Print 

Author Topic: Brief Question  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Akuma

• Junior Poster
  • Fist Philosopher
    • Akuma
Brief Question
« on: December 15, 2009, 02:57:14 AM »
I have been playing halo for quite awhile, but have not been racing very long.  I was referred here to these forums to 'clean up my act'.  Can someone briefly explain how it is that each player is supposed to juggle racing and defeating other players?  Each time I killed someone I received a complaint that I was "camping", but I also kept being killed by a player standing in one place with grenades when I did attempt to move through the nav beacons.

I suppose my main point is that I think we need some guidelines of some kind, with someone enforcing them at all times.  I wanted to give racing a chance, but I can simply move back to the CTF maps if this does not work out.

edit:  "PR_Elensar" linked me to your rules, which seem to clear things up a bit.  It looks like my favorite weapon is illegal, though, which might explain why I was accused of "camping".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:22:06 AM by Akuma »

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Brief Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:55:08 AM »

Specific questions would help a lot, at least I'd be able to explain those. It would also help you to send a PM to the admin if they were the one asking you not to camp. It would be good to let them know you'll ask them about it in the forums so they don't forget the moment.

If the rules cleared things up a bit but you still have some questions about certain things, let us know and we'll help you out.

The Race gametype does have a lot of rules and it can be a lot to take in when you're coming from CTF or the other gametypes. We try to have admins in the servers as much as we can, they can help you if you need it, though there isn't much room to type. There's also these forums, which is the best place to ask questions (plenty of room to explain things, very little risk of death :P).

Race is tons of fun, but it is different and takes some getting used to. We're here to help.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:47:12 AM »

Akuma, I'll just add a couple of things:

* race is all about getting laps
* camping is against the rules, and gets you no laps (either on foot or in a gunner's seat of a hog with no driver)
* fighting enemies on foot isn't strictly against the rules if you are defending yourself or fighting over a hog, but again you're not getting laps
* so you must do your best to find a hog and get moving
* so whenever you have the choice between getting in a hog and fighting on foot, pls choose the hog
* no sniper as it is a camping weapon - even if you're walking or in the passenger seat of a hog we do not allow the sniper, because it is too hard to admin who might be camping or not

I think you will find all of us very tolerant if you are trying to learn and follow the rules.  We do get a lot of "griefers" who come in to just camp and try to disrupt things for "fun" and they obviously get on people's nerves. 

As JANE said, race is a bit different.  There are a lot of rules, and unless everyone follows them, it turns to chaos and is unfair for the ones who are following the rules.

I don't know if you read the summary of the rules, or the full detailed ones.  The full detailed rules cover a lot of situations in more detail - worth at least skimming through them.

Thanks for taking the trouble to come to the forums and making an effort to learn.  Race is pretty addictive, hope you like it

Offline Akuma

• Junior Poster
  • Fist Philosopher
    • Akuma
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.  Also, I'm headed out on a vacation for the winter, but I will look forward to racing again as soon as I return on January 9th (sadly I can't bring my halo disk and computer with me).  You all seem polite, and I was also impressed with the expedite replies.  I suppose it IS a race guild.  Anyway I will be back in a few weeks and with any luck I can have a second chance at your guild's specific order of operation.

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 02:49:28 AM »
Akuma I came from CTF too and started playing race. It is an adjustment to say the least. We try to understand people could be coming from halo slayer or CTF. I can tell you I loved CTF. Now I would play it a lot but would get tired of it. Then I happened to try race. WOW, still not tired of it after almost 5 years. It just isnt the same thing over and over. There is so much strategy and driving and gunning. The one thing that is most important, you cant win this game alone. You cant be the best sniper or gunner etc and win. You must have teamwork to win. To me that is the best part. At times when your teammates aren't working as a team it is frustrating. But when you do get on a team that does work as a team.... WOW it is SO MUCH FUN!. Hang in there and you will get hooked! WE all did :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:41:52 AM by BFM_Wic »

Print