Print 

Author Topic: Printer networking adapter  (Read 1217 times)

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
Printer networking adapter
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »
Well, I'm tired of having to e-mail everything to my desktop to be printed out. So, is there a USB printer adapter that I could buy so I can print through my router? My router does not have a USB port so I cannot just plug my printer into that and go from there. If needed, my printer is a Epson Stylus CX7800.
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Printer networking adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »

You want to print from what?  A laptop or something?  Do you have a a home network set up?  If so, and the laptop (or whatever) is connected to the network, you can share the printer from the desktop and you should be able to print that way.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:01:19 PM »
I think there are also some adapters that you can get for a printer that allow it to connect to network wirelessly and what not. Not too familiar with it as I still use the ancient way of connecting everything. = )
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:56:26 AM »

The easiest thing to do is get a network adapter for your printer that you would then simply wire into your router and hence your LAN.  (All my printers are connected this way....)  This turns your printer into a generally-available network device on your router's LAN.  Setup is generally very easy.

There are some problems in doing this, however: 1) You must get an adapter that is of the correct connector type for your printer, 2) They're hard to find any more, since many printers now have wireless built in (and the printer makers would rather you bought a new one!  ::) ), and 3) They're a bit pricey. (I got mine back when they were just $35.)

Doing some of the homework.legwork for you, since you were thoughtful enough to give the printer make & model, I can tell you these things you need to know:

- Handy link to Epson info about this product

- It has a USB 2.0 interface

Luckily it being USB means that you'll have a LOT of adapters to choose from , and they'll be inexpensive, too!  It ALSO means that you can even go wireless if you want to! (kewl!)

Here's a general Google search for these beasties.

I can't really make a recommendation for any of them, their being so many different ones, and what with them changing all the time, but scan through them, and any buyer feedback they might have, and post what you think you'd get here and I/we can look at it in more depth.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print