Print 

Author Topic: kindof a wierd thing  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
kindof a wierd thing
« on: August 10, 2007, 06:19:33 PM »
For somereason Halo wants to freeze my comp after I quit one game. I recently installed XP Pro 64 Bit and someother upgrades aswell. I reinstalled Halo onto a sata hard drive and for some reason it started doing that.

I want some help with the problem. Ill try reinstalling halo again and see if it persists but plz give me Ideas on what I should do about it..

also im waiting for the vent pass and someone knew on the old forum but now im not sure if anyone remembers anymore.
anyway.. plz help and ill keep u all posted on if it gets fixed or something. thnx

Bleach984
A part of the winning teams for season 9, 10, 13, 17, 18 and now 19. Thanks for all of the great memories guys :D

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
Re: kindof a wierd thing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 02:16:45 AM »
Quick question, is your processor a 64-bit processor, or did you just upgrade to XP Pro 64 because it looks better than your original? 
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:26:39 PM »
ye its a amd Athlon X2 64bit 6000+
A part of the winning teams for season 9, 10, 13, 17, 18 and now 19. Thanks for all of the great memories guys :D

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:30:09 PM »
So to clarify you did not install XP Pro 64 over XP Home SP2, you installed XP Pro 64 cleanly on the SATA drive instead, then put Halo on it?  Sounds more like the original graphics/audio/mobo/optical drivers that you had on XP Home weren't updated to XP Pro 64, or were broken when you did the upgrade (incompatible 32 vs 64-bit).  When was the last time you went to Windows Update and updated everything possible?
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »
ok what exactly happened was as follows,

I tried my old XP hime SP2 with my mobo and my dad had recently brought o=home  Xp pro 64bit and my home install didnt want to work.
so what I did then was reformat my IDE hard drive and I installed XP 64bit on that hard drive. the whole install then worked except for that one thing
and on the SATA drive is where I installed Halo.

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
I tried my old XP hime SP2 with my mobo and my dad had recently brought home Xp pro 64bit and my home install didnt want to work.  so what I did then was reformat my IDE hard drive and I installed XP 64bit on that hard drive.

So to clarify you did not install XP Pro 64 over XP Home SP2, you installed XP Pro 64 cleanly on the SATA drive instead, then put Halo on it? 

the whole install then worked except for that one thing and on the SATA drive is where I installed Halo.

Sounds more like the original graphics/audio/mobo/optical drivers that you had on XP Home weren't updated to XP Pro 64, or were broken when you did the upgrade (incompatible 32 vs 64-bit).  When was the last time you went to Windows Update and updated everything possible?

Again, consider that Halo PC is not a 64-bit game, and that you may have to run it in 32-bit compatibility mode.  Also refer to my above quote about the original drivers. *poke, poke*

*Oh, and keep in mind that MANY games are broken once you try to play them on Vista.  NOT compatible at all until things get updated by their creator.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:03:39 PM by BFM_Chaindog »

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »
from what ive read AMD Athlon 64bit processors can do that automaticly.
How do u get legacy(or compat mode) to work?

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 07:56:59 PM »
Heh, remember that this is Micro$oft we are really talking about, not AMD.  While the processor may do it, it may also be that the processor line was created before Vista was officially rolled out (and may not be 100% thereof).  But the key is that it is Windoze Vista that is where the compatibility issue lies.  As for how to set it in Vista, if it isn't like WinXP's options then neither myself nor Mxy deal with Vista and would have no clue (except to Google it for you).   :LOL:

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 01:37:25 AM »
umm somehow I think you got the impression that I have vista...well I dont I have XP Pro 64 bit edition

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:47:50 PM »
ok what exactly happened was as follows,

I tried my old XP hime SP2 with my mobo and my dad had recently brought o=home  Xp pro 64bit and my home install didnt want to work.
so what I did then was reformat my IDE hard drive and I installed XP 64bit on that hard drive. the whole install then worked except for that one thing
and on the SATA drive is where I installed Halo.

Chain, re-read. :o ;D d_b :cop:

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »
ROFL!  That's what I get from replying to too many mixed threads.   :LOL:   Yeah yeah, lemme take a day off and re-read my weird reply to your Pro 64 problem.   :doh:

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »
 :LOL: ok let me know when u get ur mind back in order :P

Print