Print 

Author Topic: FFA on BFM ROCKS?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Mercoledi

• Junior Poster
FFA on BFM ROCKS?
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:04:54 AM »
Hiya!

Even though I know that BFM is a race clan, I very much enjoy playing on the BFM ROCKS server since you can enjoy other fun game types besides racing (personally I love KotH on Wizard, and Oddball on Prisoner), usually even with the same nice gents and ladies you usually race with on the other servers. However, the ROCKS server seems to suffer from quite a lack of players, often meaning that the teams are 2:1 or 3:2. This makes team games rather one-sided and easy to win for the larger team, which in turn often means that players from the smaller team will leave.

So I was wondering if adding a few FFA gametypes could help prevent people from leaving. Aside from allowing players to fight on their own without having to rely on a (smaller and outnumbered) team, it also means that the team are arranged anew differently, so someone who was on the outnumbered team before can at least hope to end up on the larger team, so the odds for winning that team game are better.

I don't necessarily suggest FFA slayer (boring) unless it's a fun slayer mode like Needlers-only or something like that. But FFA oddball and KotH, or even FFA race do seem reasonable choices.

Any opinions?  :)
If you're normal, the crowd accepts you. But if you're deranged, the crowd'll make you their leader!

Offline Mercoledi

• Junior Poster
Re: FFA on BFM ROCKS?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:03:39 AM »
Hiya!

I've just been playing on the ROCKS server for an hour or a bit longer, and it was 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 2 most of the time (until CTF on BG, which attracts tons of ppl), and BFM_Thud skipped a few games due to small and uneven teams. So, does this help the FFA idea a bit?  :shades:
If you're normal, the crowd accepts you. But if you're deranged, the crowd'll make you their leader!

Offline BFM_Elkric

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »
I like the idea, Mercoledi. I've also thought about this. Because of the teams. But I would probably get tired of it after a few Free-for-all games.

But I think it would be fun with ONE Free-for-all map. Infinity Slayer or Oddball.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:57:36 AM by Elkric »

Offline BFM_NavyJHk

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »
It is an idea that has come up in the past, but it's not something we'd really like to do with our servers.  It was decided a while ago that all of our servers will always be a team-oriented game if it is on slayer or the like.  We like the strategy that has to be used in a team game, and you don't get that when just trying to win for yourself.  Yes, FFA does have it's own strategies, but it isn't what we feel we want to gain from our servers.  The team concepts that have to be used in any team race, oddball, CTF, etc, make for a different kind of atmosphere - and that's what we like to see from each other - both from our clan members, but also our guests.

Now, as far as FFA race or something along those lines - it is something we've tried.  But, it never tends to last too long.  Just like with anything new, people enjoy it at first - but then they go back to what was before.  We have had some of these on our custom servers - and maybe even the ROCKS server (there might even be a rotation like that now, I'm not sure), but most of the crowd around here prefer the team games.  It's just something we've learned from trial and error.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:58:22 PM by BFM_NavyJHk »
Thank you Kàkà§hì!

Offline MrT©

• Posts Too Much
  • Horses just naturally have Mohawk haircuts.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »
Team orientation is much more fun anyway  :)

Offline Mercoledi

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:07:07 AM »
I agree that team games are "better", and I definitely prefer team games over FFA. But if the teams are 2 vs 1 (which happened most of the time in the last few weeks when I was playing), there's not much strategy or team play you can employ in the first place. It's basically one guy all by himself against two others who work together.  2c

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
hey there is a team slayer option just so ya know

Offline PR_CONWAY24

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
BFM ROCKS IS A FUN SERVER WHEN U DONT WANT TO RACE LIKE ODDBALL AND WHTNOT
daft punk