Print 

Author Topic: EARTH HOUR  (Read 944 times)

Offline BFM_Rickp9

• BFM Admin
  • I Am Canadian EH!
EARTH HOUR
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:52:51 AM »
Earth Hour,
Turning off the lights in support of Action on Climate Change.

Here is the web site http://www.earthhour.org/home/

25 ways to mark Earth Hour
  Earth Hour is a global lights-out phe­nomenon, led by WWF (World Wildlife Fund) that will bring together millions of people from around the world to show support for action on climate change. Last year, almost half the Cana­dian population participated from coast to coast.
  What will you and your family do to mark this year’s Earth Hour, March 28, from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m.?
  It’s as sim­ple as flicking off a switch – literally. You can partici­pate by your­self or with family, friends and just a few candles. Or check out what’s hap­pening in your own community. There are many cities, community groups, restaurants and bars that participate or host Earth Hour events. Participants can register at www.EarthHourCanada.org to receive info and up-dates.
  Here are 25 ideas to help you mark Earth Hour: 1. Attend local Earth Hour events– or organize one. Add your event, or get details on events near you at EarthHourCa­nada.
  org.
 2. Go outside and look at the stars.
  3. Find a great viewing spot to see your town or city go dark at 8:30 p.m.
  4. Take pic­tures and post them to the Earth Hour Facebook page.
  5. Go for a lantern walk through a park.
  6. Patronize local restaurants and businesses taking part in Earth Hour.
  7. Gather your family or friends for a candle-lit dinner.
  8. Meet your neighbours at a street or block party.
  9. Have an acous­tic music jam.
  10. Talk to your children about how much electricity your family uses. Brainstorm ways to reduce it.
  11. Tell ghost stories.
  12. Listen to the birds, bats or other wildlife
 13. Play flash­light tag.
  14. Turn your thermostat down by one degree. And leave it there.
 15. Play Pic­tionary with glow­in- the-dark mark­ers.
  16. Change all your light bulbs to energy-efficient versions.
 17. Have a night game of shinny with
 a glow-in-the-dark puck or ball (wear reflective vests).
  18. Take a walk in the moon­light.
  19. Have a candlelit bath.
 20. Put a glow stick on your dog’s collar or leash and go for a walk.
  21. Toast marshmallows over a
 tea light candle.
  22. Get out your Ouija board.
  23. Have a wine or scotch tasting in the dark.
  24. Get out the sleeping bags and camp out…on the living room floor 25. Make a list of ways you could reduce your energy consumption every hour of every day.

Offline Wic

• Posts Too Much
Re: EARTH HOUR
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 04:57:31 AM »
I registered on the website awhile back for this :)  Good ideas Rickp9!

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:58:04 AM »
Last year we had a LAN party on during Earth Hour - we packed everyone's laptops up and turned off all the lights and sat in darkness for the hour :)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
Last year we had a LAN party on during Earth Hour - we packed everyone's laptops up and turned off all the lights and sat in darkness for the hour :)

I LIKE IT!!   :LOL:

Here in the Mxy household (the one on planet Earth, that is...) we're hard-pressed to find anything that we can do to support this event!

We're already conserving so much as it is (I'm constantly hearing "Why is it always so dark in here?!?" around my house at night...  ::) ) I think I'd have to turn a light on, just to turn it OFF for this event!  ::)

...And the subdivision's street lights don't go off anyhow, so it doesn't get any darker outside during Earth Hour than it ever does.

But they DO shut off a LOT of the lights in San Francisco and the greater Bay Area around here for it, tho! (Which is cool!  Hmmm. Maybe I'll take the family up to one of the SFBA mountaintops Saturday night and see what's NOT lit up??)

*edit* !!!

HEY!  The link above says that Earth Hour is Saturday @ 8:30PM (local time everywhere, as it "travels with the TZ...") BUT in a TeeVee ad here just a minute ago it said SUNDAY at 8:30PM local time?!?!

What gives??!!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:30:45 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print