Print 

Author Topic: Mafia Banned?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline MafiaMotha

• Newbie Poster
Mafia Banned?
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:25:57 PM »
Hello,

My name is Mafia~Motha and I've been playing your racing servers now and then. Just now, I've been told to leave immediately due to my clan name and told to stripe it by 2 of your admins.

I respected them and left.

However, I feel humiliated that I was told to leave the server due to my clan name. I understand that the leaders may say "what the admins said was correct" This may be the BFM custom.

Regardless, I want to show my disappointment in regards to these infantile rule in a game where when you shoot, people bleed blood and rate M. I don't even see this around your board OR was never told to leave in my 3+ years of playing halo in BFM server (nor my 5+ years of halo experience)

Hope you guys can be little more easy on clans at least (I understand if I had a bad/improper name, I would have to leave)

Cheers!
Mafia~Motha
Link to clansite removed as we cannot control the content...I have it stored though. ~Hydra

We also do not allow others to advertise their clan on our forums by posting links etc. ~ Elvis
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:25:19 AM by BFM_Elvis »

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: Mafia Banned?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:55:19 AM »
I appreciate your opinion and I understand your disappointment.  The first thing you should understand though is that the reason the name Mafia is not allowed has nothing to do with you, your clan, or what that name means to you.  It has to do with the very real offense that could be taken by someone other than yourself.  The Mafia is a very real and very evil organization that has caused irreparable harm to countless innocent families.  You have no idea if any of them might participate in this community.

I think using the term humiliation crosses the line into an overstatement considering you are here to complain about where we draw the lines on our standards.  That is just my opinion but it does bring up the exact point I would like to make.  Even though you do not agree with our standards I would be willing to bet that you do have standards in your community as well.  Are there not lines that someone could cross in your community to find themselves no longer welcome?  Does whether or not I agree with where you have chosen to draw the lines on your standards have any bearing on how you will enforce your standards in your servers?  One last question, if someone you just banned from your server for crossing your lines comes to your forums and accuses you of having infantile standards what would be your response?

P.S. That last question is not rhetorical

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline MafiaMotha

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »
Well, this is the exact thing I want to question.

This is not your standard as far as I know in my experience in playing your servers. I see it as a 'made up' standard of someone who want to exercise/practice their power in server.

Mafia doesn't means its a bad organization...so is all 'Osamas' Mafia just means a organization of associates. Most of the cases, they've been criminals.

Now just because someone uses Bin Laden or Even Osama Bin Laden doesn't mean he is a member of that community. The point of playing in online is for the sole purpose of fun. And it should be noted that we have standards but not standards that contradicts with the game itself such as

1. Its a mature rated game. Although you could let under 16 race around, people could play when you are around.

2. The gore scenes of running someone over effectively, can be done even when you are racing...more like a mafia crime scene.

There is no such standards exist on this clan regarding removing Mafia name as its an adjective. Its pretty hard to draw lines around this but when it comes to a clan, that is playing in your server respectfully, it should be considered.

Still, being straight forward, last night, I saw that admin as someone who wanted to exercise his power...even the rest of the players in the server accepted "dude, thats clan bashing"

The reason I am still coming and pointing this out isn't because I have no other servers, but I respect Bfm clan its admins for their constant present in servers and rule keeping. I always get a good race.

Cheers,
Mafia~Motha

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:28 AM »
You are free to see things any way you wish but it does not mean the conclusions you draw are correct.  I noticed you did not answer my question though...

And as an example of at least one incorrect conclusion you came to because of your false assumtions you made, you said:

...This is not your standard as far as I know...

...I see it as a 'made up' standard of someone who want to exercise/practice their power in server...

...There is no such standards exist on this clan regarding removing Mafia name as its an adjective...

Really?  Then how do you explain this:

http://www.bfmracing.net/forums/index.php?topic=31858.0

I can offer you more examples of just where you have made false assumptions if you like?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:12:02 PM by BFM_Booyah »

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline MafiaMotha

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
Isn't it cheating yourselves and other parents and their kids when you say that:

"Your goal is to provide a family friendly server" When a kid who is in your clan could easily play in a single player mode or go in other 'violent' game types in multi player?

** content removed **  ~Kiwi

The kid who plays here is going to play in other servers without a doubt and obviously going to try out the single player gaming type.

Of course, its your server, you pay, what you says go but not to the outside world.

I see that I am attacking your policies which isn't why I came here but when you refer to your polices, it too have many loopholes...such as my previous example.

If my name is Bin Laden, and I am a US citizen, my name could bring nightmares to a child who's father died in terrorist attacks...that doesn't mean I don't have the right to play in your server? Or is that you will kick such names out because the kids need to learn that and later bully/be racist to whoever have a name like Bin Laden or Osama?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:05:28 PM by BFM_Kiwi »

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »
What an individual does outside of BFM is none of our business but we have made promises to the parents of some of our younger members that we will do what we can to make the environment within BFM one that is as reasonably safe as those parents could make it if they were running it for their own children.  You can criticize that goal if you want but we know it is a worth while goal and are proud to provide that kind of atmosphere and will not compromise those promises just because there are other places that have lower standards.

No you would not be allowed to have the name Bin Laden in our servers.  There are very few reasons for anyone to use that name or many others similar to it and a vast majority of those reasons have nothing to do with playing a good natured game of Halo race.  Coming into our server with a name that is obviously meant to stir up political, social or some other kind of debate is not welcome.  We are here to race...that's all.  Not teach life lessons, not to hide anyone from the world or overly expose them to it.  We are just here to provide a place that is reasonably safe for all ages to play a friendly and competitive game of Halo race.  If you come into our community with any other intention other than to participate in an all ages appropriate game of race then you are barking up the wrong tree and will most likely wear out your welcome pretty quickly.

If you want to debate the pro's and con's of social behavior I am sure there are plenty of places you can go to do that but we are not going to do it here.  We have our standards and our rules to uphold them.  I have done my best to help you understand where we are coming from and if you don't get it by now you won't.  If you just don't agree, fine.  We will agree to disagree.

Print