Print 

Author Topic: my servers won't work for other people  (Read 11816 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: my servers won't work for other people
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »

1) He had used his INTERNAL, DHCP-device-assigned IP address (usu. recognized as being in the 192.168... range) instead of his ROUTER DEVICE'S WAN IP ADDRESS...

Presumably that explains why, when blizard told me the IP address and I tried that it didn't work, and when I clicked on the gamespy link to the server it gave a different number entirely?

Yup!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 03:01:01 AM »
Presumably that explains why, when blizard told me the IP address and I tried that it didn't work, and when I clicked on the gamespy link to the server it gave a different number entirely?
Yep.

(And DOH at not thinking about this before.  Every single one one of my friends who play Halo, and have hosted/tried to host a game, have given me their LAN-IP first.)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
Yep.

(And DOH at not thinking about this before.  Every single one one of my friends who play Halo, and have hosted/tried to host a game, have given me their LAN-IP first.)

FYI: I've just added text to the primary post in my "How to: Set up a Halo server" thread about how to determine your server's Internet (WAN) IP address.... (See "OPTIONAL" section just before "CONGRATULATIONS" at end.)

Note that if the setup and port forwarding was all done correctly the server will show up and be accessible via the Halo GameSpy Lobby....

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 06:40:52 AM »
sorry i need your help again, lemming tried to join earlier and it didnt work  :'(

i have changed any settings since you fixed it

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 06:51:41 AM »
Are you running the server on a regular Halo port?

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 12:30:28 PM »
you mean like 2302 and 2303? yes i am

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »
sorry i need your help again, lemming tried to join earlier and it didnt work  :'(

i have changed any settings since you fixed it

Troubleshoot the problem first:

- Can others join?
- Did you try it several times?
- Did your WAN IP address change?

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 01:11:26 AM »
i dont know if anyone else can join. I only know that lemming cant join, havent tried it with anyone else yet.

tried it 5 times at least

no idea if the WAN IP changed.. how can i find out?

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 03:31:33 AM »
Re the WAN IP changing:

You can tell (relatively easily) in two ways:

1. Once you've started a Halo server, bring up the scoreboard and check the server IP Halo lists. (This is your WAN IP. If it's not the one currently set up, then it's changed -- as I'm sure you know :) )
2. Open the start menu > click "Run" > type "cmd" (without the "") and press enter > type "ipconfig" (into the black w/ white text box you get after pressing enter before) and press enter. The IP listed after "IP Address" is your current WAN IP. (Mine's 192.168.1.2, for example)

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 10:10:38 AM »
ok i did that thing saes and it says the IP is 192.0.3, before it was a 2.

does this matter?

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »
Re the WAN IP changing:

You can tell (relatively easily) in two ways:

1. Once you've started a Halo server, bring up the scoreboard and check the server IP Halo lists. (This is your WAN IP. If it's not the one currently set up, then it's changed -- as I'm sure you know :) )
2. Open the start menu > click "Run" > type "cmd" (without the "") and press enter > type "ipconfig" (into the black w/ white text box you get after pressing enter before) and press enter. The IP listed after "IP Address" is your current WAN IP. (Mine's 192.168.1.2, for example)

No, I'm afraid that you're wrong: The latter method given will NOT give a WAN IP behind a router/firewall device. (90% of users these days....)

In fact, saes: that IS NOT YOUR WAN IP ADDRESS either! (The entire 192.168.x.x range are ILLEGAL Internet addresses and by rule are NOT allowed to be accessed to/from the Internet directly!)

Blizard: you need to do as I walked you through before: You need to log in to your router device and find that page with "WAN Status" (or whatever it was called) that has info like "Gateway," "DNS Server," and "WAN" IP addresses on it. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll try to find your device's manual again....  >sigh<

But if you can get SOMEONE ELSE to join your server THEY can tell you it's IP address once they're in-game, which might be a LOT easier....

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:31 PM »
ok right.. i looked on WAN setup and i found the IP not sure if it changed :interesting:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:05:14 AM by bfm_Blizard »

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »
What I was talking about is the LAN IP address, which I've always found important when port forwarding (the routers I've used require a rule to specify a specific LAN IP). If this has changed, then those rules won't work, and you'll be back to square one if that was the original issue.

Why did I give those instructions? I always think of the W in WAN as wired/wireless rather than wide.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 08:38:01 PM »

Well, having helped him out I happen to know that we made his LAN address static instead of the normal dynamic.  (Which I made mention about in an earlier post in this thread....)

FYI: The correct abbreviation for "wireless" is WLAN, for "Wireless Local Are Network."  (And yes, there ARE WWANs! We have several CITY-WIDE wireless networks here in CAH-LEE-FOR-NEE-AHH now!  :dance: )

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 11:17:06 AM »
k i found the old IP that i wrote down when we fixed it last time and the IP has changed since then  :liljawdrop:

i hate this computer...  :AOL:

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Print