Print 

Author Topic: "Hackers" thwart card-skimming attempt  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Titanium»X«

• Junior Poster
Re: "Hackers" thwart card-skimming attempt
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »
I don't sign the back of my cards. I just write, "ASK FOR ID."   

No one ever looked at the signature panel though  ::)

Offline SilverFox

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 03:03:35 AM »
Mega lol at epic fail. pwndizzled

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 12:16:30 AM »

No one ever looked at the signature panel though  ::)

Not only does that NOT help, but it puts YOU at jeopardy of fraud every time you use a card without your name on the back!!  ::) :undecided:

P.S. There's a superb photo/essay about this guy that used his signatures as a form of prank to test out the businesses' and the credit company's response to his intentional abusive use of UNauthorized signatures on his transactions. I can't post a link to it, however. Sry.  :-\

They did that in Australia too. Someone signed as "Bugs Bunny" and went around to see how many assistants checked the credit card. It's something crazy like 95% don't bother.

My experience is that when someone swipes and puts their card away and I state "sorry, I need to see your card", the customer will be more than happy to oblige and I've had responses like "oh, of course, it's great to see someone is looking out for us..." etc. because that is what we are doing - looking out for the customer, not ourselves.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »
P.S. There's a superb photo/essay about this guy that used his signatures as a form of prank to test out the businesses' and the credit company's response to his intentional abusive use of UNauthorized signatures on his transactions. I can't post a link to it, however. Sry.  :-\

I've seen something on the internet similar to that. A guy went to restaurants and all kinds of places and signed some crazy names, then took pictures of the receipt as proof that he got away with it. Getting bold, he started signing as "unauthorized signature" or something and still got away with it. It wasn't until he tried to buy some expensive TV (and sign as "not authorized") that he was finally shut down.

It was pretty funny. I heart comedy writers.

Offline Titanium»X«

• Junior Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 03:13:40 AM »

No one ever looked at the signature panel though  ::)

Not only does that NOT help, but it puts YOU at jeopardy of fraud every time you use a card without your name on the back!!  ::) :undecided:[/color]

After 5 years of using my credit cards tens of thousands of times, no one has ever looked at the signature panel, ever.  Whenever I buy expensive goods, they would sometimes ask for ID only to make sure the name matches the name on the card.

My credit card information got stolen about 3 times though, most likely from ordering items over the internet.  Someone got my CC# and ordered about $7,000 of electronic goods on my American Express at multiple online merchants.  I called Amex, told them I didn't make those purchases, and they removed all the charges immediately and sent me a new card.

Last year, my Chase CC got stolen and someone bought a bunch of iPods on Bestbuy's website and had it delivered to their door.  They even bought a Netflix subscription, and subscriptions to other sites which I won't mention since it's inappropriate. :P  When I saw the fraudulent transactions, I called Chase they removed all the charges.  

Those cards were in my possession the whole time though.  The biggest risk is online fraud since you can't compare people's signature when placing order over the internet. All you have to do is punch in the credit card # on the keyboard, and claim that you are the owner of the CC  ::).  I wasn't responsible for a penny though, besides from my time making those phone calls.  

BTW, Chase sent me a letter a few months ago saying they "value me as a customer" and given my "excellent credit history" they increased my credit limit to $12,000.  I don't see why they'd even do that given I never go near my credit limit, and I pay off my balance each month.

I feel sorry for people using debit cards. Waking up one day to find all the money gone from your checking account must suck big time.  Credit card FTW.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:17:41 AM by »X« »

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 04:14:17 AM »
Here in the UK, we have a 'chip & pin' system to guard against unauthorised card use in "card holder present" transactions in shops. This basically means that to make a credit or debit card purchase in a store, you must enter your pin number to verify your identity, much like you would when withdrawing cash from an ATM machine. The downside of this is, of course that you must be even more vigilant when using your pin so that it does not get seen. In most shops, the terminals are not fixed down so you can hide your fingers whist entering your number.
Of course, if you suspect that your pin has inadvertantly been released, you can change it at any ATM.

