Print 

Author Topic: My computer killed my PC games!! :'( *cough*MXYHELP*cough*  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
  • You've gotta think fast to be fast!
    • A Sonic Fan's paradise! ^^
My computer killed my PC games!! :'( *cough*MXYHELP*cough*
« on: September 03, 2007, 06:00:14 PM »
 :'( My computer suddenly isn't running any of my PC games!!  I try to open up halo, and all I get is the halo main screen never getting any farther than that, and when It does get farther, it just freezes up.  Alt F4 doesn't do anything, it won't minimize and I have to hit control alt delete multiple times for anything to come up.  All the startup videos play fine, but after the last startup video, It's just a black screen.  For those who have the target " -novideo", all that does for me is show the Halo background for eternity, which can get kinda boring. It does that with my other games as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :'(

Sonic
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 06:20:02 PM by Sonic »
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Special thanks to Mr T for the sonic sig!! :D
You found my secret message!  PM me for a prize!

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
Re: My computer killed my PC games!! :'( *cough*MXYHELP*cough*
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »
HOLY CRAP, here's the wierd thing.  After I try to get a game to work 50 times in a row then stop for about 5-10 minutes then try again, it works on the first try!!!  happened earlier today as well.  I would rather not have halo take 30 minutes for me to finally get it to cooperate, so help would still be appreciated ;D

Sonic

P.S. Sry for the double post!!!
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »

Are you doing this from a "fresh coldboot" of your computer? (I.e. From a shutdown & POWERED OFF state into Windows and then doing nothing other than trying the game(s)?)

If not, try that first!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Neeox

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 01:24:06 AM »
Lol looking at this topic from the main page it said "My computer killed m..." in the last post box. I was hoping the last word was me. "My computer killed me!" :)

Anyway, if you have tried from a Coldboot and it still doesn't work, you might want to check to see if there are any programs maybe even a virus of some sort using most/all of your RAM or CPU.

Offline BFM_SirTaco

• BFM Admin
  • Bother!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 04:39:09 AM »
mxy remember when this happened with my graphics card and CE??? i htink i just monkied around with the settings then it worked for some reason...

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »
Perhaps try upgrading to the latest version of DirectX (try this one first) (I assume you're using 9: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en )
Is it happening with any other games?

Perhaps also try repair installs of any games that aren't loading properly - for Halo it's just a case of autorunning the CD, pressing Add/Remove, then Reinstall, then "Repair files" (not exact text)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:43:29 PM by Slanzinger »
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 01:45:43 PM »
sorry for the delay in answering.  I tried the "coldboot" thing (by turning on the computer and then after looking at the forums trying a game that wasn't working yesterday and it worked).  So now my question is, Will I have to Coldboot my computer everytime I want to put in a different game?  For example, in order to balance my addiction between GTA for the PC and Halo, I play GTA whenever I know no admins would be in the servers and then switch to halo.  Would I have to cold boot it just to switch to halo?  just curious...

Sonic

Offline Mr Ninja

• Posts Too Much
  • RIP Bud
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 01:54:40 PM »
Mabey if you didnt leave your pc on 24/7  :awesome: Lol jk  :zoot:

:ninja:

A Big thanks to McSkittles for the Ninja sig

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 01:58:44 PM »
LOL NINJA, I almost do that :-\

Sonic

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 02:26:05 PM »
Here's the best way to fix something.

Buy a new computer.  :LOL:
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 04:59:22 PM »
that's a GREAT idea brick!  I'm sure I've got a couple hundred dollars lying around here somewhere... :-X

Sonic

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:28:14 PM »
No, Sonic, you shouldn't need to reboot EVERY time you want to play one of those games, just sometimes, when Windoze gets into a funky state after toiling at other stuff for a while first.

Simply try to run the game, and if it doesn't work, then reboot and run it.

(You MIGHT want to pay attention to what you do on your computer in the cases where it requires a reboot and see if you can't narrow it down to one culprit that gets Windoze into that state....)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print