Print 

Author Topic: dual motherboard?  (Read 988 times)

Offline ati.radeon

• Newbie Poster
dual motherboard?
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:10:23 AM »
i need to connect two motherboards. can anyone help?
i mean to make a cluster of two systems

all help is appreciated,
thanks,
ati-radeon

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
Re: dual motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:43:30 AM »
Beyond my knowledge. From a standard motherboard setup is it impossible. You can get motherboard with dual or even quad CPU sockets, but sticking 2 motherboards together, it doesnt work that way.

Why do you need to stick 2 motherboards together?

Offline Nassor

• Junior Poster
  • Two steps forward, one step back
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
you have to network them together first one being a slave thats not used and the other being a master that you operate off, then you have to use special programs, I would advise reading up on the subject, it isn't an easy task, check out 'Beowulf clusters', and it only really works well with Linux, it's even more difficult with windows, oh and you will need to know how to script within a os.

May I ask why you are doing this, because it is only advantagous if you do a lot of rendering or stuff that would work better with two minds focusing on different tasks, it won't work at all with such things as gaming really. Btw it also doesn't work well with two or more pc's, better to have 4+ really...
~Nassor~

~Got it covered~

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:30:18 AM »
Taipans got it, i see no advantage over a dual physical socket motherboard to what you would be attempting to do  :interesting:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »

Yeah, Taipan asks the right question, almost.

I'd ask you: 'What do you expect to gain from "putting two motherboards together?" '

(My guess is that you really want some form of "grid computing*," which is done by linking separate computer together vie Ethernet....)

* Like Pixar's Render Farm.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:45:43 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print