Print 

Author Topic: Playing Halo Without the CD  (Read 10315 times)

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Re: Playing Halo Without the CD
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 12:01:28 AM »
The idea of the disk image is that you can store the disk somewhere safe and keep it only for installation purposes, while you can still use the program that requires the disk.

It is a legal process for you to make a backup copy, like an ISO, for private use.

It is also good to have one in case you lose your CD.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 03:40:50 AM »
...or in my case, if the CD gets so scratched you can't reinstall on a new computer

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 10:38:49 AM »
instead of going through all the trouble of all these programs you could just keep your CD in good condition. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »

instead of going through all the trouble of all these programs you could just keep your CD in good condition

carl, don't ever have kids   :LOL:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
instead of going through all the trouble of all these programs you could just keep your CD in good condition. 

Actually, my problem(s) [and considerations] is(are) completely different, although "wear" was a consideration when I made the jump to diskless....

- I was having a hard time keeping track of all my disks!  (Mostly due to my CHILDREN and their visiting friends!  :toughguy: ) Ripping them into mountable images and putting them all on a networked hard drive makes finding them, um, the ONLY WAY to "find" them! (And making "safe" copies of them so that I don't lose them is as easy as imaging the HDD....)

- I know of no game that is actually different ON THE DC/DVD as it's method of "verification" (keying,) so I could use MULTIPLE COPIES of the LONE image(s) on every networked computer! (I.e. All my machines simply network-mount the remote drive with all the images on them, and presto! Everyone has those CDs/DVDs at the ready! P.S. I also do this with all our ripped music, BTW! ... And the net' drives are all ready-only, so their safe!)

- Virtual drive mounting - even/esp. over Gbit Ethernet - is a LOT faster than most CD/DVD drives!  (In fact, most of my computers not only do not have floppy drives, I stopped putting CD/DVD drives in them a while ago, too!)

- Some games are sold AT A DISCOUNT online in downloadable ISO image form (e.g. Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance), so they're mountable right off the cable! (I.e. They never see the plastic of a disk!)

- There's NO WAY for me to misplace an original disk now!  I buy something, rip it onto my networked drive, update it's shadow copy, ... and put the disk and all it's (useful) packaging into a locked file cabinet in my shop! (Ya, I'd lose them all in a fire, but, um, wouldn't you, too?  ::) . . . But then *I* have a backup COPY of their images in my safety deposit box - on the backup hard drive!  ;D [Which is a lot more dense - and less $$ - than shoving all my disks in a (larger) safety deposit box!] )

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 06:03:10 PM »

Actually, my problem(s) [and considerations] is(are) completely different, although "wear" was a consideration when I made the jump to diskless....

- I was having a hard time keeping track of all my disks!  (Mostly due to my CHILDREN and their visiting friends!  :toughguy: ) Ripping them into mountable images and putting them all on a networked hard drive makes finding them, um, the ONLY WAY to "find" them! (And making "safe" copies of them so that I don't lose them is as easy as imaging the HDD....)

- I know of no game that is actually different ON THE DC/DVD as it's method of "verification" (keying,) so I could use MULTIPLE COPIES of the LONE image(s) on every networked computer! (I.e. All my machines simply network-mount the remote drive with all the images on them, and presto! Everyone has those CDs/DVDs at the ready! P.S. I also do this with all our ripped music, BTW! ... And the net' drives are all ready-only, so their safe!)

- Virtual drive mounting - even/esp. over Gbit Ethernet - is a LOT faster than most CD/DVD drives!  (In fact, most of my computers not only do not have floppy drives, I stopped putting CD/DVD drives in them a while ago, too!)

- Some games are sold AT A DISCOUNT online in downloadable ISO image form (e.g. Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance), so they're mountable right off the cable! (I.e. They never see the plastic of a disk!)

- There's NO WAY for me to misplace an original disk now!  I buy something, rip it onto my networked drive, update it's shadow copy, ... and put the disk and all it's (useful) packaging into a locked file cabinet in my shop! (Ya, I'd lose them all in a fire, but, um, wouldn't you, too?  ::) . . . But then *I* have a backup COPY of their images in my safety deposit box - on the backup hard drive!  ;D [Which is a lot more dense - and less $$ - than shoving all my disks in a (larger) safety deposit box!] )

you do have a point but in my case i only have halo for a game.  in my opinion i to would RATHER have an ISO or mountable image.  but i have read plenty of things about the dangers of such tools like dameon.  including your post, that is why i do not do things like these.  if there was a program made by a trust able corporation such as Microsoft then perhaps i would. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 06:25:17 PM »

...a trust able corporation such as Microsoft.... 

:smly_a_wink:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »

...a trust able corporation such as Microsoft.... 

:smly_a_wink:

^^!

carl: As I said in an another/earlier post, I use the corporate-ready (rock-solid) VirtualDrive by FarStone, and would highly recommend it. It rips and mounts (up to all the available disk letters you have left, i.e. 25 max!), and will rip/convert to/from ISO images from/to its own format....

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 06:01:11 AM »
 :embarrassed: didnt see that one lol.  i will look into it. 

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 08:09:07 PM »
it's a good idea but if ur in a living quarters with more than one person i.e. with ur family , roommates, dormmates, etc. it may be a good idea to keep only the CD bc u dont want someone getting on ur Halo name and getting u in trouble or banned  :undecided: but if u trust the ppl around and/or u have a very secure comp (meaning u have strong password and u always log off before u leave the comp0 then ur in good shape.

~IRELAND

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 10:34:06 PM »
it's a good idea but if ur in a living quarters with more than one person i.e. with ur family , roommates, dormmates, etc. it may be a good idea to keep only the CD bc u dont want someone getting on ur Halo name and getting u in trouble or banned  :undecided: but if u trust the ppl around and/or u have a very secure comp (meaning u have strong password and u always log off before u leave the comp0 then ur in good shape.

~IRELAND

Well, my network-mountable images can only be mounted by members of my defined in-home domain, and even then I can control whether any individual user has access to it or not....

Same goes for images on a single machine: use the system's existing security to manage who has access to what, or even make distinct groups of managed image folders....

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 10:28:57 AM »
I have moved this tutorial to the Allied Enemies forums with the image because iam just getting spammed by people asking for the image or how to make their own images

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 01:46:03 AM »
I have moved this tutorial to the Allied Enemies forums with the image because iam just getting spammed by people asking for the image or how to make their own images

HUNH?!?

:undecided:

Offline Igor

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »

HUNH?!?

I think what Taipan meant, is that he replicated this TUT over on AE forums, with the image. Not that he physically moved the thread across forums :O
~Former BFM Sergeant ~
~ Arrived 20/08/2007 - 23/11/2009 Departed... ~

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 11:53:27 PM »

HUNH?!?

Myx should of understood that, that I copied it over to the Allied Enemies forums so i can freely host an image of the bad sectors of the Halo CD. Even though the image of the bad sectors and the TOC doesn't contain any of the copyrighted authors contents it would still not be a popular feeling for the higher ups to have on the forums
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:53:07 AM by [Ć] Taipan »

Print