Print 

Author Topic: Map problem  (Read 1065 times)

Offline PR_o__O

• Newbie Poster
Map problem
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
I tried to mod some maps and for a while everything was great but then maybe 2 weeks later i go onto a server and it exits the game and gives me an exception error and then it doesnt respond. Now luckly i only modded 2 maps (Blood Gulch and Sidewinder) so now i need to know if i can recover the maps or ,if they r pemantly damaged, if there are some downloads of these maps that will allow me to play on them.
Registered onto Forums: January 9, 2009
1st time up for Recruitment: January 15, 2009
Denied from Recruitment: February 1, 2009
2nd time up for Recruitment: March 26, 2009
Offered Ventrillo: May 2, 2009
Recruited (bfm) : Pending

Thanks for the sig Arya

(\¤-¤/) (\__/) These are bunnies.
(='.'=) (='.'=) Copy and paste Bunnies into your
(")_(") (")_(") signature to help them gain world domination.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Re: Map problem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:26:50 AM »
Have you tried since to play on these maps? Does the same error still come up?

You should be able to get the original map files off of someone on Xfire if you ask nicely ;).

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:45:39 AM »
Do you still have your Halo disc handy (and usable)?

If yes, on there is a bunch of .cab files. Double click them and usually they open like a folder. Fish around in those files until you find the maps you modded.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:01:26 AM »
- Put in Halo CD (If you have it).

- Explore CD.

- Go into into the folder on Halo CD called "FilesCab".

- For Sidewinder, open up archived folder, "Cab6". Extract sidewinder.map into MAPS folder where Halo is installed.

- For Bloodgulch, open up archived folder, "Cab2". Extract bloodgulch.map into MAPS folder where Halo is installed.

- Also, do the very same for "Cab4". Extract bitmaps.map into MAPS folder.

(Had to do this umpteen times years ago lol)

- Backup (make a copy of) your MAPS folder and put it elsewhere on your hard drive BEFORE messing around with mods/modding again. ::)

Offline Soul

• Senior Poster
  • Be back in 5 minutes, If I'm not, read this again.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:55:57 AM »
Well, If you have your maps in a backup folder (Always do that before modding) just copy them all and paste them into the halo maps directory. I had the same problem when downloading. If not do what they said but replace all the maps or you may just get the error a lot.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »

FYI: One of the big improvements that Bungie made in CE - the version that THEY WANTED to ship as Halo PC, BTW!  ::) - was the thing that causes us all headaches whenever we start up CE: It scans EVERY .map file in your "maps" folder at startup, and builds up a unique value that MUST match the server's for that map.  Else it boots you out.

That way people can't map-cheat, you see!  (Okay, so it's HARDER to map-cheat, not impossible!)

So if you have a modded version of any map that isn't IDENTICAL to the server's version of the map... >kicked by the server!<

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:01:30 PM »
(Haven't read the above posts, so hopefully this isn't repeating)

Well, I mod Halo maps ALL THE TIME!  I have a folder in my documents called "Halo Original Maps"  which contain all the default map files I copied over from the "Halo>MAPS" folder.  That way I can replace them and can't screw anything up if something happens.  (Just a suggestion for the future if you like modding maps)  Now on to YOUR problem.  Well, the only things I could think of would be getting the map from someone over Xfire, and reinstalling your game.  They both work fine and reinstalling won't make you put the key in again so it will only take a minute.  So, do whatever you want.  But don't try copying bloodgultch.map and sidewinder.map from your Halo CE maps folder.  Even though there is no difference in the maps themselves, the map files are different and Halo will think it is corrupted and won't run at all until you reinstall the game.

- Lucky

Print