Online purchases still carry the same risk of fraud unfortunately. As stated up there somewhere, you only need the card number and, i think the card holder's address.
It's easy enough to spot fraud though... Just take 5 minutes to check your bank statements daily or even weekly.  I read somewhere that the majority of fraud cases go undiscovered because people are so indifferent to their actual bank balance that they do not read their statements and so little and often, fraudsters take money out and make purchases over a long peroid of time.

Personally, I hate not knowing exactly what's in my daily accounts.

~Fraggle
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 04:16:39 AM »
Well, once we get our microchip implants and begin the transition to a cashless society, this thread will be a joke!

:P

/thread ender

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »
Here in the UK, we have a 'chip & pin' system to guard against unauthorised card use in "card holder present" transactions in shops. This basically means that to make a credit or debit card purchase in a store, you must enter your pin number to verify your identity, much like you would when withdrawing cash from an ATM machine. The downside of this is, of course that you must be even more vigilant when using your pin so that it does not get seen. In most shops, the terminals are not fixed down so you can hide your fingers whist entering your number.
Of course, if you suspect that your pin has inadvertantly been released, you can change it at any ATM.

Online purchases still carry the same risk of fraud unfortunately. As stated up there somewhere, you only need the card number and, i think the card holder's address.
[...]

~Fraggle

Well, just to clue you in on how "card skimming works:" They get an EXACT COPY of the magnetic strip on your card, video you entering in your PIN, then come back and remove their skimming equipment, go make completely-fine, working copies of your card, and use your PIN from the video of you entering it.

They can make a dozen-odd cards in under 30 minutes, charge them up, and dump them w/o a trace.

Sorry, but your system is just as susceptible to "skimming" fraud as anyone's.

Now the one's that are dumb enough to have stuff "sent to their door...."  ::)  :siderofl:  :winkgrin:

Well, once we get our microchip implants and begin the transition to a cashless society, this thread will be a joke!

:P

/thread ender

Yeah, I first thought that biometric stuff, like finger-print scanning was going to end fraud until a law enforcement friend said to me "...all they need is your finger...."

:o :o :o

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:34:46 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 06:38:30 PM »
You haven't heard the news then, JANE.  According to Nickola Tesla, he created wireless brain implants and had them installed in all newborns.

(I listen to too much radio...)  It was an ad for Six Flags Great America.

But maybe that's the reason they do an autopsy, so that the doctors collect those implants and view what it recorded... :ninja:

But debit cards you have to put in your pin most of the time.  It all depends on what the person selling you stuff wants to take, either your signature or pin number.  I've had it both ways.

And debt cards are just as secure as credit cards.  Besides, I usually only have around $50 on my checking account at any given time, so I don't lose that much anyway.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 09:44:16 PM »

I think you're unfamiliar with what "card skimming" really has become....  Yes, it CAN include the case of a shifty salesclerk, but the types this article is about is the - unfortunately lesser-known version - where they alter ANY ATM MACHINE (or the like) to "steal" your info and make a duplicate of your card.

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 03:18:34 AM »

I appreciate the system's vulnerabilities Mxy, however it's easier to shield your pin with an object like an open wallet or, to a certain extent your hand, than it is to hide every single example of your signature. and the card copies are useless without the pin :P

...and my view remains the same... Everyone will encounter fraud at some point in their life. There's no point in becoming paranoid about it when checking your accounts on a regular basis will ensure that you spot it. if money has gone out of our account without our prior knowledge, we are straight on the phone to the bank.

Scary though ain't it? what that technology stuff can do in the wrong hands...(even in the "right" hands) *cough...gvmt...*cough! :siderofl:

~Fraggle

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »

I appreciate the system's vulnerabilities Mxy, however it's easier to shield your pin with an object like an open wallet or, to a certain extent your hand, [...]

Did you even LOOK AT THE IMAGES in my post above about the current state-of-the-art in card skimming?!?!

...No to mention the current rash of simply putting entire official-enough-looking "false ATMs" in-place - which was the case in the story in the original post....

"Shielding your PIN" is darned hard to do in these cases!

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
*mumbles....... m'jus sayin is all...*

:siderofl:

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ

Offline Titanium»X«

• Junior Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 04:55:01 AM »

Now the one's that are dumb enough to have stuff "sent to their door...."  ::)  :siderofl:  :winkgrin:

Well, it's probably an abandon house.  But you never know, for there are many dumb criminals out there.

Print