Print 

Author Topic: End of the world as we know it??  (Read 10642 times)

Offline BFM_ImaybeU

• BFM Admin
  • Got Ping? I do!
Re: End of the world as we know it??
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »
Ha i heard they were trying to recreate the big bang theory! heres a tip for you scientist there wasnt one! it was created in 7 days. so what ever these scientist are trying it will be nothing butt a FLOP!

Hmmmm - define "day" in the cosmos where time does not exist.

On the original topic - with an accelerator so large and particles so small, what happens if they miss?   :hrmbig:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:34:48 PM by BFM_ImaybeU »

^^Thanks Warlord for the great sig!

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »
On the original topic - with an accelerator so large and particles so small, what happens if they miss?   :hrmbig:

It's a circle...they go around and try again  :doh:

I saw a special on this thing on the Discovery Channel while it was still under construction. It seems like a combination between the Cuban Missile Crisis and a gigantic piggy bank...in that tons of hype about the world ending and ends in a dud and a lot of money down the slot, per say

Even if there is a black hole, (which there is a 0.00000001 chance of happening) it will be 1/1000 of the size of a proton.

That may be true, but you should never underestimate the power of the tiny, especially when that tiny thing can suck away things faster than it takes you to see you turning on a lightbulb

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline BlindSniper

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 06:56:08 PM »
Once again proving that americans can not leave well enough alone.

if we dont kill ourselves someone will do it for us.

our gov't , the sun , cuba, Tv's

you name it it's our death
Let us always remember
that this barrels shot may ring out in the name of our country
But it also peirces the hearts of the victims family
Are u a man who can actauly say your sorry and give them a grave.
or a machine that would let the corpse lay and rot.
If you be a man join us, if you be a machine fear us.
~Blind Legends,First line sniper leader, the offical Blind Sniper~

Thx misthika

Offline AR~Archon

• Senior Poster
  • No surrender, no retreat
    • MacFire (Xfire for Mac)
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
Heh, I was so tempted to say "End of everything". ;D  I've been loosely following the LHC for a while now, but had forgotten the day had finally come.  I suppose they'll just discover something scientifically useful instead ;).
The minstrel boy to the war has gone...
Understanding is a three edged sword.  Your side, their side, and the truth.
Who are you?  What do you want?  Why are you here?  Where are you going?

Offline Stoic´

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »
Once again proving that americans can not leave well enough alone.

if we dont kill ourselves someone will do it for us.

our gov't , the sun , cuba, Tv's

you name it it's our death

It's not Americans who are the major developers of it...

CERN's collider has been under construction since 2003, financed mostly by its 20 European member states. The United States and Japan are major contributors with observer status in CERN.

Source: http://climate.weather.com/articles/atomsmash090801.html

---

Here's an interesting video made by Kate McAlpine, a Michigan State University graduate at CERN.

http://www.youtube.com/v/j50ZssEojtM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0

[Fixed link - please check out <this thread>. Thanks ~ Hlao.]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:43:42 PM by BFM_Hlao »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 11:13:33 PM »

Hmmmm, I'm listening to BBC 4 live (streaming) right now, and their doing the weather and a bit about Vodafone's radio ad legalese being read too fast for some brit's to understand....

There was a teaser about the scientists shuffling in for the firing a while back, but everything seems to be going fine. I don't know when they're actually going to get to firing...

Oh, wait!! 1hr 17 minutes to go!

'Nice knowing you all!

(OoOOO! They're talking about their 20,000 PC grid computing network at the LHC!  I wanna play Crysis on THAT!  ::)  :siderofl: )

FYI: Here's the link to directly fire off the audio player with the live BBC4 streaming broadcast. (TYs go to Slanzinger for pointing me in the right place....)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:23:55 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 11:48:17 PM »
Well, I'm now listening too, enough for Andrew Marr to say that the true question is "Why is John Humphreys heavy?", and comparing the Higg's to "Margaret Thatcher moving through a cocktail party".
Intriguing.
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »

Still here?!?  ::)

:siderofl: :winkgrin:

Ya, well, don't get all "See? I told you so!" on us just yet!

They only got ONE particle beam going in ONE direction so far. (So you see, it's running at less than 1/2 power....)

Oh, and I LOVE this part of this article I just read!:

Meanwhile, William Hill celebrated Man's continued existence. It had taken £119 from punters willing to bet that September 10 2008 would see the end of the world.

A spokesman said: "Our standard odds are 1,000,000/1, but anyone wanting longer or shorter odds is at liberty to take them. A number of customers took us up; on our offer and have bet that the world will end as a result of the Large Hadron Collider experiment."

