Print 

Author Topic: Paperclip PSU trick.  (Read 2723 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Paperclip PSU trick.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 10:33:36 PM »

FTR, folks: .1 volt DC at 1000 amps will kill you in under a minute - and you will NOT be able to let go of the wire to save yourself either, since you've just completed a DC circuit with your body....

I don't know how many AMPS that 5v rail in that PSU is rated, but I'll bet it's 1) under 1000, and 2) more than enough to kill you if you complete a DC circuit to ground with it.
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 06:54:09 AM »
FTR, folks: .1 volt DC at 1000 amps will kill you in under a minute

True but it is impossible for .1 volt to pass through layers of skin which has an average resistance of 6 megaohm's. Under a minute?? Has this been tested?? Link please :).

Once a closed circuit is made it only takes about 200mA to cause some serious damage. It isn't voltage that kills someone its current, however only if it forms a completed circuit through your body, through vitals organs (particularly the heart). Therefore needs to have a high enough voltage in order to pass through the body and complete that circuit.

Peak voltage greater than 42.4V is hazardous; voltage less than or equal to 42.4V, or SELV (safety extra-low voltage), is nonhazardous.

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 07:52:40 AM »
Based on the specs for two modern Corsair PSUs, I'd say that it's either ~15-35A or ~3A (since idk which rail is which :P)

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »
I VERY VERY HIGHLY doubt that I'm going to be killed by any of the outputs of a PSU. As a matter of fact, I've PURPOSEFULLY grabbed onto a 450V DC power supply and came out of it with nothing more than a few blisters. If I can do that, I don't think I'm gonna get hurt by the outputs of a PSU. Now, if I were to open up the case, plug it in and start touching stuff, then yeah, I'm gonna get hurt.

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
...I've PURPOSEFULLY grabbed onto a 450V DC power supply and came out of it with nothing more than a few blisters...

OMG...you really showed us!!  I guess you won't be needing our help then so I'll just lock this thread.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Print