Print 

Author Topic: Who wants to be an Air Traffic Controller!?!? -UPDATED  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Newbie Poster
Who wants to be an Air Traffic Controller!?!? -UPDATED
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »
Follow this link and read it over. They hire in waves, and for some reason this one only goes through July 17th. If you have questions, you know who to ask.  :)

http://jobs.faa.gov/asap_detail.asp?vac_id=111525

Some info - The starting salary they mention is only for preliminary training in Oklahoma City, and it doesn't include the locality pay and the per diem you also get while there, which would be for about 3 or 4 months depending on whether you go enroute (3) or terminal (4). Once you get to your facility (assuming you pass OK City), your salary goes up a little and a new locality percentage also applies. As you train at your new facility over the course of about three years (give or take), your salary will increase incrementally with the certifications you earn. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it - depending on what facility you end up in, you may work harder than you have ever worked for anything before. But, if you can handle it, it's a good Federal job with good benefits (health insurance, etc... -not free airline tickets :doh:).

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:21:27 PM by BFM_Flyboy »

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Who wants to be an Air Traffic Controller!?!? -UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:19:24 AM »
What do you mean they hire in waves? Like nothing for a few months, then tons of availablities? Or just always hiring?

I've had jobs where we were "always hiring". Interested applicants never asked why.

(It's because people were always quitting! And since people don't quit because they're making too much money or having too much fun...)

Just curious.

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »
I've always wanted to be an ATC.  I didn't want to fly the planes, I wanted to be the ones to order them around. :P

Problem is my eyesight isn't the best.  My dad, who has flown before, said that even with all the radars and equipment that they have at their disposal, ATCs still need to have good eyesight to search for the planes visually.  (i.e. in case the equipment malfunctions)

I've seen that some colleges have degrees in Air Traffic Management and such.  I think one school in New England has its own airport, so the students there get hands-on training in several aspects of air travel.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline xen0n -

• Regular Poster
  • a winner is a loser who never gives up.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »
In a year I hope I'll start my training as a fighter pilot in the belgian air force so I'll be hearing a lot of atc's :P

^^ Blast from the past, anyone remember this one? ^^

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 04:52:58 AM »
Australian ... :P

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »
My grandfather was an ATC for 15 years. He suffered brain damage from the stress of the job and had to retire. He then moved to Florida and opened up an ice cream stand.

Unless you love stress, don't be an ATC.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:40:23 AM by Tang »

Print