Print 

Author Topic: D Drive Cleaning  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Slow Bullet

• Junior Poster
D Drive Cleaning
« on: April 17, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
ok my D drive is almost full i only have 900 mb left and wanted to know if there was a way i could clean it out. i just tried yesterday a complete system restore but it did nothing to my D drive just the C. So i've tried to click on the drive but it won't let me look whats in it i just get a message that says:

"COMPAQ

Recovery Partion
Warning

This area of your hard drive (or partion) contains files used for your pc recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partion could prevent any recovery later."

So is there a way i can acsess this drive, because i know thats where alot of my old deviced are stored. like we went through 6 printers and i bet there still on there but i can't get in and delete those files. so any help?

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
Re: D Drive Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »
Cd drives (at least mine) have memory that changes depending on the disk inside it.

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Offline Slow Bullet

• Junior Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »
no my D drive is like where vista is stored and my RAM and a couple other things when i first got the comp it had like 5 gigs since it had vista on it but aafter the 2 years ive haad it its goten lower.

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »
Talk to Mxy.

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »
system restore doesnt clean your drive, it only restores it to whatever save point u make

Offline Slow Bullet

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »
^ no i did the FULL system restore which was suposed to restore my pc back to its original state. which it did but the D drive was still the same.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:00:22 AM »

Well MOST computer companies create an additional (sometimes "hidden") partition/volume on your hard disk with your ONE AND ONLY COPY OF THEIR "SYSTEM RESTORE" (aka "Recovery") SOFTWARE. If you TOUCH this partition/volume your ability to RELOAD the system to its original, out-of-the-box state WILL BE GONE FOREVER.

It is NOT space that they intend for you to use, and in fact, NOTHING ELSE should be put into that partition/volume! (So, um, how do you have "only 900 mb left" on it, since it doesn't change??  ... Unless you meant that you've only got 900mb left on THE REST of the disk, and you want to use the recovery partition now, too??)

Finally, if you muck with the System Recovery stuff, and want to use it later to essentially "reinstall you system to factory condition," then the ONLY way for you to do that is to buy a copy of it from the computer manufacturer, and it will cost you AT LEAST THE PRICE OF A COMPARABLE WINDOWS LICENSE, usually MORE. (Like $200-$400!!!  :o )

To summarize: Do NOT muck with your "D" "drive" (partition/volume) UNLESS YOU CREATED IT.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Slow Bullet

• Junior Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
but isn't my ram in my D drive and isn't that wat gives me a good conection?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »
but isn't my ram in my D drive and isn't that wat gives me a good conection?

No and no.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Doppelgänger

• Newbie Poster
  • STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD, NO MERCY
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
     Your RAM (Random Access Memory) are separate hardware from the hard drive.  Think of RAM as a pick up truck  and your hard drive as the warehouse.  You fill and empty your truck as often as needed.  Yet your warehouse never changes.  Well, not never, it fills and empty's too, just not as often as your truck.  We will use your warehouse from time to time, depending on the GAME or house you use. AKA Virtual Memory.  Virtual memory does use a portion of your hard drive; sometimes. It will use it when your RAM can't handle the game or house requests.  Yet, it doesn't normally keep or store any data there, it is only temporary.

If what I saw from your beginning post, your D: drive the the partition created by the manufacture.  System restore and Windows installation files etc....blah...blah...blah.  If that is so, leave it alone and don't worry about. There is a chance your Virtual Memory is set to use the D: partition, but unlikely.  Unless someone other than the manufacture has changed it.  I wouldn't recommend using that partition for anything other than keeping your re-installation files/software. AKA Windows.

You should keep an eye on your C: drive extra space and such.  Always use the uninstall programs with the software or through windows.  Don't ever just delete something because you think it should go.  

Feel free to ask any additional questions you may have on computers.

Glaçïєr
I do not need to drive or gun, you can do either if you want; just ask…I just want to race.   

RULES I LIVE BY:   >>In addition to NORMAL race rules.<< 
  I do not melee/slayer anytime during a race. 
  I will always pick up teammates!  If bad guys are coming...we'll try to make it.  I will give you one sec to get in...after that, I'm gone.  <B> SHORT BURSTS OF BULLETS TO SIGNAL FOR A RIDE!!</B>
  I will never jump out of a race on you; pls do the same for me. 
  Pls, do not get jump out CHOG/gunning, to get into other team RHOG.  All while I am driving, leaving me alone in the CHOG.  NOT COOL
  If you are walking, I won't shoot unless you do first, I won't chase to kill you.
TEAM, TEAM, TEAM PLAY!!  I do believe in fair TEAM play. 

Thanks

"Who's your Doppelgänger?"

MAP TIMES:
Blood Gulch         69.73      http://i54.tinypic.com/33bp9g3.jpg
Danger Canyon    86.37       http://i54.tinypic.com/2nlzep4.jpg
Death Island        56.47      http://i55.tinypic.com/nd7oux.jpg
Gephyrophobia     57.73      http://i53.tinypic.com/20h4xl0.jpg
Ice Fields          
Infinity                90.50
Sidewinder           100.93
Timberland           47.77

Print