Print 

Author Topic: what is faster  (Read 953 times)

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
what is faster
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
hey
looking at laptops and desktops from falcon northwest (only THE sickest computers in the entire universe) i noticed that they offer SSD's and HDD's.  i have come to a problem, what is faster two 10000 rpm HDD's or two intel X25 M (whatever that means) SSD's. or are two 7200 rpm HDD's faster than the SSD's?  i have no clue so thanks for the help. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline BFM_RedFox

• BFM Admin
Re: what is faster
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
HDD is a normal hard drive with the disks and actuator arm. 10,000 rpm is pretty fast for it. Normally they got 7,200 rpms.

SSD is a hard drive that uses solid-state memory like USB sticks. This technique is faster than normal HDDs but idk if it is faster than 10,000 rpm HDDs.

Btw. SSDs can burst more often than HDDs.

EDIT: Compare the data rate the HDD can read/write and the SSD can. The faster the better.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:32:04 PM by bfm_RedFox »

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
A SSD has an almost instant seek time. If you've got the money, the SSD should be the fastest.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:35:44 PM »
well as soon as i can get a job, money wont be a problem, (must hide the money from my girlfriend) because my computer will be my uppermost priority.  but thanks for your help. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Print