Print 

Author Topic: Another Question For You  (Read 1826 times)

Offline InhaledScarr

• Junior Poster
Another Question For You
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
Ok, so i have a vista comp and blob has halo, so whenever i try to install halo, it installs, then i try to play it and it says i need administrative rights, so im wondering how to make it work so i can play halo on my vista laptop.

I decided this was more a tech related question rather than a question for the officers. You can find some very helpful people here at the Tech Support & Chat board who will be more than willing to help you solve your problems.

~HaWk
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:49:18 PM by BFM_HaWk »

made By BFM_Benjy

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
Re: Another Question For You
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:50:17 PM »
Why would Halo need admin rights to play? It is installed, after all...

Did blob run it after he played it? Possibly Halo needs to make a bunch of files in it's Program Files directory, which non-admins typically can't write in.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline InhaledScarr

• Junior Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:53:23 PM »
well its like, i install it, i belive all the items are there, but when i go to play it, tha patch installs, then after that i run the game, and it says i need administrative rights to play, which i got no clue what do to from there, i will be trying to run halo again of Thursday Night/Friday morning, so if anyone wants to try to help, i have

XFire ~ scar911, also thanks for the help Lavacano

made By BFM_Benjy

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »
Well, try running it as admin (RightClick the Halo Shortcut, Run as Administrator), letting it load up, connect to a server and play for a bit, let it make it's files as it goes, and it might work.

If not, I have no clue.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:19:22 PM »

You can also right click, select Properties, then under Advanced, check the box to Run as Administrator.  If there is an Administrator password you might have to type that each time.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »

What they ^^^ said: You MUST have it set to run as an admin....
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline InhaledScarr

• Junior Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 07:26:29 AM »
ahhh ok, now i see where you all are getting at, ill try that tomorrow night, when blob brings halo over, also which program do i need to make my laptop think that there is a CD in the CD drive?

made By BFM_Benjy

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
ahhh ok, now i see where you all are getting at, ill try that tomorrow night, when blob brings halo over, also which program do i need to make my laptop think that there is a CD in the CD drive?

If you've updated to v1.08 - which you MUST'VE done if you're still playing in the BFM servers - then you NO LONGER NEED THE CD. (Except to re-install later if Halo gets wiped out or corrupted by SW you add/run like Halo font modifier programs....)

Offline InhaledScarr

• Junior Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 06:38:33 PM »
oh Mxy i wanted to know what that program was called

made By BFM_Benjy

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
oh Mxy i wanted to know what that program was called

You don't need any program.

Once you've installed Halo on your machine and updated to v1.08 you can put the CD in safe keeping (until you need it to REinstall someday.)

The 1.08 patch ALSO made it so that you no longer need to have the Halo CD in your CD/DVD drive while playing any more!  :dance:

... Or now that I look at it... it's unclear, but are you asking what software to use as a "virtual CD drive?"

That's useless unless you ALSO have a CD drive to make the CD image from somewhere....

Offline InhaledScarr

• Junior Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:25:27 PM »
hmm, well im like wondering how it works, first off, Mxy do you have Xfire or Skype, so we can chat later on today? it would be a lot easier

made By BFM_Benjy

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 11:34:02 PM »
The program you are speaking about is called 'Deamon Tool'. It basically lets you play a CD without having it actually in your computer. However, you need a CD image. - You will not find any tutorial or downloads of this image on BFM forums, so i dont suggest looking :P

You don't need any program.

Once you've installed Halo on your machine and updated to v1.08 you can put the CD in safe keeping (until you need it to REinstall someday.)

The 1.08 patch ALSO made it so that you no longer need to have the Halo CD in your CD/DVD drive while playing any more!  :dance:

As Mxy said, the new patch for halo (1.08), does not require you to have your CD of halo in your drive.

~d3struct

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 09:18:18 PM »

Ya, well.... there's a good reason that I never suggest ANY virtual CD/DVD software, other than the one, bulletproof, commercial one that I use (for $$), ESPECIALLY deamontools!

You see, DT installs a driver that has become a MAJOR target for virus-writers, since the driver it installs installs OUTSIDE OF WINDOWS, and therefore can mask itself from any/all virus scanning SW.

What's more, even if you UNinstall DT, the driver does NOT get uninstalled, and it must be removed manually, and carefully, WITHOUT Windows running IN ANY FORM.

So, I suggest folks just stay away from VDC "freeware," period.

I mean, good VDC software costs around $30, folks....

Scar: I'm on and off a lot these days, so xfire probably isn't going to expedite things anyway....  Sry.

Print