Print 

Author Topic: Window scrolling up?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
Window scrolling up?
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:48:45 PM »
It's a weird phenomenon.  When I type in the message box, like I am doing right now, it has the tendency to scroll up, and I can't see what I'm typing.  This only happens when I make a long message, about 15+ lines.  This makes it hard to see and highlight text.  I'm thinking it has to do with my browser settings, but I can't seem to find anything that fits this description.  Any thoughts?

I'm currently using IE 8, and I accidentally installed this.  So, I'm giving it an accidental test run, before I switch back to IE7 or Firefox.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Window scrolling up?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:04:08 AM »

Annoying ain't it.

The forums are not 100% compatible with IE8, so you need to run the site in "compatibility mode".  Just open up the forums, then click on Tools and click/check Compatibility View.  This will run the site as it would in IE7.

To be sure it will always be in that mode, click Tools, then Compatibility View Settings, and make sure bfmracing.net is in the list.

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:04:08 AM »
thanks.  We'll see how well that works soon.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »

Wait....

There's an IE 7?!?!  :o

:winkgrin:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
yay it works.  Stupid IE 8, doesn't like me I guess.  Oh well, I'll make it like me. :muah:

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:44:24 AM »

It's complicated, but a site that doesn't work in IE8 isn't following the HTML (or other) standards correctly.  They decided to enforce the standards more closely in IE8.  But because a lot of sites will be broken, they provide this compatibility mode.  So probably the forums software will have an update at some point to be compliant with standards so it works well with IE8.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »

It's complicated, but a site that doesn't work in IE8 isn't following the HTML (or other) standards correctly.  They decided to enforce the standards more closely in IE8.  But because a lot of sites will be broken, they provide this compatibility mode.  So probably the forums software will have an update at some point to be compliant with standards so it works well with IE8.

Heh.

You're being WAY too kind to M$ on this one!

It was more like "they stopped being one of the worst standards-compliance-renegades on the planet" with IE8!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »
It's telling you to be more succinct in your posts.  Read the signs, Goalie!

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Print