Print 

Author Topic: Possible PC build for Christmas  (Read 952 times)

Offline Danger

• Junior Poster
Possible PC build for Christmas
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:29 PM »
I am thinking of trading in my Xbox 360 and all of the games I have for it for some $$ and asking everyone that might get me a Christmas present to just get me some cold hard $$ instead  ;D. And with this idea I have been doing some research on www.tigerdirect.com trying to come up with a decent list of parts to build my very own PC!  ;D  But, I am very noobish when it comes to this so I'd like to ask for some help with some questions I have such as, will all the parts I have selected so far "compatible" with each other or not, or if there is any other type of parts I am missing or are there any better suggestions for the same $$ or cheaper.

This is the list I have compiled so far:

CPU
Motherboard
Tower
PSU
Memory
Extra Fan
DVD Drive
Hard Drive
Video Card

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Re: Possible PC build for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:32:53 PM »
What's your $US budget?

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Danger

• Junior Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:12 PM »
I'll say $550.  That list comes up to $518. The cheaper the better, as this is with just money from trading in an Xbox 360 with a few games and whatever money i get from Christmas.

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59:45 AM »
I was able to go to Fry's with my $450 budget and made a complete computer nearly from scratch.  I saved maybe only about 2 parts from the old computer, such as the drives, which don't cost that much.  I am noobish in this area as well, but the reps were able to give me some sweet deals on some good cards and such.

Also, it depends on what you're looking for.  If you're not looking to do multiple things at once on your computer, then I would say that you probably don't need 4GB of RAM, you maybe only need one stick of 2GB.  My computer is running fine on 1GB, but of course we don't use it for much.

The core and motherboard look good and not too pricey.
If that's what you're looking for in a tower, then that one looks good.  If you want to go cheaper, there's several options that you have.  I would say that having 4 fans, one from the PSU, 2 from the tower, and 1 extra, may be a bit too much.  Unless you plan on continuously running your computer at peak performance, you probably don't need to buy that extra fan.
Everything else looks good.

Of course, remember that I'm a noob at this as well, so my opinion is not that good, because I just simply don't know what's good and what's not.  It looks like everything will work together, so I have no problem with it.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
If your thinking about an extra fan, you may want to explore the possibility of installing, and Arctic Cooling fan. Unlike normal fans where by they re-circulate the air in the case, the Arctic fans (which i believe attach to the graphics card) extract the air and blow it out the rear of the casing.  I have not used one, but a guy i knew used to have a water cooled system, then switched over to the Arctic system, and he said he would never go back, as it was cooling not just the card but the whole interior as efficiently as a water cooling system.

Sp@rt101

Offline Danger

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
With the help of some folks over at FT| ( Ben's CoD4 clan if you do not know!) I've come up with a new list thats even cheaper!  ;D

CPU
Motherboard
PSU
GPU
Tower
Hard Drive
DVD Drive
Memory

Print