People BET THAT THE WORLD WOULD END AS A RESULT OF THE LHC?!?!?

How the HECK did they expect to pick up their winnings?!?!

:siderofl:             :siderofl:               :siderofl:             :siderofl:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »

Still here?!?  ::)

:siderofl: :winkgrin:

Ya, well, don't get all "See? I told you so!" on us just yet!

They only got ONE particle beam going in ONE direction so far. (So you see, it's running at less than 1/2 power....)

Oh, and I LOVE this part of this article I just read!:

Meanwhile, William Hill celebrated Man's continued existence. It had taken £119 from punters willing to bet that September 10 2008 would see the end of the world.

A spokesman said: "Our standard odds are 1,000,000/1, but anyone wanting longer or shorter odds is at liberty to take them. A number of customers took us up; on our offer and have bet that the world will end as a result of the Large Hadron Collider experiment."

People BET THAT THE WORLD WOULD END AS A RESULT OF THE LHC?!?!?

How the HECK did they expect to pick up their winnings?!?!

:siderofl:             :siderofl:               :siderofl:             :siderofl:

I'm sure one of the physicist's can figure out something!!!! :wookie:

Offline KØËHL£®

• Senior Poster
  • »Püre Intimidatiön²
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh...am I still alive? Is this heaven? Looks awfully similar to life when I was alive...wait...HA!  :neckbeard: :dance: And I looked outside and saw my truck gone, thought it was the doings of a blackhole, and remembered I let my dad borrow it to go GROCERY SHOPPING!  ;D

The Large Hadron Collider (fancy that, the word that scientists came up with is being questioned by my spell-checker) went off @ 4:36am (EST/GMT-5). It only went off at half power as Mxy said already, but what really gets me is this quote from Jos Engelen, Chief science officer for CERN:

"What has been shown today is that technically, it all works."

Take that as you will, but I looked at his choice of words as simply an official confirmation of MY OWN THEORY that this whole thing is a waste of time...
Nothing but huge bills!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:38:06 PM by BFM_KØËHL£® »
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body;
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting:
HOLY SMOKES! WHAT A RIDE!

KØËHL£® - Over and Out, 7-3's 8-8's

Offline Stoic´

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »

"What has been shown today is that technically, it all works."

Take that as you will, but I looked at his choice of words as simply an official confirmation of MY OWN THEORY that this whole thing is a waste of time...
Nothing but huge bills!

But they haven't even gotten to the main part of the experiment yet; they haven't started colliding the protons which is what the whole thing is all about, right? Don't you think it's a bit early to say that it's a waste of time?

Offline KØËHL£®

• Senior Poster
  • »Püre Intimidatiön²
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »
True, they have not started to smash protons together yet, but his choice of words just gives me the sense that it will be a waste of time in the end, that's all I'm grabbing at here.  :interesting:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body;
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting:
HOLY SMOKES! WHAT A RIDE!

KØËHL£® - Over and Out, 7-3's 8-8's

Offline xen0n -

• Regular Poster
  • a winner is a loser who never gives up.
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
what, they did smash the protons together!!! I watched it on a live feed and I saw a big flash on the screen.

^^ Blast from the past, anyone remember this one? ^^

Offline Stoic´

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
Nuuh uuuh.

No actual atoms were smashed today -- that won't start for weeks -- and no results are expected for months, at the earliest. Still, like first light in a telescope, the first beam in the particle accelerator is a landmark moment for a program that has spanned more than 20 years and involved tens of thousands of scientists.

"What has been shown today is that technically it all works," said Jos Engelen, chief science officer for CERN, the European scientific research agency directing the efforts, in a live webcast from Geneva.
Next up for the collider is cranking up the energy of the proton beams to about 10 trillion electron volts, more powerful than other particle accelerators like Fermilab's Tevatron but still short of the proposed maximum collision energy of 14 trillion electron volts that the researchers hope to reach.

The next big moment will come when the first particle collisions occur. That had been tentatively scheduled for the official LHC unveiling on October 21, but the first beam firings could lead to an acceleration of that schedule.

"Based on today's evidence, things are going to move faster," said Mike Lamont, a member of CERN's beam operations team in the CERN webcast. "There's a remarkable number of systems working remarkably well -- the instrumentation, the magnets. There's still some hurdles to cross there, but we can anticipate collisions sooner than we planned."

Full article here

Offline BFM_DarkFyr

• BFM Admin
  • Forza Vale
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »
I heard the protons will take up to 4 months to get up to speed...

Print