Print 

Author Topic: What can 1400 inmates do?  (Read 1820 times)

Offline BFM_SirTaco

• BFM Admin
  • Bother!!!!!
What can 1400 inmates do?
« on: March 02, 2008, 09:54:28 AM »
well they can do this

Quote from the youtube channel:

Some people really can't believe that this prison dance actually is happening and it has proven to be an effective tool for transforming extremely negative people into positive individuals. Because they cant understand that, they seek their only refuge which is influencing viewers that what we are doing is wrong. They desperately even go to the extent of spreading nasty lies about "forcing" inmates to dance and inmates are "beaten" if they don't participate in the jail's "physical fitness program" Some producers of documentaries even slant their stories just to be controversial and make a fast buck. The sad thing is that some viewers are so naive and cant rationalized the producers biases and being one sided. Some even suggest that these prisones don't deserve this humane method coz they feel there is too much recreation and inmates are to be treated severely. There are also sick people who think that dancing is a form of cruel punishment! Since when was dancing categorized as punishment? My fellow citizens of the world, CRUEL and VIOLENT forms of punishment are a thing of the past. If we make jails a living heck for the prisoners, then, we might just be sending out devils once they are released and re-integrated to society. To all "non-believers" of humane treatment of prisoners, and , to all "haters" of our NON-VIOLENT APPROACH TO REHABILITATION all i can say is ...GET A LIFE!

they bring in a team of choreographers for 3 weeks a bi annually to get all this sorted out and then they preform for the governor twice a year

they also do mucis like thriller and some black eye peas and they recently did the Soja Boy!

let me know what you think

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 06:54:44 PM by BFM_Hydra »

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
Re: What can 1400 inmates do?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
Wow.   All i can say is... wow.
It looks like this is a japanese prison.  If that's so, then I can fully understand this.  It shows how much the japanese are ahead of us Americans!
I think this is a great way to shape the characters of prison inmates.  It seemed like the inmates (at least the ones in front) liked dancing.  Lots of grins and smiles from them.  I didn't even see any guards, so this must've been partly out of free will.
One way people learn is by the actions of higher-status individuals.  If the guards and warrens treat their inmates like dirt, then because they have to respect them, the inmates will turn out bad if not worse than the guards.
We think that treating inmates like dirt will cause them to be better individuals.  This is only out of fear.  Fear of being punished severely as well as fear of returning to prison. (1984 reference) If this is how our society works, then I am ashamed to be a part of it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:25:54 AM by Goalie »
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline nd

• Junior Poster
  • Stickman made by Sprite :D
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »
Haha. That's awesome. They dance better than me  :doh:
You’ve got to fight, fight, fight, for FSU
You’ve got to scalp ‘em Seminoles;
You’ve got to win, win, win, win win this game
And roll on down and make those goals
For FSU is on the warpath now,
and at the battle’s end she’s great
So fight, fight, fight, fight to victory,
our Seminoles from Florida State.
F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E
Florida State, Florida State, Florida State, WOOO!

Offline BFM_SirTaco

• BFM Admin
  • Bother!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »
its a mexican prison

Offline JuiceBox!

• Senior Poster
  • The personal text I wanted to put here was too lon
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »
That actually looked very fun. What better way to shape your character than to dance to some jammin' tunes? I'm sure those people were enjoying it because all the dance moves looked pretty enthusiastic. Hooray for good music and dancing! d_b :singer: d_b

Offline Xopher.tm

• Newbie Poster
  • Your Camp-Fu is weak...
You decide.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »
 This is what Wikipedia has to say...

Thriller (viral video)

A remake of Michael Jackson's Thriller music video[1] by prison inmates from the Philippines has become a popular viral video.[1][2][3][4]

The video was uploaded to YouTube by Byron Garcia, a security consultant for the local government, who is also credited with starting the program of choreographed exercise routines for the inmates.[1][2]

On December 19, 2007, Time Magazine placed the inmates' Cebu Thriller as 5th in the list of chosen 10 "most popular viral videos" of the year. Time's stated description of the prisoners was: "Orange-jumpsuited accused murderers, rapists and drug dealers paid homage to Michael Jackson's Thriller in a dance performance filmed at the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center in the Philippines (CPDRC)."[5] As of February 7, 2008, the inmates' video hit 11,467,295 views, 26,290 comments, and 55,588 favorites. [2] Comparatively speaking, as of January 29, 2008, Michael Jackson-Thriller YouTube video had only 5,618,043 views, 13,883 comments, and 32,637 favorites. Thus, on December 27, 2007, Vice Mayor Michael Rama, acting mayor of Cebu City, noted the inmates’ request to be in the Sinulog Festival as Sinulog Foundation executive director Ricky Ballesteros informed the former of the possibility of CPDRC’s participation.[6][7]

