Print 

Author Topic: REALLY big hard drive.  (Read 4673 times)

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Re: REALLY big hard drive.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 11:37:27 PM »
Trust me, it's not hard to fill up 2TB ;)

Ask Taipan...he has well over 3 filled LOL

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 12:40:47 AM »

Um, .... Did everyone miss the fact that he only needs, like an 80GB HDD to replace his old <80GB one?  ::)

Happy times filling up all those huge drives you guys keep talkin' 'bout tho!  :LOL:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 02:12:47 AM »
Ya, i have trouble filling up more than 40GB of my 320GB...

1 TB is just. mindbogglingly big.

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 03:39:46 PM »
O_O

I'm using around 34GB leaving my steam games + 2 mods (~1GB) installed. Add ~5GB for Windows and ~5GB for Halo + Halo CE + Maps...

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »

1 TB is just. mindbogglingly big.

Obviously NOT a dedicated gamer!

SHUN!!!

And last year my schoolwork took up over 10GB... :o

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 02:41:47 AM »
And last year my schoolwork took up over 10GB... :o
Wow...

Were you doing some kind of graphic design course?

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 04:41:58 AM »
No. I just had so much crap. There was probably 1Gb of powerpoint presentations, over 6GB of movie clips/movies and music etc. for English...it just all added up.

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »

Um, .... Did everyone miss the fact that he only needs, like an 80GB HDD to replace his old <80GB one?  ::)

Happy times filling up all those huge drives you guys keep talkin' 'bout tho!  :LOL:

I would have loved to have that 1.5 TB one, but it's SATA and I need PATA.  :'(

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Offline Soz 0wned U

• Senior Poster
  • ^ Back When It neared 1000.
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 12:43:08 AM »
My mates got a 15 Tig USB. It's funny because its a huge FAT thing. and it's like the size of his pencil case.

-22/4/09-

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 10:25:08 AM »
My mates got a 15 Tig USB. It's funny because its a huge FAT thing. and it's like the size of his pencil case.

No, he didn't....  ::)

I think you mean 15 GB (GigaByte) USB "portable drive."

P.S. These are finally getting to the <$1/GB now for the 32GB and smaller versions....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 07:05:26 AM »
Three things I have to reply to here.

1)  I think everyone aside from Mxy continues to miss the point that he needs to replace a low-grade small sized HDD with another low-grade small sized HDD.  Also he is USING WINDOWS 98!  At least per his comment on Post #6.  Buying externals won't help him in the least bit except to backup his files to transfer to a new computer, as the externals will run only as fast as his aged computer can process the connection (USB 1.0 or 1.1 for him), and again you'll run into the HDD readable size limitation.

I know they don't, it's an old 98 computer. :doh:

2)  Also I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet that a Win98 ooooold computer has difficulty addressing larger hard disk drives, usually larger than 20-40GBs.  Unless he upgrades his OS (which would require the rest of the PC basically to be upgraded), he won't be able to view more than that limit due to old school mobos/cpu/OS combinations not that high speed back then.  The most that I was able to upgrade a Compaq with Win98 was to a 40GB, and it even had issues addressing over the base 20GBs.  It is not impossible though if you upgrade or modify other components in the case.  Yet I don't think that is what Racr wants to do here. 

3)  I have over 2TB in multiple HDDs that I'll need to transfer to the new desktop that I built.  I think all but 300GB are full, mostly with movie rips, huge games, virtual drive backups, and hundreds of CDs worth of lossless or MP3 Pro music.  So it isn't impossible per se to fill up such drives.  I also do lots of photography and videography, so that adds up.  As to the USB flash drives and Mxy's price comparisons...on NewEgg.com I've purchased three 32GB flash drives for on average of $54-$69 each and many times they've had $15-$20 mail-in rebates to knock the prices even lower (available if you receive their email newsletter).  I bought one that was nearly indestructible for $64.   Even more shocking after just checking, they now have eSATA flash drives (not USB!!).  :neckbeard:

-> List of NewEgg 32GB USB Flash Drives + Prices.

-> Corsair Survivor 32GB aircraft-graded aluminum encasing.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:14:05 AM by BFM_Chaindog »
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »
I think all but 300GB are full, mostly with movie rips, huge games, virtual drive backups, and hundreds of CDs worth of lossless or MP3 Pro music. 

I'm tellin the cops!!!! :cop:  :cop: :cop: :cop: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »
LoLz!   Considering I own most of those movies they are perfectly legal rips for backup consumption whilst I am deployed overseas.  Now the bootleg market over here in the Middle East is still illegal but the salesmen from India love to use their bittorrent for sales on the side (their "little black book").  The Arabs know that it is a problem, yet shop quietly there anyway for some cheaper goods.  Almost all DVDs locally sold are three times the cost in the States.  Can't say what the quality is, since when I went on vacation to Texas I went to the local pawn shop and bought over 450 good condition used DVDs for less than $2 each.  Still haven't ripped them to my PC with AnyDVD HD yet....   :cop:
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »
Alright, alright, just checkin'. How long have you been/are you gonna be stationed over there?

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
Three things I have to reply to here.

1)  I think everyone aside from Mxy continues to miss the point that he needs to replace a low-grade small sized HDD with another low-grade small sized HDD.  Also he is USING WINDOWS 98!  At least per his comment on Post #6.  Buying externals won't help him in the least bit except to backup his files to transfer to a new computer, as the externals will run only as fast as his aged computer can process the connection (USB 1.0 or 1.1 for him), and again you'll run into the HDD readable size limitation.

I know they don't, it's an old 98 computer. :doh:

I knew and was just laughing ::)

@ Racr - He's been there too long!

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

Print