Print 

Author Topic: New Audio/Visual Computer "Snooping" Technologies!  (Read 1342 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
New Audio/Visual Computer "Snooping" Technologies!
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:35:56 AM »
[Okay. Here is where this intro belongs!  :embarrassing: ]

On vent the other night something was said that caused me to recall out loud information about an article I'd recently read about how they're devising amazingly clever schemes to eavesdrop on computer users: "Listening" to a user's typing sounds to determine what they're writing, and grabbing full-screen images in real time ... off of the USER'S EYEBALLS! (Or even a coffee mug on the desk behind them!)

Enoch was somewhat disbelieving, so I said I'd post about it in the forums.

The remote visual surveillance article can be read in the  online version of the May 2009 issue of Scientific American.  It describes - AND SHOWS - how any computer screen could be watched in real time from as much as four miles away.  All that's needed is line-of-sight access into the room where the computer and its user reside.  :o (Of course, sometimes it's easier than others, but chances are it can be done in almost any existing computer-user's environment....)

A graphic in the article shows how it can work from 57m using a $10,000 commercial Celestron telescope, too. (Therefore much farther with military-/scientific-grade instruments....)

The scariest part of this newly uncovered method is: it leaves NO TRAIL, and it need NOT BE located within the confines of the victim's environment. (I.e. A "bug" or such would need to be located within the office, and send out signals that might be detected. Note that listening into a room from OUTSIDE of it is a method that is also non-intrusive, and already widely in use today....  ::) )

The article made passing reference to another "computer snooping" technology that's been around for a while now: "listening" to the user typing, and recreating their keyboard entry from only the audio of the keystroke action. (Prior to that a similar method involved listening to the electromagnetic pulses made by the keystrokes via radio detection.  [Google "keyboard emissions"...] )

So this particular article only makes an aside to prior "keyboard snooping" technologies, but the audio/acoustic one is the one in question...  So here's an article about the Berkeley guys getting 96% accuracy from 10-minute audio recordings of people typing. (Note the dateline!!!  :o )

So there you go.

You're never safe OR secure!

Deal with it!

:winkgrin:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:49:08 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
Re: New Audio/Visual Computer "Snooping" Technologies!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »
Also, do a google search for "Van Eck phreaking" and be prepared to be scared, hehe.

I first read about it in the amazing, but very very thick novel Cryptonomicon, by the genius Neal Stephenson. I wondered if it was real, and of course, it is, lol... In the book some guys use this technique to monitor their neighbor's computer through a hotel wall.  :eek:

-Loq

Ya, I wasn't going to mention 1960s tech! (  :o  :o )

A TEMPEST-shielded military-grade HD CRT monitor weighs almost 600 lbs....

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:41:20 AM by MrMxyzptlk »

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:21:07 AM »
:o :o Wow :o :o

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:12:15 PM »
I love how Mxy is such a great source of... not trivial... but... almost techy occult-esce info. = )
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
I love how Mxy is such a great source of... not trivial... but... almost techy occult-esce info. = )

heh.

I'm just and old-fart, techno-geek!  :siderofl: :winkgrin:

Truth is: I got into High Tech because the "cutting edge" was full of cool challenges with mind-boggling, head-spinning future possibilities.  (Just thinking about the future ramifications of each thing I saw happening is a blast!)

I got OUT of it because "doing it" - even just three days/week - made it impossible to keep up with it! (That and I was getting old and wanted a break from 10-hour workdays....)

I'd call myself a "Futurist" if I took the leap to include moral and political ramifications in to the equation, but that would muddy the pristine clarity of it all!  :sad:

Oddly READING about it all - online and in print (still, even!) - is faster, and I can keep more on top of things!

...Plus Imma loudmouth and I love to share!

::) :winkgrin:

Offline TrûnkMonke¥

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »
Oh great. Now I have MORE to worry about? Concentrating is difficult enough already, what with these black helicopters buzzing my house all the time........

:siren:
Don't Mess With TrûnkMonke¥!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is a TrunkMonkey?
Check out these hilarious links below to find out!
Anti-Theft System     Road Rage
Bribe the Trooper      Hooligans
Samurai Monkey       First Aid
Chaperone               EMT Monkey
Alien Abduction         Sales Monkey               
Recall Notice            
Compilation 1          Compilation 2

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
You know, I've actually tried thinking of ways to do this. Like, listen to the sounds of the different keys and put it together to make words. I've also thought about hooking up wires to each key of a keyboard and then running them into a computer and writing a program to put it all together. Crude, I kow, and could also be done with a keylogger, but I'm not into hacking. Although, if I wanted to get into it, I could probably learn all about it from Mxy. :P

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Print