Print 

Author Topic: Questions about waiting to attack  (Read 975 times)

Offline Defender

• Junior Poster
Questions about waiting to attack
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »
I've had these happen to me many times, so I'm wondering how legal they are.

Scenario 1: Two people, each on opposite teams, and one hog.  One waits until the other gets in the hog to start attacking, kills them, and takes the hog for himself.  Is it legal?

Scenario 2: Start of a new game, people from different teams spawn mixed together at, let's say, Infinity, there's only one rocket hog and one or more chaingun hogs.  Two reds run for the rockethog, but the lone blue player that spawned with them doesn't attack because there are other free hogs.  One red gets into the driver's seat, but the blue still doesn't attack because they're not a threat but they're obviously going to be.  The split second the other red starts to get into the gunner's seat, the blue attacks and kills them, and takes the hog.  Is it legal?

Scenario 3 (similar to 1 and 2): Middle of a game, a red spawns near where two blues are going to the only hog around.  The red starts moving to the hog, too, and could start attacking immediately, but he waits because it would draw their attention, and 2v1's are bad when you're the 1.  Just as the blues start to get in, the red attacks and kills them, and takes the hog for himself.  Is it legal?

Scenario 4: (similar to 1): Two people spawn, each on opposite teams, and only one hog is available.  Both start to run for the hog, red starts shooting at blue, blue (not firing) turns around and runs away, giving up on the hog.  After blue has already started running away, red keeps shooting and kills him.  Is it legal?

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
Questions about waiting to attack
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:39:08 PM »
Scenario 1: Technically they can begin fighting for the single hog, even before you enter it. There is only one hog and the only way to get away with it safely is really to eliminate the enemies.

Scenario 2: At map start during scrims this comes up a lot. Basically you don't fire and nade at enemy hogs when there are others around, unless they are loaded as you described. It is perfectly legal to nade them as soon as the gunner gets in. The walker however that is by himself should not wait or avoid getting in a hog to nade the enemies. Sometimes though the walker will spawn behind the enemies and won't be able to get near a hog before the two enemies are loaded up. In that case he really needs to nade to try and defend himself as soon as they are loaded. But in general, you should not wait, pass hogs or avoid getting into a hog in order to nade enemies hooking up in a hog.

Scenario 3: Seems like a good tactical move by the lone walker from what you describe. Thats where the two loading up need to be looking at their radars. Even the two guys getting ready to load up can attack the walker if they know he is there. After all, there is only one hog and both are going to want to use it. The situation you describe here is simply a choice in when to start the battle.

Scenario 4: Is it legal? Yes. Technically there is one hog and you are on opposing teams. Is it necessarily the right thing to do? Well there isn't really a need to attack the person who is clearly content with letting you take the hog. Often when a player avoids firing on me in a public server when it was legal for them to do so in self-defense I won't fire at them at all as a sort of acknowledgement of the way they are racing. Its great to avoid any unecessary slayer where possible.

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline Defender

• Junior Poster
Re: Questions about waiting to attack
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:32:41 PM »
Alright, thanks for the clear-up.

Print