Print 

Author Topic: accused of camping  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Smapla

• Newbie Poster
accused of camping
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »
i was recently playing sidewinder (forgot which server, sorry), and had an unpleasant experience.  i had just walked up the ramp and gotten that flag, passed through the teleporter and gotten the flag on the opposite side, and picked up a rocket launcher on the way.  i then went through the next teleporter and climbed down the ladder.  i could hear a warthog was close so i didn't run into the middle of the base, instead i stayed to the side.  i shot the warthog because 1) i didn't want to get run over, and 2) i wanted the hog to get to the opposite base.  so, lucky me, it was BFM_suprhawk and someone else in the hog.  i immediately got the "warning do not camp" message and after explaining i wasn't camping, that i was simply avoiding being run over, he just kept repeating that i should not camp.  eventually he just said to drop it, even though he never told me what was wrong with what i did, so here i am.  i want to know what i did wrong.

i'd also like to point out that it's a justified to be defensive whilst on foot.  i was run over four times while typing to suprhawk, sometimes people deliberately altering their course to hit me.  most people kill enemies on sight because they're afraid that they'll attack first.  if i didn't defend myself i'd probably have gotten run over.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: accused of camping
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »
As you can imagine two players can see the same situation from very different points of view.  The situation as you describe it already raises a few questions for me, but I was not there so I won't try to comment.  Unfortunately SuperHawk cannot respond to this thread because of the section it is posted in so give me a chance to get a response from him as to how he saw the situation.  That may shed some light on why he reacted the way he did.  Hang tight.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:01:57 AM »
Here is a description of the events that led up to Smapla's warning for Camping.

On Sidewinder, after leaving 2nd cliff and entering blue base, Smapla was waiting by the ladder (on lower level) and shot us with the Rocket Launcher.   I warned him not to camp.  I did this based on... 1) he was waiting by the ladder;  2) he was waiting long enough that he had no radar signature, and; 3) he was waiting in a place that had only one exit.

I only warned him, and tried to communicate to him "that waiting is camping".  He did continue to argue for quite a while.  I'm glad he decided to follow my suggestion that he take it to the forums.  This should allow for a better understanding of our rules.

Please tell him thanks for giving me an opportunity to explain myself.  It is so difficult during a game.  And that I look forward to racing with him in the servers. :)

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Smapla

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 09:00:05 AM »
first, sorry if this is in the wrong section, i saw a couple other similar threads so i thought this was the correct place

like i said, i could hear a warthog very close while i was climbing the ladder, so when i got to the bottom i was cautious as i couldn't tell if it was a warthog already in the base or one coming in

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »
It is understandable how things can be seen differently which is one reason I like to tell players not to take individual warnings so personally.  If, for the most part, you are known as a good racer but on a rare occasion you get a warning, don't think of it as an "accusation" but more of a hint that something didn't look right.  Just take a moment to thnk about what the admin might have seen and just continue to play your honest best.  It is not unless you start to routinely get warnings that you should worry.  Hope that helps

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »
I just had the opportunity to watch you play undercover and the "questions" that I said I had before were confirmed.  You said that you were walking up the ice ramp on sidewinder.  I wandered how that could be when you should not get out of your hog to walk the map.  I am sure you already know this because it is in our standard set of rules:

|---BFM SERVER RULES---|
      NO SNIPING, CAMPING, OR TEAM NADING
      NO PROFANITY, THIS IS A FAMILY SERVER
      PLEASE RESPECT YOUR TEAM MATES
      NO SHOOTING DOWN FROM CLIFFS OR LEDGES
      PLEASE DO NOT WALK THE MAP UNLESS THERE ARE NO HOGS
      PLEASE RESPECT THE ADMINS IN THE SERVER AND HAVE FUN

So now you should understand why you were accused of camping...because you were.  You should never have gotten out of your hog to walk the map in the first place so any killing you did on foot after that was illegal camping.  I understand that driving that ramp is one of the hardest skills to learn but you must learn it if you want to play in our servers.  Please be very careful to follow our rules at all times in the servers....even when you THINK there is no one watching.

Offline Smapla

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »
so are you "supernova"?

i needed a health pack which is why i was going up that ramp in that circumstance.  are you saying that i have to drive up the ramp just for the sake of proving that i can drive up the ramp?  i feel this would not be an issue if i was walking on level ground

also, i have to contest your opinion that i was camping.  i was trying to get to the flag on the first hill when an enemy chain gun hog leaving that area started attacking me.  i'm pretty sure i'm within rights to attack back.  if not, then i have to wonder why it's okay for an enemy moving away from a position to fire on that position, while people there can't fire on them

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »
It is not my opinion that you were camping.  I am telling you that what you did IS camping and you need to understand that.  I am not saying you have to drive the ramp so you can prove anything to us.  I am saying that if you have a hog you have to drive the ramp.  If you get out of the hog to walk the ramp you are breaking the rules.  It does not matter that you needed the health pack, you could have driven up the ramp and gotten the health pack.  What does matter is that you chose to walk rather than race in a hog.  As soon as you did that your following kills became illegal.  This also has nothing to do with whether or not you can defend yourself when being attacked, it only has to do with you getting out of a perfectly good hog to walk.....you can't do that.  When you do chose to illegally map walk all of your arguments about your circumstances become meaningless because you should never have been in that situation to begin with.

Don't take this the wrong way either.  You are a totally respectable player.  I do have to correct you on this one point but by no means do I want it to seem like you are a problem player or anything like it.  I just want you to understand why you can't do things the way you did them in this particular case.  I still enjoy racing with you in the servers and look forward to racing with you again.

Print