Print 

Author Topic: noisy hdd = worried owner ((Fixed))  (Read 12821 times)

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
Re: noisy hdd = worried owner
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 01:12:10 AM »
no worries abot data protection just yet Mxy, I've got it installed as overflow storage for tv programs and other easily replaced stuff.

The software I used was actually a 15-day trial of Acronis easy migrate. the whole thing took about 2 hours, including initialising and formatting the new drive.

I was really, really impressed.

Fraggle
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »

So easy that it's kinda scary, isn't it?  :-\

But don't let that go to your head!  ;D

Now you probably see why I just image drives to do my full backups, yes?
(It helps that the main drive in all my machines is in a drawer-type, removable tray, too, tho!  ::) )
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
They say that pride comes before a fall....

I have a new problem ( as always)

My pc used to crash whilst playing Halo or sims2. the image on the screen would separate into staggered lines and I would have to restart manually....

Since the recent disk cloning operation, the system has had an alarming tendency to switch off completely.... alomost as if an invisible hand had unplugged the tower from the mains.

This is kinda iritating and I wanna make it stop. It improved momentarily after a scandsk was run, but it has done it a couple of times now this evening...

I have had a lot of help from you guys and I feel guilty asking for more, but wth.....

HELP?!?

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 01:03:34 PM »

OooooOOOO!

'Sounds like a hardware problem, and likely your video card (or audio "card" if you have one, which I doubt....)

3Qs:

1) When was the last time you cleaned INSIDE your computer?, and

2) What make/model video card do you have, and for how long?

3) Does this only happen after a long period of time having your machine on?  I.e. It does NOT happen for a fair time after you boot it up "cold"....

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
Mxy, I have been thinking a hardware problem would be the most likely explanation... I haven't checked the connections yet as I haven't had time, but it's possible I knocked something whilst putting in the new hdd. Also, I have been thinking that with the extra drive, wires and stuff inside the case, It's possible that the machine is simply overheating.
Anyway, to answer your questions...

1) I have given the interior a spring clean and a dab of paint whilst I was faffing about with new hdd's this past week. I also washed the motherboard with plenty of soap and polished the heatsink with brass polish for that extra shine. It certainly 'looks' like it's brand new.  :siderofl:

(not really, I just brushed away the dust and fluff...)

2) I have a Nvidia GEforce 7500 LE thingummy. Have had it for about 9 or 10 months now I think. My audio is run from the motherboard.

3) It's completely random. Happened 3 times in quick succession the other night. no sooner had I signed back onto vent, I was chucked off again. then I got about a day and a half out of it after doing the scandsk, then it happened about half hourly this evening.

Oooh, Fireworx... Happy new year everyone in the UK,  Everyone in the us, You will have to wait a few more hours but happy new year anyway.
You aussies will probably have already gone to bed and be sleeping it off so happy new year for when you wake up.

Fraggle

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »
so, I have had another involuntary shutdown. Then, the shutdown repeated several times just as I cannected to the interweb.

I remembered seeing some conflicts in my device manager whils browsing the other day. Now, In Windows 95 and 98, you could just delete a conflicting device, then restart and it would re-install automatically, and (the best bit) it would work.

I do not want to do this with Vista. it seems to want to over-complicate things and I don't want to incur it's wrath.

I have a screenie below.

Help me Dr.

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 06:42:27 PM »
IRQ problems?

Never heard of them shutting your machine down, though.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »

Oh (yeah?),  you're running Vista....  ::)

You aren't trying to run a 64-bit version of Vista, are you???

...Because the HUNDREDS of people reporting SCADS of problems with the Vista 64-bit versions ARE having all kinds of network-related problems with it (6TO4 and it's family of other loaded drivers....)

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2009, 06:01:12 AM »
Fortunately, I am not one of those people who grab the latest'fad' thing as soon as it hits the shelves. I am running 32bit (thank you divinity)

But yeah, It's vista.  ::)

Anyway, I am thinking of setting a system restore point and then trying to delete these conflicting drivers in the device manager... see if that does anything.
I have run Windows defender and come up with a trojan that installs malware, so I'm going to get a few different anti-spyware programs and run a few scans on each to see if anything else is detected.
Mxy, I saw in another post that you spoke about a low level rootkit scan? would it be worth a simple rootkit scan?

Also, I will run a full AVG virus scan overnight. (takes a few hours  ;D)

Any other suggestions will be greatfully recieved.

I am moving my desk to the other side of the room this weekend, so I will also take the opportunity to check all the internal cables and connections.

IRQ looks interesting but I don't know if it's really relevant as I have no error reports. the thing just shuts off instantly.  :bang:

I feel we're getting somewhere though, I have had a few hours of uninterrupted run-time today......

grrr
Fraggle

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 01:01:09 PM »
~*Update*~

I deleted the conflicting system devices and logged on to post that there seemed to be no problems.........................#but it died again so I am posting this from work.

Next step is more anti-virus/spyware
 :'(

~Edit.. It had been a loose cable inside. I found this out a few days after posting this but forgot to tell ya'll about it.

Thanks for all your help. You are all awesome!!  :yesyes:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:22:23 AM by BFM_Fraggle »

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ

Print