Print 

Author Topic: No text  (Read 10395 times)

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
Re: No text
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 10:48:03 AM »
But since you have 75% free space left, I highly doubt you need to do this.  Usually only becomes a problem when you have less than 25%.

Semi true.

While defragmentation DOES free up disk space, it also fixes any "fragmented" files. A file becomes fragmented when the parts of it are all over the place on the drive (I think). Not only does this waste disk space, but it also downgrades drive performance.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »

Wow, um, we've traveled quite a bit off the topic here....

Start another thread about Disk Defragmenter if you want, but meanwhile, back to Volley's Halo text problem, k?

Volley:

It's starting to sound more and more like one of those "Halo Font-Changing Program" problems, but you never used one of those, right?

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 03:17:29 PM »
No I haven't. When i changed my text to red the last time, I did it manually and it worked fine for 2 years! I'm going to try that defrag thing, since this is starting to become hopeless. I think it's a sign from God saying I mustn't play anymore..

And Jane: the last thing I did was uninstall. There not even an icon in my add/remove programs on my control panel. My problem is now that I can't even reinstall b/c "icefields.map" always seems to stop the installation as I said in my previous post.

No longer is it the font I'm worried about, now I can't even get Halo to work.

~Former 1st Lieutenant - 2008

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »

1: Defragging won't help your problem AT ALL.  (In fact, BE SURE TO DO A DISK SCAN BEFORE doing a defrag, in case this has something to do with hard disk errors....

2: You might've done an uninstall, but I bet you missed parts. Do the following to completely uninstall Halo (your profiles will eb gone, too, BTW) and THEN installing it again:

1) Start -> Control Panel -> Add Programs and Remove Microsoft Halo ....

2) Open My Computer and navigate to where Halo WAS installed, and DELETE the "Halo" folder and its contents.

3) Go into My Documents -> My Games and DELETE the folder there named "Halo" (OR rename it to something else if you want to try to hang on to your possibly-corrupt Halo profile(s)....)

4) NOW install Halo and it's patches....

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 08:22:11 PM »
I had actually done all the things you mentioned there Mxy, but it still hadn't worked. What i've tried this time is also uninstalling Halo CE and all it's setup things. I've stored all the maps i downloaded from halomaps.org in a seperate file. We'll see if this works..

EDIT: Nope...it still doesn't work. It stayed on 90%, trying to copy icefields.map for 5 minutes until it gave up and i went through the whole process again. No more Halo for me...ever.  :verysorry:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:32:23 PM by Volley »

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »
Don't say that!

What about those CD image things? I don't understand them at all but is it an option?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »
I had actually done all the things you mentioned there Mxy, but it still hadn't worked. What i've tried this time is also uninstalling Halo CE and all it's setup things. I've stored all the maps i downloaded from halomaps.org in a seperate file. We'll see if this works..

EDIT: Nope...it still doesn't work. It stayed on 90%, trying to copy icefields.map for 5 minutes until it gave up and i went through the whole process again. No more Halo for me...ever.  :verysorry:

WHAT "stayed on 90%.."?  The INSTALL of Halo from your CD?

If so, then you probably just have a dirty CD or drive, or scratched CD....

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
I'm going to hate you if this has been my problem the whoel time.  ::) :siderofl:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 09:38:53 PM »
I'm going to hate you if this has been my problem the whoel time.  ::) :siderofl:

:doh:

Hate ME?!?!  :o

:winkgrin:

Anyway, try cleaning the CD with a soft LINT-FREE cloth (like a pillowcase) and a light squirt of Windex.

Wipe the CD FROM CENTER HOLE OUT TOWARDS THE EDGE (radially.) Do NOT wipe circularly!!!!!

Once dry give it a try! (Hey! That rhymes!)

If that doesn't work, then check that the CD fails in ANOTHER drive, and that other CDs WORK in your drive.... (To see if it's your drive, instead of the CD....)

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »
Mxy, see that's your problem!! With people like me, you forget to go to the basics! You start with all this complex, messing with XLKSJLKJASF files and defraging stuff. You forgot to say Volley, you dumbo, clean your CD!!!

Successful Installation 100%!
Hopefully this fixes my text and all.  ;D

EDIT: UH oh! I just tried to reinstall Halo CE. Same problem except with a file called msvcr711.dll . WTH!!! I just cleaned my CD! Twice, what is it this time?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:48:20 PM by Volley »

Offline Filla

• Senior Poster
    • A Racing video I made.
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 10:14:04 PM »
I have the same problem with my halo CE. I dont know how to fix it so I simply dont play it.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »

Wow, you're just FULL of 'em, aren't you, Volley!?!?!  ::)  ;D

Well you've stumped me once again: WHY do you need to install anything from your Halo CD in order to get Halo CE installed? (Or is your language assuming something again, like saying "same problem" when you're NOT installing from a CD - which is NOT the "same problem" at all?!?)

Interestingly I DO have Halo CE installed on my machine, and NOWHERE ON MY MACHINE can I find the file msvcr711.dll! (So obviously it's NOT needed for Halo CE!)

Um, a little further investigation reveals that this is a "normal" Windows-distributed file, formerly named msvcr70.dll or msvcr71.dll.... So you've likely mixed up some old software with some newer update and now have incompatible WINDOWS SYSTEM files installed somehow. (msvcr711,dll is the latest version, but youdon't have it installed and something ELSE installed is looking for that, newer version, you see....)

So this time, please post THE EXACT ERROR MESSAGE and a description of exactly what was running at the time the error message popped up, k?

We're going to have to find out who/what wants that newer version to see if we need to repair your Windows installation, or whatever....

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »
YAY!!! Halo seems to work, atleast the basics... I want to modify the text to #FFFF0000 and move it to the original spot I had, but i want to get the okay from you Mxy!

We shall deal with my CE next...

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 08:58:19 PM »
YAY!!! Halo seems to work, atleast the basics... I want to modify the text to #FFFF0000 and move it to the original spot I had, but i want to get the okay from you Mxy!

We shall deal with my CE next...

'Fine with me... so long as you make a copy of any file BEFORE you change it!  ::)  ;D

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2008, 04:23:03 PM »

1: Defragging won't help your problem AT ALL.  (In fact, BE SURE TO DO A DISK SCAN BEFORE doing a defrag, in case this has something to do with hard disk errors....

Thought it might help the HD out a bit, improve performance, etc.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Print