Print 

Author Topic: Foreign Languages  (Read 1200 times)

Offline HogZlla

• Posts Too Much
Foreign Languages
« on: August 09, 2008, 08:13:09 AM »
I just read the posting Jim did (Using Languages other than English to speak to someone who doesn't speak English) and it reminded me of something I thought about at some point in the past. If you have an admin that speaks the language a player is speaking, why not let them play? If the admin knows what they're saying then there shouldn't be a problem taking care of the player. The only thing I see being a problem is the other players wouldn't know what was being said, and I guess that could be considered rude?...

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: Foreign Languages
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:06:42 AM »
There is that and the question fairness...or more presicely the apearece of fairness.  If we allow one person an exception to the language rule then we get questioned on why we don't allow others an exception.  I don't think that there is a perfect answer to this either way.  I do think it is reasonable to give more leeway to someone who appears to hanestly have a language barrier and is trying to play honestly.  The problem of course is the many mischieveous players out there who use there knowledge of foring languages to play with our admins.  We won't always be able to tell the difference between the honest ones and the ones trying to play with us.  So the rule will stay in place but our admins will, as ususal, have the ability to give a little leeway or be more strict, based on the situation, to apply the rule in what seems to be the "right way".

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Print