Print 

Author Topic: music bleeding thru to vent???  (Read 1228 times)

Offline HastaLaVista

• Senior Poster
music bleeding thru to vent???
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:08:22 PM »
OK Geniuses, help me out!

How is this possible?

I'm on vent, listening to Pandora internet radio at the same time. Using headphones. Someone said the could faintly hear my music when I used my PTT hotkey to talk...

The music is on the lowest volume setting possible on the Pandora web page so that it doesn't over power the voices on Vent for me, it is very, very quiet. So it can't be the mic picking up the sound from the headphone speakers.  (At least I can't imagine...)

I don't want to subject anyone to my taste in music, or any possible inappropriate lyrics especially!

So what do you think? Some kind of zany sound-chip hijinks? Gremlins? Is my jaw bone carrying the sound waves down to my mic? I'm baffled!!!

-Loq

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
Re: music bleeding thru to vent???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:45:23 PM »
Is your Line in volume muted?

Offline HastaLaVista

• Senior Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »
Is your Line in volume muted?

No option to mute it (that I can find at least) on this crazy newfangled Vista PC... So i just disabled the line in completely from control panel. Will see if that fixes, thanks Ben!

-Loq

Offline Soul

• Senior Poster
  • Be back in 5 minutes, If I'm not, read this again.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:13:45 PM »
Well, If the mic and headphones are one, usually when wires rub against something they pick it up, like, My coat zipper was rubbing across my head phone wire and I herd it as if it was putting out that sound from my MP3 player. So just maybe the electric waves were being picked up from the mic input.

Offline HastaLaVista

• Senior Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
Didn't work.  :mike:

Gonna turn off music until I can get it sorted out.

-Loq

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:10:08 PM »

Make sure that you're NOT using your "mixer" as your audio source....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
You said Vista, so I don't know how you'd do it, but try turning your Stereo Mix volume all the way DOWN.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 04:39:52 AM »
You said Vista, so I don't know how you'd do it, but try turning your Stereo Mix volume all the way DOWN.
Last time I checked, that'd just turn off all sound...

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »
Last time I checked, that'd just turn off all sound...

You have Stereo Mix confused with standard volume.

Stereo Mix is a recording option that allows people to loop their output (what they HEAR, from speakers/headphones/etc) to their input (the thing that usually picks up the mic). The volume for Stereo Mix controls how loudly the INPUT takes in the OUTPUT.

I'll put it another way for added clarity. Let's say you have Windows Media Player (or iTunes, or whatever you use, hereafter called "your music") playing, and your system volume is full blast. Well, you want to turn your music way down for a minute, but you want everything else to be full blast. Your music has a volume control right on there.

Same sort of thing. Stereo Mix has volume for how loud it plays to other people (i.e. not you)
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Print