Print 

Author Topic: Mic issues? or is it the onboard sound controller?  (Read 746 times)

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
Mic issues? or is it the onboard sound controller?
« on: October 30, 2009, 02:49:13 PM »
Ok, so here I am again.

I have been told by others on vent that my halo sounds (me crashing into trees/rocks etc) are actually louder than my voice, and that when I am speaking, my voice goes quiet after a very short time, to the point that I am inaudible.

I have just taken my mic headset back to the shop and got another one (different model) and it's still happening.

Is there anything in my sound set-up or vent set-up that I can change? (i have no idea) or do I need to get a new sound card maybe? as I  am currently using onboard sound.

some points for consideration....
  • I am using Vista home basic
  • I have onboard sound with 6 jack ports on the motherboard and two at the front of the case. (phone and mic)
  • The sound is controlled by Realtek HD audio manager
  • I recently disconnected the jack ports on the front of my case (which I had been using up till then) as the headphone socket stopped working (due to child-related damage to the actual socket)
  • my headset is the cheapest I could find, costing about £8 GBP and is by a manufacturer called 'trust'.
  • I do trust 'trust' because I have other PC peripherals by them that do work
  • i am confident in ripping apart my pc and putting it back together so installing a card or checking any connections internally is no problem to me, I just need to know 'what' to check.:P
Thanks for your time guys, I know you'll see me right.

BFM_Fraggle.
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
Re: Mic issues? or is it the onboard sound controller?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
Its a setting in your Realtek HD audio. You need to mute line in volume or playback volume etc (something along those lines). Go explore and test different things in it. Use ventrilo Test in setup with a little back ground music to test your results.

The problem is in your realtek settings for sure, however if you still cant solve the problem then plan B is to go a USB headset.

This is actualy a VERY common problem. Here is a post from Mxy ages ago about the problem

"This just came up elsewhere and it made me realize that I've never typed this in here before now ( Shocked ) so I'm "copying " it here:

If you're getting unwanted echo then you probably have one or both of the following two settings that need to be corrected:

- In Volume Control -> Playback: "Microphone" is enabled.  Mute it.

- In Volume Control -> Recording: Assure that only "Microphone" is selected, not e.g. "Stereo Mix" (actual wording varies between diff sound cards.)

I suggest that you bring up both sets of slider panels with every item selected so that you can see what else might be the problem, and then go back to the (smaller, useable) slider set(s) that you want to usually see when you bring up the slider panel thereafter....  (Or just write down the names of the ones that were selected in each slider set at the start and put things back as they were when finished... except for the changes mentioned above that is!!! >Doh!< )"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:23:57 PM by Taipan »

Print