Print 

Author Topic: everyone's a killjoy  (Read 2345 times)

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
everyone's a killjoy
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:32:37 AM »
I've always been killjoy on Halo (KillJoy).
My aol from ridiculously long ago has killjoy in it. My YouTube account (1.6 million upload views started Oct 29, 2006) has killjoy in it. And I was killjoy years before that.
All the way from original Halo, my name was killjoy on the Xbox console. I've been killjoy on BFM servers the entire time, from years back. Endured a domain change (I believe), and couple (apparent) database resets here at BFM forums.
Odd that my very unlucky day would be when Killjoy was suddenly used as a term in Halo 3 (when you end an opponent's killing spree, I believe).
You'd thinking having my all-time nic mentioned in the actual Halo game would be kinda cool. Not so much. It just means my name is no longer mine, and the killjoys will now forever be sprouting up like dandelions. So now all killjoys actions get blended into one big mess.

A plea to all the killjoys I see out on the servers: Please do my (ours now) nic proud when you're on the servers, as you now (whether you like it or not) represent our collective reputation. I've even seen conversations where two killjoys are being discussed as one. *sigh*
Like "good racer hen he wants to be". Thing was, "KillJoy" was the "good racer" and "Ki L L J OY" was the problem child. Pretty sure I was the only one who knew the whole picture in that deal. (I didn't participate in that convo, but I'm certain of the validity of that example, and can provide more details on it if necessary.)

So last night on a BFM server, I meet the capital K capital J KillJoy, just like me. Now that's there's every imaginable "flavor" of killjoy out there, I should have expected it. Still, it just isn't fun for me, as you can guess. So I ended up being Donut and Mopey and so on. It automatically changed every race. (BFM were present and could vouch for two "KillJoy" players being on server)

I know, it's no one's fault. Nobody is "doing me wrong", I'm not saying that. Just rather disappointed that my run as KillJoy may be over. My rep, good or bad, must ultimately be created by me, and not the army of killjoys now roaming the servers. Not sure how to proceed, but I'm kinda bummin' on it all.

If there is one important bit to this post (theres is, but just one bit), it is this: Please be aware there are plenty of killjoys on the collective Halo servers now. Please be cautious when formulating your opinion/policy on them.
Put more simply: "They're not all me." Even when they have the exact name, exact spelling, it might not be me.
*siiiiiigh*
KillJoy®

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
Re: everyone's a killjoy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:24:53 AM »
Add an alt code? Even just one should do the trick. -nods- Nothin' crazy though.... We still want to be able to recognize you. = )
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 05:48:42 AM »
That's a good tip. I could keep my spelling intact and just add something.
So I'm looking into my options with that now.
Thanks, SüprM@ñ.
KillJoy®

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:27:56 AM »
Hi there Mopey! :P

Yes, It's a fact of Halo servers that it won't allow two people of the same name to join a server, ad the slowest one in loses and gets a random name. It can be a useful way to pick up on impostors if you suddenly find that "BFM_Fender" has become "Disko". I knew it was you once you came back in the server as "realKillJoy".

I like the suggestion of adding one or two alt codes. I'm sure that no one is trying to pretend to be you deliberatelt, and it was just an accident, so this should be enoguh to let you race as the name you want ot be known by.

See you in the servers!!
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline MrT©

• Posts Too Much
  • Horses just naturally have Mohawk haircuts.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
Adding alt codes is a good idea, I was just MrT but then there was another MrT and people got confused so i added © on the end.  :)

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:48:11 PM »

Someone ruined killjoy's fun? Oh, the irony! :winkgrin:

Your name is just your Halo face and how we know to say hi to you in the servers. Your actions are what matters, and the same goes for everyone. If your name gets auto-changed to Goat or something every once in a while, we're still happy to have you in the servers because you do a good job and you're great to play with.

"killjoy" may never be as popular as Spartan or Masterchief (and never ever New001), but for however many are in the servers, we'll know a good killjoy from a bad one, and it doesn't matter what their name is.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
We love you Killjoy :D I hope you can continue to race with us for years to come :)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Elensar

• Senior Poster
    • Lots of cool pretty colors for forum use!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »
You could always do KillJoy1 (as in you are the first KillJoy!). I also like the alt code idea :D
BFM_Elensar

First Forum Visit ~~~ 9/28/2009
Applied to BFM ~~~ 10/13/2009
Got Vent access ~~~ 11/13/2009
Got Small Tags ~~~ 01/04/2010
Got Big Tags ~~~ 04/14/2010

Thanks to BFM_BlitZ´ for da awesome siggy!!!!

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Want some information that will change your racing life? WATCH THIS!

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:29:03 AM »
Hi there Mopey! :P
Hi, BFM_three60, Mopey here. :winkgrin:

OK, I decided what to do. As SüprM@ñ suggested, I made an alt code modification to my nic.
(BTW, SüprM@ñ = unique spelling = good idea)
I decided to mimic bfm_MrT©'s method, but instead of "©", I added "®" to the end of my name. I wanted to add the musical note code, but couldn't get it to work on Halo.
Anyway, that's my new nic, "KillJoy®". And thanks Jane and Hydra for the nice comments. :)
To all: I really appreciate all the help and the use of the BFM servers over the years. All of BFM deserves a big thanks from me for that. Thank You!!
See you all on the tracks.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:34:42 AM by killjoy »
KillJoy®

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 01:38:30 AM »
You could always do KillJoy1 (as in you are the first KillJoy!). I also like the alt code idea :D
That's a very good idea too!
KillJoy®

Offline BFM_Boredom

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »
Good job... it's definitely unique.  :)
[img

Offline Elensar

• Senior Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 01:20:51 AM »
And incase you didn't know you can change your forum name by following these simple steps:
  • Click this --> at the top of the website
  • All the way to the left of the page and down alittle there is a list of links, under "Modify Profile" click the first link called "Account related settings".
  • Then it should be the first option on the page "User Name"
BFM_Elensar

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »
What is this alt code thingy you speak of? I want to put it on my name!:) Can you help me do it???

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline Elensar

• Senior Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 04:54:07 AM »
Alt codes are basically symbols that look like normal letters, the symbols have specific purpose, but they look cool sometimes as well. Here is a site with a list of alt codes for windows that you can use: http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html
BFM_Elensar

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »
It says i'm forbidden to go into the website don't you just press alt and then a button??? :undecided:

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Print