Print 

Author Topic: Appropriate language?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline coRpSE

• Newbie Poster
    • headshotdomain
Appropriate language?
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:50:19 AM »
Hello all,

I don't know if any of you actually remember me from years ago, I am talking some 3-5 years ago, I went by [HS]coRpSE also DreAdeDcoRpSE.  I remember you guy's here being somewhat new. Well, I have had my game lying around for the last few years. Well I pulled it out and said to my self, what the heck, I will install it and see if anyone stills plays it. Well, I installed it and saw that your servers were still around so I went on.

Well after being on your server for the last 2 days, I want to know what is up with you guy's and calling none profanity, considered "Rated G" words Profanity and kicking people for them. I don't know about some of your admin's, if they are just power hungry, but words like "dang", "darn", "*word removed*" are considered "Rated G" words.

I can see how you guys want to keep the servers somewhat a "family" oriented server. But no offense, If your trying to keep the language to a rated "G"(4 - 7 years old) server, should you be doing that to a game that is not Rated M (17+)?

Any parent that allows a child to play this game, especially at the "rated G" level (, more and likely uses far worse words then dang and darn.

Mostly I am wondering, what happened. You were a "family orinated" before, but now it seem like you guys are going to yell at people if they use word's such as "shoot" out of context.

I don't know about any of you, but I been playing games since the early 80's and online games as soon as they first came out, and it seems to me to be a little ridicules.

I am not by no means trying to tell you guys how to run your servers or trying to step on any toes. but I remember back then, you guys were not like this. I am wondering what happened, why so strict on non profanity, non racial, common language that you would hear in such shows as "Full House",   "Scooby Doo", and most Disney TV shows.

I just don't understand your logic behind this concept of those words being "Profanity".

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
Re: Appropriate language?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 02:00:33 AM »
Well Corpse I noticed that at least one of the words was censored automatically on the forums. It now appears as "*expletive*". Dang, shoot and darn are not considered swear words. However the forms they stand for are. And whatever the 3rd word you placed there definitely is. As for you comments about Halo being Rated M 17+. Sure, the halo campaign is rated M 17+. Well our servers aren't, and that is not going to change anywhere in the near future. Explicit language, racism, drug referenecs are all NOT tolderated. This is for many reasons.

The first reason is that kids DO play halo and they don't need to be exposed to that kind of language or other junk not suitable for a 2nd grade classroom. Many people here have kids, some of which play halo and they don't want their kids seeing that filth.

A second reason is I myself don't want to see any of that in a server. I come on to relax, race and have fun with friends. The atmosphere and everything else it creates is not enjoyable and I don't want to spend my spare time getting cussed at.

If you want some more reading material I suggest you have a look at the link I have posted below.
http://www.bfmracing.net/forums/index.php?topic=32412.0

And if you don't agree, feel free to play halo in other servers. But please don't use that language or make inappropriate references. Details and specfics may be found in our full detailed rules on our website.

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline coRpSE

• Newbie Poster
    • headshotdomain
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
The first reason is that kids DO play halo and they don't need to be exposed to that kind of language or other junk not suitable for a 2nd grade classroom. Many people here have kids, some of which play halo and they don't want their kids seeing that filth.

If that's the point, you should ban all talking. Because any word used in any context could be considered a "swear word" by your reasoning.  The word that was sensored means to condemn, inflict loss upon. Which is a common word used in all ages, even in book, titles and kid shows.

This next section relates to you parents that have young children playing this game and deemed words like that inappropriate.

First thing, you don't want your kids seeing words like that is a little pointless when you are allowing them to play a game that promotes violence. Any way you look at it, you are contradicting your self saying, I don't want them to hear words like dang, darn, shoot, used in a context as in, "Darn, I just got shot", or "Awe shoot". Yet you will allow them to play a game that promotes violence and has it where you shoot others.

If you want a pure racing, Ban everyone from shooting, Don't allow it and only have them race. That is the only way you would stop your self from contradicting your self.

A second reason is I myself don't want to see any of that in a server. I come on to relax, race and have fun with friends. The atmosphere and everything else it creates is not enjoyable and I don't want to spend my spare time getting cussed at.

I never said using curse word should be allowed, I am saying that you are considering words that are not cuss words swearing. I don't see how someone that say's something like,  (d-*-*-*, I just messed up there.) is cursing.

Overall, You guy's may want to go back to school and learn a few things about not being a hypocrite. There is no way your server can be a rated G server if your playing a game that is Rated M. It's rated M for the violence that happens in game, as in shooting each other, blood that shows, ect... If you want that then you might as well switch your server to playing spoungebob game. Even then you would run into issues from what he says normally.

Eliminate all guns and gunners all together and just have pure racing, remove all death and blood, and have it where when they "die", they just respawn and there is no death scene or dead bodies.

You can not downgrade a rating, you can only make it higher. Read the ESRB about online line gaming, I will quote it.

Do ESRB ratings address player chat or player-generated content in online-enabled games?

ESRB ratings only address content created by the publisher, and cannot consider content that is created or introduced by individual players when playing the game online.

The Rating pertains to the game that was created by the publisher, that's online and off-line game play. You can not take the violence out of a violent game unless you rewrite the mod to eliminate all "guns, grenades, blood, death, ect...". Until then, you can not call your self a Rated G server for you are not till you rewrite the mod.

I do agree with keeping the language appropriate, I am a sever owner and I been running servers for years. Probably longer then most of you, and I keep to the same morals about keeping it appropriate, but I don't go to the extent to warn people/kick people if they are saying a word in context as in they just messed up or got hurt and is mad at them selves. If your target audience is 2nd grade, then I just really like to know what kind of self respecting parent will allow there children to play a game that promotes violence but don't want there kids to hear words like dang, darn, shoot in a context as stated above.

If you had just stated to me that you don't want it because its your rules, I would have dropped it and said fine, but when you site there and promote your site around being a hypocrite and contradicting your selves, then that what annoys me. You guys need to get your facts straight and also find a mod writer to start making your Rated G mod for your clan;s servers.

Also get BFM_Hydra to fix his post for he is promoting false information there.
http://www.bfmracing.net/forums/index.php?topic=32412.0
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:37:20 PM by BFM_Hlao »

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
Well you are welcome to your opinion and you are welcome to run you own servers any way you see fit.  I can promise no member of BFM will insultingly critisize your own values in your servers like you have done to us.  You are not going to hurt our feelings one bit if you choose another community to frequent.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline coRpSE

• Newbie Poster
    • headshotdomain
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
I was told to respond and ask here by one of your own member rather then discussing it in game. And the only answer I really have gotten from you is false claims on facts that was not properly researched. Overall, if your going to run your servers like a 2nd grade class, then I recommend writing a mod to suit your likings, or instead of having admins always spam, "cant say that", why not try implementing a system like "big brother bot" that will stop certain words that you dislike from being used which will eliminate your admins from being power hungry.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »
noted...

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Print