Print 

Author Topic: Favorite USB headset?  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Jam

• Junior Poster
Favorite USB headset?
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:30:15 AM »
I'm looking for a high quality headset that is comfortable,  I would appreciate any suggestions, especially from folks on vent.

Thanks.

Offline =TH= Batman

• Posts Too Much
Re: Favorite USB headset?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:19:06 AM »
well many people have different 1s out there but i like this ---->1

Offline Igor

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »
My favourite is this
: )
But it is a bit pricey, but worth it.
~Former BFM Sergeant ~
~ Arrived 20/08/2007 - 23/11/2009 Departed... ~

Offline §§}Compdude

• Posts Too Much
  • Runs With Scissors!
    • Xtremission
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
I don't like USB headsets at all any more. I used to have several Logitech headsets. Sure, they're easier to use, but I haven't found one yet that has a halfway decent audio processor in it. If you play any games that use EAX or High-Def audio a USB headset will either not support it, not support it fully (cutting out) or do something else odd.

Much easier to stick with a regular headset and a good sound card.

Although, those Barracudas that Igor posted look promising. I still hold that there's no replacement for displacement (if the sound card is small, it cannot perform as well as a larger high end card)
License and registration, sir!

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
I got This One on sale for 20 bucks and I've had i for about 6-8 months. I love it.
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Jam

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I checked out the reviews of all of these on either Amazon or RadioShack.  They were very mixed.  It's hard to know how much to stress over this, but it's nice to have something that works well.  One plus is that if I go with the RadioShack one I can just drive over to the store a few blocks away and get it.

I sort of get the feeling that the technology must be the same for all of these and then it's all in the marketing where they make their sale... hmm...

KJM5

Offline KØËHL£®

• Senior Poster
  • »Püre Intimidatiön²
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »
My first USB headset was SAWEEEEET! I could easily wear it all day if I had to, and it would NEVER get uncomfortable. It was an Altec Lansing, and you can find it ON EBAY HERE. The audio on it was tolerably good, BUT.....

I had the headset about a year, and the headset died, but the USB adapter still works like a charm and I use it with my CURRENT headset which is made by HP, FOUND HERE. The audio on this one is MUCH better than the Altec Lansing, but it kind of hurts your ears with extensive wear (at least mine), I've since grown used to it. I deal with the discomfort for the premium audio quality, I'm just that picky about my sound!  :winkgrin:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body;
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting:
HOLY SMOKES! WHAT A RIDE!

KØËHL£® - Over and Out, 7-3's 8-8's

Offline Daigoro

• Posts Too Much
  • shishogan...swordsman's eyes
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »
I'm very happy with my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000. Works great with the Mac (I think you're a Mac user?). And people have commented on my velvety dulcet tones.
Sincerely,
Daigoro

Offline Draucus

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is more than the sum of it's parts.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »
My headset is not a USB headset.  My headset is an altec lansing headset (Skype).  It is kinda like the one that KØËLH£® has showed you on ebay.  It's just slightly different.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline Jam

• Junior Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:56:23 PM »
Ok, so after reading everyone's input and on-line reviews, everything is all over the place.  So I decided to dredge up actual technical specs, figure out what they mean, and then compare them.  Some brands don't even report the specs, but for those that do it was very interesting.  Keep in mind that you also have to compare the microphone specs, not just the audio specs. The key variables that differentiated the products were the audio's "sensitivity"- the efficiency and volume you can expect from a device relative to the input power, and then the microphone's frequency range- i.e. can people hear the lows and highs in your voice- as well as its sensitivity. Higher sensitivity and wider frequency range are better.

First, all the Logitech products had mediocre specs. For the Notebook headset Batman mentioned, audio sensitivity was only 42 dB and its mic range was only 100-10,000 Hz. Note that the human ear can hear the range from 20-20,000 Hz!

Next up was Plantronics.  Well, they don't report any specs! sheesh!

Similarly, I couldn't find specs for Gigaware products sold through Radioshack.

Then came Altec Lansing.  They don't report sensitivities, but the mic's freq response was only 100-10000 Hz.

Next up come the more serious gaming headsets.

