Print 

Author Topic: Chemistry Question  (Read 4019 times)

Offline T@rg3t

• Posts Too Much
  • Ex BFM_T@rg3t
Chemistry Question
« on: June 02, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Hey guys haven't stopped by in a long time. But summer is almost here so I might be around a bit. I've got one more final to take and that is in chemistry. We have to know a bunch of chemical reactions and I'm pretty much set with all types except for decomposition reactions. Could anyone lend some help with this reaction.

Sc2(CO3)3 --->

All the numbers are subscripts. It's just a study packet and i'd appreciate it if someone helped explain to me how to do it. Thanks in advance.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: Chemistry Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »
Metal carbonates will decompose to form a metal oxide and carbon dioxide (gas) only when heated.  Therefore:

Sc2(CO3)3 decomposes to ScO (which will be a solid) and CO2 (gas).

During the decomposition process, a gas will be one of the products.

P.S. I'm not really that smart.  The above answer was my wife typing...she's a chemist... ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:07:16 PM by BFM_Booyah »

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline T@rg3t

• Posts Too Much
  • Ex BFM_T@rg3t
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »
Tell your wife she is my hero! Haha. Thank you much.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »

I'm no Mrs Booyah, but the numbers have to add up on both sides of the equation don't they?  So

Sc2(CO3)3  --> 2(ScO) + 3(CO2) + O ?

Like this one (fermentation):

C6H12O6 --> 2 (CH3CH2OH) + 2(CO2)

Offline T@rg3t

• Posts Too Much
  • Ex BFM_T@rg3t
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:18:42 PM »
Yeah I think Kiwi is right. I was just sitting here trying to get it to balance and realized it was impossible.

*I don't know if Kiwi's way works either. *

I think I've got it figured out though. I've come up with

Sc2(CO3)3 --> Sc2O3 + 3CO2

Seem legit?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:22:59 PM by T@rg3t »

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »

Sc2(CO3)3  --> 2(ScO) + 3(CO2) + O ?

If you're going to make that formula the oxygen needs to be diatomic correct? So that might throw off you're balancing a bit, but I don't even think it needs to be in there personally. I'm in AP Chem so I have some idea of how this should work :P

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 06:23:21 PM »
First of all, it is EXTREMELY rare for oxygen to be found in elemental form.  Oxygen would form a diatomic and be O2.  Also, take into account that Sc will have a charge.  The initial compound was Sc2(CO)3.  Since the carbonate has a charge of 2-, Sc would have to have a charge of 3+.  Therefore the balanced reaction should be:

Sc2(CO3)3 = Sc2O3 + 3CO2

This would be the correct balanced reaction.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline T@rg3t

• Posts Too Much
  • Ex BFM_T@rg3t
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »
Okay. Yupp..i was playing with it and got that too. It balances...looks good to me! Thanks guys!

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:27:17 PM »
I'm no chemist, just about the only thing I can do is balance equations. That last one is right numerically at least.

Hey Booyah, we all knew it was Mrs. Booyah typing that... :P
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
Was going to mention that Scandium was still +3 and needed to be Scandium (III) Oxide, but I was beaten to it :P
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline Bulk

• Regular Poster
  • hey hey hey!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 07:05:11 AM »
hmmm, feeling rather stupid reading all this lol
not lookin forward to chem gcse tomorrow :S
TY MiG for the Siggeh xD
Bit harsh tbh, thought i was at least nice sometimes :P

Offline Bulk

• Regular Poster