Print 

Author Topic: BFM Imposters  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Herk130

• Newbie Poster
BFM Imposters
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:34:12 PM »
Be careful people, there are a lot of these guys out there. I came across a BFM_easykill that wasnt the real one. Very vulger language and teamnading. I also ran across a BFM_Fuzion that was not real. Keep your eyes open.

Btw, should we be reporting these people? And also, what if they start taking other non BFM names in order to give us decent players a bad name, resulting in innocent people getting kicked or worse, banned?

Herk130

Offline AR~H@ngm@n

• Posts Too Much
  • ~Got rope? No worries, I brought enough for you~
Re: BFM Imposters
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:12:33 PM »
Herk,

The above situation is why the admins MUST see the infractions before we kick or ban.  Also, as we come to know those who are true racers, we can determine for ourselves when if somebody is "impostering" one of our regular guests. 

So long as you follow the rules, it would never be an issue.  Here is an example:  A fictitious "Herk130" comes into the server and causes problems and gets kicked several times.  You then come in after they have left.  Because you follow the rules, there wouldn't be an issue because you are racing and not causing issues.  Let's take the example a little further.  If the fake Herk130 got banned on a server, it wouldn't cause you any problems.  We don't ban by name but by CD hash, which is unique to YOUR CD.

There is a downside, however.  If the fake Herk130 started enough trouble to be memorable, it may indeed start to spill over onto you.   Unfortunately, that is how some people think.  They want to cause problems for valued guests by making profiles with those guests names.  Heck, as you have even seen, BFM members get impostered on a regular basis.  The best way to combat that is to keep doing what you are doing:  keep to the rules, race regularly and good things will happen.

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
  • You've gotta think fast to be fast!
    • A Sonic Fan's paradise! ^^
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
To further add to what Hangman has said, In a situation where someone is impostering an existing member they would be banned immediately upon discovery.  If someone just puts tags in front of their name however, we can't just ban them because we have to assume they misunderstood our recruitment process.  The exception to this is names like "BFM_****" or if they put on tags and then cause trouble to try to give us a bad name.  I hope that clears things up for you :)

Sonic
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Special thanks to Mr T for the sonic sig!! :D
You found my secret message!  PM me for a prize!

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:17:37 AM »
Also be aware that there is another uh... "BFM" clan out there; it just doesn't stand for Beg For Mercy... I'm not going to bother saying what it stands for because it's bad... very bad...

Admins might know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:20:55 AM by ¥Mderms¥ »

Offline kjell easy

• Newbie Poster
  • kick it!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »
yeah i came across a fake BFM_Medic' too. i think it was an entire fake BFM server though. it was really weird.

Thanks for the old school sig NOOGIE

Thanks to Diehard6309 for the sweet sig!

Offline Marc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:11:40 AM »
there is already a fake BFM server  :cop:  so becarful

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »
Also be aware that there is another uh... "BFM" clan out there; it just doesn't stand for Beg For Mercy... I'm not going to bother saying what it stands for because it's bad... very bad...

Admins might know what I'm talking about.

Offline VxT

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »
Quoting your own post? what? lol

Yes, we know, nubs who are jealous because they can't make a real clan, nor even get into a decent one.

;D

Thanks Hangman!

Water found on Mars!

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »
Yea...

:arghfist: ;D

Print