Print 

Author Topic: Who will win the World Series???  (Read 9007 times)

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
Re: Who will win the World Series???
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »
Oh its on now WE WIN :)  :siderofl:

:evil:

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Looks like I'm going to the clincher!!!  w00t!!!  I'll take the camera, I have a good feeling.....  How about Blanton???  GJ!

Zet, here is a link with some info on the origin of the name "World Series".  To answer your question, there have been many Polish American baseball stars, like Greg Luzinski, known as "The Bull" ! lol  He owns a barbeque pit at the Philly stadium now http://www.thebullbbq.com/home/ , its pretty good and they sell kielbasa sandwiches called Bulldogs, and Polish Dill pickles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series

International impact, and explanation of the term "World" Series

The title of this championship may seem odd to some readers from countries where baseball is not a major sport (or even where it is), because the "World" Series is confined to the champions of two baseball leagues that currently operate only in the United States and Canada.
The explanation is that when the term "World's Championship Series" was first used in the 1880s, baseball at a highly-skilled level was almost exclusively confined to North America, especially the United States. Thus it was understood that the winner of the major league championship was the best baseball team in the world. The title of this event was soon shortened to "World's Series" and later to "World Series". "The Series", by itself, capitalized, is understood to mean "The World Series", in the appropriate context.
The United States, Canada and Mexico (Liga Mexicana de Beisbol, established 1925) continued to be the only professional baseball countries until some decades into the 20th century. The first Japanese professional baseball efforts began in 1920. The current Japanese leagues date from the late 1940s. Various Latin American leagues also formed around that time.
By the 1990s, baseball was played at a highly skilled level in many countries, resulting in a strong international flavor to the Series, as many of the best players from the Pacific Rim, Latin America, the Caribbean, and elsewhere now play on Major League rosters. The notable exception is Cuban nationals, due to the political situation between the USA and Cuba (despite that barrier, over the years a number of Cuba's finest ballplayers have defected to the United States to play in the American professional leagues). Players from the Japanese Leagues also have a more difficult time coming to the Major Leagues because they must first play 10 years in Japan before becoming free agents. Reaching the high-income Major Leagues tends to be the goal of many of the best players around the world.
Early in 2006, Major League Baseball conducted the inaugural World Baseball Classic, to establish a "true" world's championship in the way the term is normally used for other international sports. Teams of professional players from 16 nations participated, and Japan won the first World Baseball Classic championship. Olympic baseball was instituted as a medal sport in 1992, but in 2005 the International Olympic Committee voted to eliminate baseball, and it will be off the Olympic program in 2012.
The World Series itself retains a US-oriented atmosphere. The title of the event is often presented on television as merely a "brand name" in the same sense as the "Super Bowl", and thus the term "World Series Championship" is sometimes used. However, the origin of the term lives on, as with these words of Frank Thomas in the Chicago White Sox victory celebration in 2005: "We're world's champions, baby!" At the close of the 2006 Series, Commissioner Bud Selig pronounced the St. Louis Cardinals "champions of the world". Likewise, the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine for November 6, 2006, featured Series MVP David Eckstein and was subtitled "World Champions".

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:03:55 PM by BFM_panoze »

Offline Noodles

• Senior Poster
  • (:
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 01:48:32 PM »
I'm still hoping for the Devil Rays... but I think It's alll Phillies.

Offline Bob Marley

• Senior Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »
I want the Devils Rays to have a comeback so its 3-3.  Then I don't care who wins :)

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
My Church History teacher (Catholic school, gotta love it  :doh: ) is predicting Rays in 7...well I guess that's the only possible way the Rays CAN win now.

Go Rays!

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »
Its actually just the Rays now. They changed it from the Devil Rays a few years back.
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »

Looks like Mother Nature is winning at the moment..

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »
OK, Here are the photos of World Series Game 5 Part 1.  It was a very cold, very windy, very rainy night.  They should have cancelled the game but the weather forecasters got it wrong so they thought they could get the game in drizzle but it was raining very hard and quite unpleasant.

The Stadium was full, and rockin!!!

World Series logo, great to see at my home ballpark!

Cole Hamels warming up.

Ryan Howard

Some action, out at first!

Jason Werth batting

Shane Victorino on deck

Pat Burrell

Bases loaded

Here are some rules, ball girls instead of macros but a BFM server the rules are enforced quite a bit better than a Philly stadium!

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 08:20:41 AM »
Cole Hamels was pretty good, only allowed a couple of runs in a windy downpour.

Once it was really pouring many went in where the tv's were

Rain was going sideways

So overall it was not the best night for baseball lol.  I'm going back tonight for part two which is a 3 1/2 inning game, Phillies get 4 bats and the Rays 3 as the game was "suspended" in the bottom of the 6th.  There was grumbling from the Philly sports talk radio people about how they shoulda coulda woulda done this that or the other thing, but the weather was just bad and the game suspended.   

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2008, 07:02:27 PM »
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES WIN

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I predict a rematch in 2009!!!  Same outcome of course! lol

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2008, 03:10:33 AM »
Wow...this even made news in Australia.

^

I think it is because the pitcher of the Rays is Aussie. (Or so I heard??)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

BFM_Warlord

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Congrats to the Phillie's  :toot:

Print