Print 

Author Topic: Disconnect/Lag boxes (Gamespy Issue?)  (Read 1720 times)

Offline BFM_Zakk

• BFM Admin
  • :|
Disconnect/Lag boxes (Gamespy Issue?)
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:46:54 AM »
I think we've all dealt with the dreadful little box in the bottom right corner when things get a little too laggy. Well, many people have been getting that the past hour or so in many BFM servers. It happens about 15 minutes into everyone joining the server since about 2:00(Central Time Zone). Server 1, 3, (maybe 5 or 6), and the Aussie servers have had it happen to them tonight. Everyone is getting lagged out, and it seems as though it's for no reason. So, does anyone have any idea as to why they servers are acting up like this?

EDIT: It seems to be happening every 10 minutes at xx:x2 (03:02, 03:12, 03:22, etc). I warned JR Slayer that our servers might lag out on him, and he said it's been happening to their servers. He also said he thinks it's happening to all of Halo's dedicated servers. So, now I'm wondering, is it a Gamespy issue?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:25:49 AM by bfm_Zakk »

Offline McSkittles

• Senior Poster
Re: Disconnect/Lag boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »
I can't think of a specific reason they would do this(lol, its like 2AM ;D), but it has also happened to -db-'s server 2. I believe it was fixed by restarting the servers, and leaving them to sit for a minute or 2. Hope this helps Zakk :neckbeard:

- McSkittles

^^ Done by me(freshly updated :))

^^ Done by SPiDEY

^^ Big thanks to bl!Tz'

Offline zdn1

• Newbie Poster
Re: Disconnect/Lag boxes
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 01:26:14 AM »
I went to xk and theirs did it too. Also, it seems to happen on Blood Gulch most often (although theirs lagged out in Timberland).

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Disconnect/Lag boxes (Gamespy Issue?)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 01:30:05 AM »

All the BFM servers were doing it.   They emptied out and I went to -JR- and theirs did it to.

Offline McSkittles

• Senior Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:08:59 AM »
Hmmmm.....with several clans servers doing it, that most likely means that the server hosts for several clans are having techincal problems. It might help if somebody from each of the clans having issues sent an email to their host's technical support and explain to them what is happening, and ask what exactly is happening and when it is expected to be fixed.

- McSkittles

^^ Done by SPiDEY

^^ Big thanks to bl!Tz'

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:38:13 AM »
You would have it happen in the Aussie server if you have a bad connection to Australia ;)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »

1) GameSpy has nothing to do whatsoever with Halo game play once you leave it to join a game.

2) It could be coincidence or "imagined confluence" that it was happening in a widespread manner, but then it also could've been another large scale DDoS attack getting in the way of all Internet traffic throughout certain geographic regions. (NOTE: I don't see any reports of an event occurring, however, so I doubt that was it....)

Chalk it up to "coincidence," says I.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »
all the same host and they're having problems?

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline McSkittles

• Senior Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »
I was just with Zakk and Fluffy in a server when the lag box issue happened. It seems to happen randomly, and quite suddenly.

^^ Done by SPiDEY

^^ Big thanks to bl!Tz'

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 12:29:14 AM »
Our servers are across a number of hosts. Sometimes they do get laggy. It usually doesn't last too long. If it does we contact the provider to find out what is wrong.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 12:32:15 AM »
Anyone know if it's done this in the CE server?
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline jokerman

• Junior Poster
  • Connecting.......
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
Same thing happened again last night/this morning at approximately the same time on server #1.

Happened three times in about 20-30 minutes.  Kicked most (if not all) of us out each time with the generic "Server has Shut Down" msg.  I got kicked once but left when it happened the third time.

I didn't check the other servers when this was going on but doing a quick tracert and IP lookup, it appears that #1, #2, #3, and #5 are from three different hosts at 4 different locations. 

If this is happening to all of them (and continues to happen, especially at approximately the same time), then there may be a different issue at work.  Like what do these servers have in common?  Do they all use the same stat tracking service(s)?

In either case, it would be a good idea to report the issue to the host(s).

Offline snowkiller

• Posts Too Much
  • The best team ever!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »
im getting it every couple of seconds, it driving me crazy, i cant play, i thought it was just me.

its like that in all severs for me.

Offline jokerman

• Junior Poster
  • Connecting.......
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
I probably should clarify a little.

Each of the three times it happened to me last night/this morning was for a duration of about 5 minutes each.  I would stand still to wait for the "Lag Storm" to  end and suddenly jump from one part of the map to another.  I totally lost connection once on Sidewinder but stayed in Gephy when it happened the other two times until I quit.  People were dropping like files but I don't know if everyone lost connection or quit on their own and came back.  Chatting was near impossible during the episodes. 

But it was very bad for several minutes and then would be fine again for 5-10 minutes and then bad again.

Offline snowkiller

• Posts Too Much
  • The best team ever!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »
i was never lagged out of a game, but AR server #1 was just as bad.

Print