Print 

Author Topic: Harddrive too small  (Read 2983 times)

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
Harddrive too small
« on: December 23, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »
I don't know how many of you know this, but I play on a laptop (which I call something else but I'll spare you the profanity). Anyway this thing only has a harddrive capacity of 15 gb...which is TINY. Having Halo, CE, Vent, and iTunes on it, among other things, has it almost completely filled (roughly 300 mb left pending me deleting some of my halo skins to see if it does anything :doh:).

What I need is an external harddrive to store some of this stuff onto. Things like Halo, CE, iTunes, and other things that I really don't use until I get home would save a ton of space on here and make my life a lot easier.

I already asked around and my Web Design teacher mentioned sites such as newegg and stores like microcenter nearby, but I need an opinion on two things:

a) What kind of external harddrive would be good for me

b) Possibly some reliable sites to get some from

Any and all opinions are well accepted :winkgrin:

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
Re: Harddrive too small
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:45:54 PM »
Does the laptop have Firewire support?

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »

I have a Western Digital Passport (320GB).  I think it was $99.  It's USB powered.  I use it for backup so forth.   Took all of my music collection to load on my work computer, stuff like that.

I don't use it like you'd use it, so I can't say if it's fast enough or appropriate for you laptop, but I like it. 

Amazon link

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 07:10:42 AM »

Um, I know you didn't ask this, you SPECIFICALLY asked about external HDs, but...

why don't you just replace your laptop's internal HD with a newer, larger one?!?

It's like the EASIEST upgrade that you can do to a laptop!  (And the internal 2.5" notebook drives cost almost exactly the same as the external, 3.5"-based full-size ones....  E.g. A 160GB internal laptop drive is about $60....)

Then you can either have someone (ala the "Geek Squad") copy over all your old stuff to the new drive and install it, or do it yourself by buying an inexpensive adapter cable for the notebook drive....

I upgraded my (very old!) Sony Vaio from it's original 6GB HD to it's maximum-supported 40GB for $20 a few years ago, and it was a piece of cake!

::)

Notes: Check your manufacturer's specs and/or call their Support line to see the largest size drive they support! Some manufacturer's ( >cough< SONY! >cough< ) have INTERNAL HARDWARE LIMITATIONS on how large a drive they can handle!

Depending on the OS installed, you may have to deal with Windoze complaining that you've installed you OS on another machine, and require that you re-activate it with Micro$oft....  If you go the do-it-yourself route on this, PM me about what to do about preserving the Volume ID across disks....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:17:26 AM »
just go out and buy like a 5TB external hard drive, better yet go out and buy like a 20TB server just for you. 

lol jk.  go to best buy and say i need a fast external hard drive. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 08:13:55 AM »

Um, I know you didn't ask this, you SPECIFICALLY asked about external HDs, but...

why don't you just replace your laptop's internal HD with a newer, larger one?!?

Guess I forgot to mention that my laptop is owned by my school and I can't make any modifications to it until I buy it out at the end of senior year (currently a junior). And because my parents already told me that they're gonna get me a new laptop for when I go to college by the time any modifications are made my sisters will be using it...

Now to address the rest of you:

sæs: I'm not a techy, you're going to have to explain to me what Firewire is so I can answer your question

Kiwi: Yes I am looking for something that can be connected via USB, and I will look into the one you use, however, I don't need something that big, possibly only 80-100 gb will be plenty (I'm not trying to download these massive files, and my computer can't run most of the games that require that much space)

carl: That's kinda what I had in mind (the going to Best Buy part, not the 20TB server part :P)

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »

I have a Western Digital Passport (320GB).  I think it was $99.  It's USB powered.  I use it for backup so forth.   Took all of my music collection to load on my work computer, stuff like that.

I don't use it like you'd use it, so I can't say if it's fast enough or appropriate for you laptop, but I like it. 

Amazon link

I have the same thing only a 1TB one, and it works amazingly.
Some good suggestions from Best Buy are

160GB Simple Tech Harddrive

160Gb Maxtor External Harddrive

And some others are located HERE

Hope this helps

BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
Well I just got $125 in gift cards for Best Buy for Christmas so...Skedog your links are perfect, thank you :winkgrin:

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Print