Print 

Author Topic: 80 mm case cooling fans?  (Read 1336 times)

Offline ToMaHaWk

• Regular Poster
  • Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
80 mm case cooling fans?
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:29:51 AM »
For as long as I can remember I've had a noisy case fan. I finally got around to replacing it last night with a newer, quieter one. However, when I went back and replaced it, it dawned on me that I have an extra slot right below it where I can mount another fan.

Now, I'm a straight-up beginner when it comes to computer building. I put together my computer by myself; however, I took it to a local computer shop to make sure I put everything in the right place. All I know how to do is put the pieces of the puzzle where they match up. Unfortunately, I don't really understand the compatibility between each component.

With that said, I was wondering if I should buy another 80 mm fan and install it in the spot just below my new and current fan. If you guys do recommend me to buy another fan, should I have it aligned same as the one above it? Meaning, should I have both drawing air in or both pushing air out or should I have one drawing air in and the other pushing the air out? (I'm thinking it's the latter of all the choices)

As usual, I love learning about new things and sometimes I learn them on my own. However, I may make incorrect assumptions about what I've read so...I may be entirely wrong... :sad: So, any help and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Re: 80 mm case cooling fans?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:11:37 AM »
Would it help though? Check your current temperatures n stuff like that. I doubt it matters that much if you get one any way. The only small ("noobed") worry i might have is matching intake amount with outtake and whether having too much extraction would cause any strain on the intake fans. But then theres so many holes and gaps in a case its again probably no biggy.

If its got those poncey little LED lights on it though, LEAVE IT ALONE  :LOL: Well its something i regret mate i got myself a little green and blue disco going on in the corner of my room.
It just needs a spoiler, body kit and a performance filter now...
:XD:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »

LOL, Octane!  (Yeah, it's getting harder and harder to find a plain old case fan any more!...)

If you installed your new (rear) case fan in the upper of the two places available, you don't/won't need the other one until you get a 1000-watt PSU or better!  ;D

...And I assume that you mounted your new fan blowing OUT the back, yes??  ::)

;D

;)

FYI: I have a 680W PSU, and some very HOT components in my case, and I have 4 fans total: on-mobo mini-fan, CPU, rear case (120mm), and case side (80mm) and everything is fine.... Note, however, that my case front has airflow fins on it to divert air around case-front metal obstruction! KEWL!
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:12:45 PM »
My last PC blew out more than a year ago, I believe, due to faulty fans - there was even a black burnt mark on the mobo due to some kind of short. After that I did a lot of looking into fans and cooling (for us simple PC builders, none of that liquid cooling stuff). I read all over and best I could find was a little research that a guy did with fan placement. In general, he found little change in the core and ambient temps of his system adding an "extra" intake fan on his system - I think he had already had one on it. There was only a slight change with only 1 intake fan when it was removed and the biggest difference was adding/removing the 120mm out take fan. That said I have a 80mm intake and a 120mm out take fan in addition to my heat sink fan. I run a 650 and a 720 Watt power supple on my 2 systems and they run cool enough for me and my temp gauge runs on my desktop. I did a very brief test of my own adding the extra 80mm fan right above my other and also noticed no difference so did not get more fans. I did not do any averages or anything or really stress my system. I just played halo and eyeballed the numbers now and then for a day or two.

Offline ToMaHaWk

• Regular Poster
  • Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »

LOL, Octane!  (Yeah, it's getting harder and harder to find a plain old case fan any more!...)

...And I assume that you mounted your new fan blowing OUT the back, yes??  ::)

Well, my old case fan was plain ol' flat black. Too bad it isn't working right anymore...

....and as for the mounting fan: I mounted it the same way the old one was (which was blowing in...).

I guess I should change that.  :doh: Shows what I know!  :sad:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »

Ya: IN front, OUT back.

Why? Because the PSU fan is ALREADY blowing out the back, and if you pull air in from there... it'll be warmed already!

:doh:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print