Print 

Author Topic: AVATAR - Like it or Love it?  (Read 5651 times)

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: AVATAR - Like it or Love it?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 12:37:03 AM »

Very impressive.  3D has come a long way.  Plot was very predictable and full of clichés, but not as bad as I'd expected I suppose.  It was sort of equal parts The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Transformers and Willy Wonka  :LOL:

I'm glad I saw it, wouldn't care to see it again, very impressed with the technology - I guess I'd agree with 7/10.

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 12:47:27 AM »
One of my friends described the idea behind the story as a combination of Xenocide and Star Wars. Of course, Xenocide was far superior in story, as was Star Wars, but still.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline Bob Marley

• Senior Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
I am not  fan of fantasy movies like Avatar, Harry Potter, LODR, etc.

But I absolutely loved this movie.  Not just the special effects, but also the plot and characters.

9.5/10

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 12:46:46 AM »

Well, I have a LOT to say about this movie, but I'll keep it short....

- Excellent overall, but the story was lacking - and too predictable. I kept saying that it seemed almost smarmy, like a Disney flick, and my son later realized that it was Pocahontas.... lol

- Frankly, seeing it any way other than IMAX 3D won't do it justice.... (Sorry for/to the folks who cannot see it that way....)

- It's already made US$1B, but the entire family is going to see it again... in IMAX 3D....

- True visual eye-candy, indeed, but it's WAY more impressive to a Computer Graphics nerd that was one of the first doing "3D" wire frame graphics on green oscilloscope screens...

- You don't even KNOW how technologically advanced this project was! The resultant movie bears NONE of the true advances resulting from Cameron's tenacity! Oh sure, you see the END result on the screen, but the advances he FORCED INTO BEING to make this film are going to change the entire movie industry! (I'd really like to post links to some of the technology articles, but they're all rife with reader commentary....  :-\  Hint: Nov 2009 WIRED magazine)

- The previous point bears repeating: The Making Of This Movie Was Unlike Any Movie Ever Made Before:

* Created a 350-page Pandorpedia [ example ] describing every aspect of the fictional planet Pandora, complete with environmental and zoological details of all life, as well as similar detail for all the human weapons, shps, vehicles, etc.

* REAL-TIME, REAL-WORLD FULL-MOTION CAPTURE of all the real-world actors in 3D motion-capture suits on 140 synchronized digital cameras on full-sized sets built inside the hangar in which Howard Hughes built the Spruce Goose.

* Invented a new type of 3D camera system (which Sony built esp. for him) to greatly improve upon current 3D capture and delivery methods. (His idea: Trash the current "screen plane" (related PDF technical paper) concept completely and go with a more natural, human-perception-based method.)

* Avoided "Uncanny Valley" problems - notably those that made other CGI movies (e.g. Polar Express) - feel "creepy" to watch by filming closeup (1" away from actor's face), wide-angle, high-def moving images of all the actors' visible facial expressions - right down to their facial pores - and used them to map onto their CGI counterparts.

* Built a computer farm that put all this together IN REAL TIME, so he could watch the "post-production" footage as it was being "filmed!"

Avatar is truly a technological masterpiece that will open the door for a totally new era of visual entertainment, with production "ease" and creative flexibility heretofore only imagined.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Elensar

• Senior Poster
    • Lots of cool pretty colors for forum use!!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
This movie was BY FAR the best movie I have ever seen in my life. I went away from that movie leaving part of my soul. I wanted to pack my bags and move to that planet and live with the Na'vi. When it comes out I will buy it and I might watch it daily!!!!!!
BFM_Elensar

First Forum Visit ~~~ 9/28/2009
Applied to BFM ~~~ 10/13/2009
Got Vent access ~~~ 11/13/2009
Got Small Tags ~~~ 01/04/2010
Got Big Tags ~~~ 04/14/2010

Thanks to BFM_BlitZ´ for da awesome siggy!!!!

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Want some information that will change your racing life? WATCH THIS!

Offline a_dude

• Newbie Poster
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »
Story = mediocre
Visual Effects = Awesome
3D = meh

So, I liked it, but didn't really love it. If the story had been vastly improved, then I would've loved it.
I'm a PR! I play on weekends mostly, and rarely during the weekdays.