Background

Garcia originally wanted to introduce a program at Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) where inmates would exercise for an hour each day. He saw waves of prisoners in the exercise yard and thought it looked good.[3]

He introduced an exercise program where the prisoners marched in unison, starting out with marching to the beat of a drum, but moved on to dancing to pop music; he began with one of his favourite songs, Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2).[3] He chose camp music such as In The Navy and Y.M.C.A. by The Village People, so macho prisoners would not be offended at being asked to dance.[1]

Garcia's first upload of prisoner choreography was the Algorithm March[8], but this was almost entirely ignored. Thriller was uploaded on July 17, 2007[9].

Response

Thriller became an instant hit, reaching as much as 300,000 views per day. A performance of the routine at Cebu City's Founding Day celebrations resulted in a donation of 1.6 million pesos. Each inmate received 1000 pesos.[10]

On October 6, 2007, Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal visited CPDRC for the first time, and the prisoners performed six dances for him, as part of the celebration of the Prison Awareness Month; the Archbishop noted "It was a marvelous show of discipline. If only they had practiced that (discipline) in their lives, they wouldn’t be here.”[11]

Garcia is currently teaching the inmates Together In Electric Dreams, which will be presented to his sister, the provincial governor Gwendolyn Garcia, on her birthday in October.[12][13]

[edit] Abuse Claims

The British Channel 4 Documentary "Murderers on the Dancefloor" broadcast in January 2008 portrayed life in the prison. The program showed various inmates praising Byron Garcia, the founder of the initiative - many of whom had tattoos praising Mr Garcia. However, it also featured an anonymous ex-inmate who claimed Mr Garcia employs certain prisoners to beat prisoners who refuse to dance. Garcia was filmed in the documentary holding an American M4 rifle, saying "This is an M16 M4 rifle, and it can make people dance", before aiming the rifle at the cameraman. This statement was acknowledged as a joke by the narrator.

[edit] Presentations / Dances

* Algorithm March (Japanese Song)
    * Bebot - Black Eyed Peas
    * Canon in D
    * Dayang Dayang
    * Do the Hustle - (Marching) / Previous tune: YMCA
    * Do the Hustle - (Line Dance)
    * Gregorian Chant
    * Hail Holy Queen - Sister Act
    * I will follow Him - Sister Act
    * Jumbo Hotdog
    * Jump
    * Radio Gaga - Queen
    * Rico Mambo
    * Soulja Boy
    * The Haruhi Dance (Hare Hare Yukai)
    * Thriller - Michael Jackson (Most Popular)
    * Together in Electric Dreams

[edit] Performers

Crisanto Nierre plays Michael Jackson's role in the video. He is pleased that his relatives worldwide have seen his performance. The openly gay inmate Wenjiel Resane plays the role of Michael Jackson's girlfriend.

[edit] Dancing for Discipline

The Thriller video inspired a short documentary by young filmmaker Pepe Diokno, entitled Dancing For Discipline. The documentary is a pointed examination of the cultures of power in Philippine systems, with telling interviews of Byron Garcia and inmates Wenjiel Resane and Crisanto Niere. In a column for the Philippine Star Diokno writes, "Jails are a microcosm of society, and in them we can clearly see how the cultures of power and patronage play. This is what Dancing for Discipline is about."[14]

The film was funded from a grant by USAID through the Asia Foundation, and is part of a series of short films about Philippine jails, entitled Rock the Rehas. The three other films in the series are DokumenTADO: Rock the Rehas by Tado Jimenez, Buhay Looban by Lourd de Veyra, and 1048:2261 by Gang Badoy. [15] These premiered on November 25, 2007, in Makati, Philippines, with Philippine Supreme Court Justice Reynato Puno in attendance, hailing the effort.

Notes

(Notes removed by Racer X due to link complications and such; may have lead to inappropriate contents. sorry about that.)

~Edited to remove comments and related videos from YouTube~
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:42:30 PM by Racer X »
BFM application submitted 2007-10-18.

Print