Print 

Author Topic: chem  (Read 4207 times)

Offline snowkiller

• Posts Too Much
  • The best team ever!
chem
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »
i need help with converting moles to mass, mass to mole, percent yield, actual yield, theoretical yield. like i know to do it i just dont get it.

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
Re: chem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »
n= number of mole
m= mass in grams
M= Molar Mass of element/molecule

n=m/M

When using this formula, ensure that the mass is always in grams, and that you add the molar mass up correctly.

In terms of yields:

Theoretical Yield - The yield you expect to find from the experiment/reaction, assuming the reactions were all 100% complete, all measurements were 100% accurate, and no other mass of any reactants was lost during the experiment. This is all calculated by yourself using the above formula, and all the amounts of the reacting substances that you believed you had BEFORE the experiment. Remember that the maximum amount of any substance you obtain at the end of the experiment is all dependant on the LIMITING REAGENT.

Actual Yield - The yield that you have calculated from figures obtained AFTER the experiment. usually by weighing the precipitate obtained at the end. Generally these two figures should be quite close. Close figures indicates a well conducted experiment.

Percent Yield - Actual Yield/Theoretical Yield. Sort of a measure of how accurate the experiment was. :)

Limiting Reagent - Using the n=m/M forumla and given information, it is important to determine which reactant you have in the experiment is going to limiting the amount of product you calculate at the end. This is dependant on the Coefficients in front of the reactants according to the equation of the reaction. Example:

xHCl + yNaOH -> zWater + tNaCl

In this case, each of the coefficients required to complete the reaction is one. However this is not always the case. Example:

xH2SO4 + yNaOH -> zWater + tNa2SO4

In the above case x = 1, y=2, z=2 and t=1. This means that you require DOUBLE the amount of NaOH compared to Sulfuric Acid in the reaction. Remember to apply that to your limiting reagent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To conclude, the purpose of this simple chemistry and the reasons for the process above is simply to find: If i have so much of A and so much of B, how much do i have of the Product C?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 02:49:16 AM by BFM_Exodus »

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline snowkiller

• Posts Too Much
  • The best team ever!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 05:34:40 PM »
oh  i get it now thanks

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:58:56 AM »
Your very welcome. Hope it helps. :)

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline snowkiller

• Posts Too Much
  • The best team ever!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
it did i got a big pop quiz today and my teacher greaded them and i got an 83%  :yesyes: thanks so much once again  :)

Offline Draucus

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is more than the sum of it's parts.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:25 PM »
well congratulations, snowkiller!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »
it did i got a big pop quiz today and my teacher greaded them and i got an 83%  :yesyes: thanks so much once again  :)
Means this board has potential.

As a college student, I will try and help out my fellow peers as much as I can.  Only if Exodus doesn't beat me to it  :P
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
Nice work Snowkiller.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

BFM_Warlord

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
Exodus you did a fantastic job.I commend you my friend.Thanks for taking time out of your day to help others.That goes for all of you.Please don't be offended if someone helps someone before you can.These people probally need help as soon as they can get it.If someone happens to be on that can help they should.I just don't think anyone should feel bad because they didn't get the chance.Your chance will come.It is also just knowing you want to help that makes a differance as well.

Print