Print 

Author Topic: Static issue using headset  (Read 1219 times)

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
Static issue using headset
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
Static comes through on my mic and I can't figure out why. Does it on all USB ports on the computer and with multiple headsets (all the same type). Headset I use is a Plantronics .510 Audio. Problem started around a week ago and I can't remember doing anything out of the ordinary with it. I also unistalled the Headset drivers on every port and then reinstalled them on just one. Issue remains. For some reason occasionally it stops doing it and then starts again.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 4GB RAM
Hard Drive: 500 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Monitor: Viewsonic 2233WM
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones: Plantronics Headset
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
Motherboard:  EVGA 780i SLI
Computer Case:  Centurion V (Black)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:28:38 PM by BFM_Exodus »

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Static issue using headset
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:28 PM »

Well, if it does it with various headsets/ports it's GOT to be an issue inside the box....

Re-installing the drivers does NOT rule that out as the problem, tho, and it definitely sounds (sry!  :embarrassing: ) like a software problem.

Before going that route, try this first: Shut down your computer and then POWER IT OFF at the PSU power switch (or unplug it) for a good minute. Then turn power back on, boot it up, and try the headset WITH MUSIC OR SOMETHING on your machine to generate audio. DO NOT START UP/TRY IT WITH VENTRILO.

See if it works after that cold boot and before any "oddball software" gets started up, and that will eliminate the fringe problems fro the equation.

(I should've thought to ask this from the start: Do you have speakers too? Does this happen only with the headset/USB audio, or with phono jack-connected speakers, too?)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »
I have had this static problem with some previous headsets. I went to the store and asked the employees for help.

Static with headsets usually occurs when:

1) The mic settings are amplified too much. For example, your outbound is 5+ on Vent.
2) The input for the mic is wearing down. Not much you can do here except purchase a new mic.

The latter is the most probably cause. Because your mic is fairly old, it is wearing down.

I am pretty sure this is not a drivers or software problem. It is the headset itself.

Hope this helps!

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:16:01 PM »
Static with headsets usually occurs when:

1) The mic settings are amplified too much. For example, your outbound is 5+ on Vent.
2) The input for the mic is wearing down. Not much you can do here except purchase a new mic.

The latter is the most probably cause. Because your mic is fairly old, it is wearing down.

I am pretty sure this is not a drivers or software problem. It is the headset itself.

Hope this helps!

I can rule those out due to multiple headsets and the settings I use. Its turned down below 0 to -3 most of the time.

Working with Mxy on vent now. :)

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Print