The fancy Razer headset for $120 (on newegg.com) did not provide the audio sensitivity, but the mic frequency range was 50-16000 Hz, so that's good. Its sensitivity was 58 dB, and that is very good. User reviewers were highly mixed, with many people having them break or not work with their system. Apparently you are supposed to also buy their sound card for another $150 to get the right result.  Ugh.

In contrast, consider the Edimensional Audiofx gaming headset for $55 on newegg.com.  It has an audio sensitivity of 106 dB.  Now we're getting somewhere!  It has a mic freq range of 30-16000 Hz and a mic sensitivity of 58 dB.  So here is one that has the courage to report full specs, and they sound great.  The unit also has a force feedback.  Unfortunately, user comments on Amazon.com and newegg.com were mixed, with several people raising concerns about the microphones, including a negative comment about them on vent. Also, it has lights on the outside designed to show your family and friends how "intense your game is" because the lights flash, which most people found to be pointless and distracting if you prefer to be in the dark.

So then I took a look at the Tritton Audio eXtreme PC for $70.  These have audio sensitivity of 107 dB, mic freq range of 20-12000 Hz, and mic sensitivity of 110 dB.   Reviews were again mixed, but the specs sure look good.

Then there is the Creative Fatal1ty Gamer headset for $44. This one is "approved" by the famous gamer of that name  However, the specs are mediocre, only reporting an audio sensitivity of 40 dB and no mic specs.  There were fewer reviews, but they were mostly positive.

Finally, I checkout the top-of-the-line Sennheiser PC166 USB headset for $84. It has an audio sensitivity of a top score 114-118 dB.  Its mic freq range is 80-15000 Hz, with a sensitivity of 38 dB.

Bottom line: if you want to feel the boom of the game, then the Edimensional and Tritton units seem like worth a shot.  Since my biggest concern is having a great mic for vent, I'm going to dish out the dough and try the Sennheiser.  I figure if it is no good, I'll know as soon as you all tell me on vent, and then I can reutnr them and try the Edimensional, if it comes to it...

Anyway,  let me know if you catch a glitch in my assessment.

cheers,

KJM5

Offline Daigoro

• Posts Too Much
  • shishogan...swordsman's eyes
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »
"The voiced speech of a typical adult male will have a fundamental frequency of from 85 to 155 Hz" ("Voice Frequency" in Wikipedia). Of course there are harmonics but your voice will be clear with only a few harmonics I would think -- the fourth harmonic is at 2480 Hz, which is in the fundamental frequency range of the highest octave on a piano. I think distortion and sensitivity would be the most important measurement if you will only use your mic for voice.   Also the quality of the digital/analog converter would have a big impact, but there are probably no specs for that.

Will you use your headset to listen to music? I imagine the sets you are looking at would have pretty good headphones in them. My cheap USB headphones roll off the high frequencies above around 600 Hz or so. That may be related to the fact that the highest standard mouse sampling frequency is 1000 Hz.
Sincerely,
Daigoro

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 01:44:07 AM »
Sounds KJM5. Good to see you did some research ::)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Jam

• Junior Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 09:17:54 AM »
Thanks for the 411 Diagoro.  So it looks like the Sennheiser, Edimensional, and Tritton headsets cover the full range of voice frequencies, while the others, including logitech, miss the lower part.  I have a logitech mic right now, so we can compare how it sounds to have the Sennheiser mic.  Hopefully it will come this week.

I wish we could compare all those other factors you mention, but no one provides any specs.  :bang: Headset sales seem driven largely by marketing, not facts.  So much easier to buy the right hard drive!  Too bad I can't just buy all the headsets, try them out, and then send back all but the best one...

I plan to use the headset primarily for Halo and vent, but you never know what will come up.

See you around.

KJM5

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »
lol ny headset is kind of a weird situation.. I use the mic from a headset, but I put the headset around me neck so the mic sticks up into the range of my voice..
then I have a stereo of mine in my room that I have headphones attached to so I use those(really nice ones-old but work INCREDIBLY well).

I dont even know what my headset is made by or anything It just works :P

unfortunetly my computer wont work.... gah!
A part of the winning teams for season 9, 10, 13, 17, 18 and now 19. Thanks for all of the great memories guys :D

Offline Jam

• Junior Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 10:16:53 PM »
Sounds like quite a contraption you've rigged up!

KJM5

Print