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »

- Excellent overall, but the story was lacking - and too predictable. I kept saying that it seemed almost smarmy, like a Disney flick, and my son later realized that it was Pocahontas.... lol

Funny you should say that...

Just found this on failblog ::)

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
my son later realized that it was Pocahontas.... lol

Well its a little early in the year for this but here goes. Is this the biggest 'DOH!', moment of 2010? :doh: :LOL:
Well spotted Son of MrMxyzptlk, not even the critics noticed that one, and they get paid to do so :LOL:

Sp@rt101

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »

The New York Times critics noticed it.  Besides Pocahontas, said it also matched the plot for Dances With Wolves (white guy infiltrates natives, discovers they are more noble than his own people, marries squaw, leads rebellion against his own people).  Also compared it to the Last Samurai and Fern Gully.

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 02:43:59 PM »

The New York Times critics noticed it.  Besides Pocahontas, said it also matched the plot for Dances With Wolves (white guy infiltrates natives, discovers they are more noble than his own people, marries squaw, leads rebellion against his own people).  Also compared it to the Last Samurai and Fern Gully.

Thats a double 'DOH!' (Or is it triple?)  :doh: :doh: The script writers must have been having a lazy weekend on those days :LOL:

Sp@rt101

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
Story wasn't the best, but it didn't keep the overall enjoyment factor go down.

The effects were some of the best I have EVER seen. (Might ever top Lord of the Rings. :P)

My rating-9/10 Give it a bit better plot and it grades as a 10/10. 

Even with the plot being a bit "corny" I would have to say this movie was a very enjoyable experience, and I recommend it to EVERYONE.

~Bowser

Offline conrad96

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 03:53:40 PM »
loved it, the graphics were astonishing and 3D made it that much better. the story was kinda shaky at first but it got better later on in the movie. some awesome combat scenes too!

thanks BFM_xsix for the awesome sig

thanks bfm_marine for the sig

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

hold on to to your potatoes!

~Brian Posehn

thanks legend for the awsome sig :D

Offline Wolf

• Senior Poster
  • Woof!
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
I saw the similarities too in the movie to the aformentioned related movies such as Pocahontas. However, where the failure of many critics and other people is that it is a movie. Just go and enjoy it! Who cares if it may be a bit predictable or familiar so long as if you still enjoy watching it.

As for the similarities, they are of course going to be there. Numerous cases throughout human history have visitors coming to different areas and more often than naught wreaking havoc on the indigenous people. Clearest example is as you stated, with Native Americans and European settlers like in Pocahontas. It's a part of our history, sad that it is, that people find significant in a story they wish to create. In a way, it's a healthy reminder of what wrongs we can still do... especially if we find another world to settle that has beings there. Do we commit the same travesty? Even though the plot became obvious to me, I found it interesting in a new setting such as they potrayed.

On another note, I read a story on CNN today that blew my mind. People are becoming depressed and even suicidal over this movie. They are yearning for Pandora and see real life now as something meaningless or bad, in short. I know that the movie left me with disgust on how we've treated the planet so far but those feelings were already there. so it amazes me that people are having trouble distinguishing reality with this movie. Still, I am who I am and not them. I hope they can find the support to help them.
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul. Hope you like what you see....."

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 12:27:22 PM »
It was alright. Overhyped in my opinion.

agreed.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
Haven't seen it, not going to most likely.

The New York Times critics noticed it.  Besides Pocahontas, said it also matched the plot for Dances With Wolves (white guy infiltrates natives, discovers they are more noble than his own people, marries squaw, leads rebellion against his own people).  Also compared it to the Last Samurai and Fern Gully.

But then I remember something about how there are only so many basic storylines anyway. It's all about variations on a theme, really, isn't it?

On the face of it Sleepless in Seattle and You've got Mail are the same film (even the same two stars, Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan), them both being about people who fall in love before they even properly meet each other, but that doesn't stop each movie being enjoyable in its own right. Or Ice Age and The Incredible Journey. Or even Star Wars and The Princess Bride have some similarities (Fezzik and Chewbacca are so the same character really...).

Like Wolf says, enjoy it for what it is. THat's actually why I dislike critics anyway - who always seem to miss the point.

Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Print