Print 

Author Topic: Innappropriate names and/or language  (Read 1317 times)

Offline TEX'N

• Newbie Poster
  • Don't Mess With Texas
Innappropriate names and/or language
« on: August 15, 2009, 06:53:03 PM »
I've sometimes seen people be asked to not play with a certain name that I thought was quite a stretch and I would have allowed if I was adminning, but I just saw one that should have been outlawed.  When I asked if I was the only one bothered by it, I got one response which was "to not worry about it." :doh:

Does anyone besides me know what "****" or "*****" means?

Am I wrong, or should this person have been asked to change it?  I know each admin can decide what bothers them and what doesn't, but considering the connotations of this word, I would think it would be obvious.   2c

Oh, and I've also seen different admins react differently to a certain word for when something bad happens.  I don't allow my daughter to say it so thought it wasn't allowed, but more often than not, I'm the only one that asks people to watch language when I see it.  So pardon if this shouldn't be on here, but to clarify, is the word "crap" on the no-no list?  :o

*** TEX'N, that name is in fact not allowed.  It's not well known, so many admins might not know what it means.  I've blanked it out though, as it probably shouldn't be in the forums either.  ~Kiwi
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:08:55 PM by BFM_Kiwi »
The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You...

Offline TEX'N

• Newbie Poster
  • Don't Mess With Texas
Re: Innappropriate names and/or language
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:46:34 AM »
Ooops, thanks Kiwi.

I guess that answers my question about if it should have been in server.  One of the reasons I'm PRing is to help with thos situations in server.  I get so tired of playing games with the type of persons that think it's cool to "grief" and/or show off how obnoxious they can be on the internet when their parents aren't around.

The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You...

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: Innappropriate names and/or language
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »
We don't really have a 'no no list' so to speak.  The real obvious ones or no brainers are indeed going to be enforced fairly uniformly but there is a reason that you will see some inconsistency too.  We have admins from all over the world, different cultures and different tolerance levels.  What is offensive to one admin may not bother another.  Much of the language/name issues that come up that are questionable will fall to the admin to make a judgment.  If an admin is personally offended by something they have the right to ask it to be changed.  If they do so this does not make that particular phrase/name outlawed by the clan as a whole but just means that particular admin has earned the right not to be offended in their own server.  Another admin may allow the same thing.

We also try to pay this same respect to our guests.  If a guest makes a request for a name to be changed and the admin thinks that the request is made out of a reasonable sense of being offended then we can ask the offending guest to change their name.  That is an even harder issue to regulate because there will be times when we don't see something as reasonably offensive and will turn down such a request.  We do try our best though to provide a clean environment while at the same time trying not to be overbearing as well, which is why we would not worry about that last word you asked about.  I hope that makes sense.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Print