Print 

Author Topic: Playing Halo Without the CD  (Read 10304 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Playing Halo Without the CD
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »
While we're at it, for those who have/use Alcohol 120%, it comes with a virtual drive component. (Although it did do something w/ drivers when I installed it...)

MOST of the "virtual CD/DVD" emulators will HAVE to "do something with drivers," but by far the greater majority do it within the Windows driver level.  (Which would require getting into Windows to 'infect.'  granted not all that hard, but a LOT harder than the alternative...)

DT uses a DOS*-level driver that is installed BEFORE WINDOWS - and any AV or anti-anything SW - IS BOOTED UP, you see.

Hence my cautions about it....

* Ya, I still prefer to use the OLD name for this sort of thing!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 09:57:16 PM »
Is there any way to tell the difference between the DOS-type and regular drivers?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 01:03:40 AM »
Is there any way to tell the difference between the DOS-type and regular drivers?

...Very good question, saes!

Unfortunately it's not that easy, since the naming convention isn't strictly ahdered to....

However, there's a semi-complicated way to check:

Whenever you boot your machine into "Safe Mode" (<F8> during boot sequence and select "Safe Mode") the list of loaded drivers is displayed during the boot sequence. USUALLY the last one that would normally load is named Mup.sys . Anything loaded after that is a "foriegn" DOS driver.

So you could do this: Boot into Safe Mode and watch the driver loading list scroll by, and note the name of the last one that loads (before the longer pause before Safe Mode actually starts up.)  Then install the software you're interested in, and reboot, again, in Safe Mode, and see if that's added a new DOS driver to the end of the list.

Note also that these drivers CANNOT be unloaded while WIndows is running, and uninstalling them requires a reboot.

Also note that, if I recall, uninstalling DT within WIndows does NOT remove its DOS driver! (And it can't be removed while in Safe Mode either, since it's loaded, so you have to boot from another device and remove it from that drive partition BY HAND....)

GL!

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
There's no reason for this to be stickied but so everyone can keep referring back to it I am moving it to the FAQ.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Bonessi

• Newbie Poster
  • That's me in real life...
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 07:34:38 AM »
is it possible to download Halo on a school computer?

Get Racing!

Offline Ghostly Shotz

• Junior Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 09:51:52 AM »
probly not

My first sig!

Arya's awesome sig! I love it!!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

(\(;,;)/) This is Vampire. Copy and paste Vampire into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 09:10:04 PM »
ok,
so can someone PM me on how to make my own halo cd image or how to make this work plz?

BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 09:43:06 PM »
I have used Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools to mount my HALO.iso (which is only 20 MB btw), and I must say that Daemon Tools is much more preferable. It starts up as soon as I start my computer with no pop-ups at any time. It also barely takes up any memory. Alcohol 120% tends to take up a lot more memory than Daemon Tools.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »
is it possible to download Halo on a school computer?

...Here we go again....

Sorry, but we can't get into that here, as we are not familiar with your school's (or business's) Acceptable Use Policy, which might not allow you to do that....

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »

>Sigh<  ::)

My son uses the freeware Virtual CloneDrive to SAFELY mount his ISO image CDs and DVDs....

I use the commerical ($30US, not free) VirtualDrive package from Farstone to rip and mount virtual CDs and DVDs....

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 07:47:40 PM »
can someone give me a detailed look on how to locate the ISO file on my computer/disk,
i go the Freeware that Mxy's son uses but can find the file to mount,
thanks in advance,
BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 12:11:51 AM »

Like Skedog, I installed Virtual CloneDrive, fired it up and then realized I didn't have an ISO file to browse to.  In case it isn't clear to others, it is a 2 step process:

1) create an ISO image of your CD - this is a single file you create on your hard disk - this is a one-time process
2) then use a program to "mount" the ISO file on a virtual drive each time you want to play a game without the CD

Some programs will do both (I think Alcohol and Daemon Tools will).  But if you want to avoid Daemon Tools and want freeware you'll probably have to use 2 separate programs.

For step 1, I found ISO Recorder which is freeware.  I think this would be a good program for most people. In my case, I have an old halo CD which is very scratchy, and it wouldn't read my CD (yikes!).  I tried Alcohol 52%, which has a trial version, and it worked, but only when I checked two boxes: "skip reading errors" and "fast skip error blocks".  Not sure if those errors are due to scratchy disk or copyprotection of some kind.  But I successfully created an ISO file.  So try the free one first, and if it doesn't work I guess use the Alcohol trial.

To mount the ISO I decided to use Virtual CloneDrive (see Mxy's post for link).

The complete steps would be something like this:

1) Install ISO Recorder or Alcohol
2) Insert Halo CD into drive (duh)
3) Create a folder somewhere to store all your ISO files for any games you intend to make - C:\Files\ISO or whatever
4a)  For Alcohol, start up the program, then use the "Image Making Wizard".  Select the CD drive, click next, then select Standard ISO image format, and also set the destination folder that you created in step 3
4b) For ISO Recorder you can go to My Computer or Windows Explorer and right click on the CD drive (D: or whatever) and there should be an option "create image from CD" - again you would select ISO as the format and set the location to the folder where you want to save.

You should be able to create an ISO file from the above steps.

To use the ISO:
1) Take the Halo CD out of the drive (so you can make sure it's worked!)
2) Install Virtual CloneDrive
3) When installed, if you go to My Computer, you should see a cute little Sheep icon.  If you right-click on that, select Mount, then browse to your ISO file you've created.
4) The sheep icon will get replaced with the familar masterchief icon, and you can now start up halo and it should work!

That is about everything I know, but if you have problems feel free to PM me.

Offline BFM_DarkFyr

• BFM Admin
  • Forza Vale
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 12:36:36 AM »
I am beginning to dislike macs . ugh. I want a pc there is so much more you can do!

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
Heh heh heh...I just found out something... :clint:

You can take out the CD when the game is done loading.  i.e. when you're at the main screen with the panorama of Halo and the selections.  Your game will work fine.  It just wants to see if your CD hash matches up I believe.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline FlameDragon

• Junior Poster
  • hack and slash my way to victory.
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:38 PM »
Heh heh heh...I just found out something... :clint:

You can take out the CD when the game is done loading.  i.e. when you're at the main screen with the panorama of Halo and the selections.  Your game will work fine.  It just wants to see if your CD hash matches up I believe.

It dose not check the cd hash on the cd with the one installed it just wants to see you actually have the game sort of a way to deter pirates but its not a very good way.

Print