Print 

Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 9549 times)

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 04:39:58 AM »
hmmm well our prices vary between $AU1.30-1.40 per Litre. That is about $US4.58- 4.93 per gallon (and seems to be going to the 1.40-1.50 mark as well)

and the Americans are complaining about high gas/petrol prices LOL

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 04:49:48 AM »
hmmm well our prices vary between $AU1.30-1.40 per Litre. That is about $US4.58- 4.93 per gallon (and seems to be going to the 1.40-1.50 mark as well)

Look at it this way, gas prices in America have tripled in around 10 years.  In my business this makes the cost of business so much higher so we must adapt to it, and basically charge more, which makes people buy less, and of course they have to buy gas too so they have less money and buy less, and then there is the morgage situation and home building economic woes, combined with the grain shortages which have caused near y2k like panic among some.  So I'm hunkering down storing water and canned food for when the hungry mobs try to come here and steal my tomato sauce.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:08:01 AM by BFM_Taipan »

Offline RUSTY0

• Junior Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 05:00:21 AM »
  3.23 regular here. Driving a 3/4 ton pickup I dont go far, bout 50 to fill a tank.
So I'm fixing my 68 bug in self defense. Ive been studying alternative fuels. Yeah
bio-diesil's cool if you have something that'l burn it. But that,ethanol and the cost of gas are driving crop prices up. Plus its still not clean and the energy per units not as high as gas is. I see 4 requirments for an alternative to be sucessfully accepted by the public. Reasonable cost, practicality of the vehicle and fuel, ease of
maintenance and simplicity. Energy per unit, its human nature to want a vehicle to go at a good clip. The only fuel I've seen that fits that bill is liquid hydrogen. For the non chemists you use electrolisis to crack water. The juice can be produced
in a varity of ways that dont pollute. Personally I like nuke plants, theres problems with waste storage  but its efficent till the other ways catch up. HY just makes water and carbon dioxide when its burned and the energy levels decent. Existing
vehicles can be converted. The problem is containment of liquid HY in a crash but I'm sure their getting close to solving that. And all the performance tricks we use now would still work just fine, turbos, superchargers,nitrous ect. Hope I live to see the day when I can go fast and make water :shades:

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 05:08:18 AM »

Look at it this way, gas prices in America have tripled in around 10 years.  In my business this makes the cost of business so much higher so we must adapt to it, and basically charge more, which makes people buy less, and of course they have to buy gas too so they have less money and buy less, and then there is the morgage situation and home building economic woes, combined with the grain shortages which have caused near y2k like panic among some.  So I'm hunkering down storing water and canned food for when the hungry mobs try to come here and steal my tomato sauce.

lol

yeah our prices have little over double since my living memory (they were $AU0.6 per litre when I was young). My car does about 300-400Km per tank so thats about a week and 1/2 for me since I only basically go to uni with it

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 05:14:18 AM »
Yup. In the 17 years I've been here they've gone from 60 cents to $1.50 where I am in the country. I know it's increased all over the world. I find it disgusting we are still paying so much since we supply 50% of all our consumed petrol from local sources...

I'm moving to Venezuela. They pay 6 cents a litre (Australian $) LOL!!!! Mainly, of course, because they produce all of theirs.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 06:03:29 AM »

The only reason the United States is so high is because we don't have enough oil resources in Alaska and Texas to support ourselves, having to rely on foreign sources.

Also Saudi Arabia wants more $$ :sweatdrop:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:14:00 AM by ¥Mderms¥ »

Offline RUSTY0

• Junior Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 06:54:26 AM »

Actually we do in the gulf and alaska and off Cal. Envirmentalist and big oil not building refinerys are putting a stop to that. And I think part of that is keeping it so we'll have it when nobody else does.

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 07:28:22 AM »
That too.

Alaska actually has more Gold deposits than Oil... :interesting:

EDIT:

Really if you think about it, the United States has little in the way of natural resources, other than Corn (IOWA BABY! :Woop: ), Gold, Cotton in the south, and Coal and various others.

America depends heavily on the help of other countries to feed funding into crap like the War on Terrorism. If others were to cut that funding, or worse, revoke it; America would be in a heap of trouble. Which is why I WANT to vote for Barack Obama because if McCane gets elected? The crap you've seen in the past eight years, you will see for another four.

I don't want to discuss politics here, just stating my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:38:03 AM by ¥Mderms¥ »

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »
Actually, Rusty, bio-diesel is worse than regular, which Mxy posted about a while back. The costs (money and environmental) outweigh the benefits by far.

We have a lot of Uranium here in Colorado, too. There are a lot more countries that have few resources (per capita) compared to us.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline BFM_DarkFyr

• BFM Admin
  • Forza Vale
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 05:25:28 PM »
well.... here over in New Zealand ours is $2.37 US        $1.83 NZ ..  (litre)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:17:47 PM by βlâçκ Fìrê »

Offline Snake 3-1-3

• Senior Poster
  • Snake 3-1-3
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »
well here in mexico is about $2.80 dollars the gallon :cool_old:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »

'Shudda boughta in-ground gasoline storage tank instead!

Epic Fail!

:winkgrin:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Plixity

• Posts Too Much
  • I'm in your base, killing your mans.
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 10:51:45 AM »
Around here is about $3.80 for the cheap stuff. Around $4.07 for the expensive.

Offline CCBigBoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »
In Brazil the prices of gas and gasoline is cheap because we have petroleum a lot !!!
CC=BigBoy+-
 d_b :yesyes: d_b

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 04:43:49 AM »
I envy BigBoy :K

I have to say, Australia is very rich in many resources, one of the richest in the world, EXCEPT for OIL..GAH!

We have...

-Coal
-Uranium
-Gold
-Silver
-Opal
-Diamond
-Iron ore
-Aluminium
-Zinc
-Lead
-Copper
-Magnesium
-Nickel
-Titanium

And then we have this tiny little deposit of oil in the Bass Strait - located between Victoria and Tasmania. How coincidental :toughguy:

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Print