Print 

Author Topic: Pokemon Platinum; is Togepi worth training?  (Read 28943 times)

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
  • BOXISM!......... Resistance Is Futile!
Pokemon Platinum; is Togepi worth training?
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:51:21 PM »
To all the pokeplayers out there,

OK, so I've been playing Pokemon Platinum while I've been on the go.

So Dawn gives you an egg, I hatched it and got a lvl 1 togepi. I've currently got it up to lvl 5. All my other pokemon are at least lvl 23. I'm curious if training togepi is worth it. If i were to train togepi, I would use exp. share, but until it's strong enough, that weakens my team.

So ya, basically, is togepi worth the effort of training it?

Thanks Guys

Oh, and if i choose not to train it, I'm going to continue the training of my lvl. 20 Gastly.

Hmm, maybe It'll be a help If I tell you what my team is currently;

lvl. 23 Beautifly
lvl. 23 Ponyta
lvl. 23 Geodude
lvl. 23 Staravia
lvl. 27 Prinplup
and
lvl. 5 Togepi / lvl. 20 Gastly / lvl. 20 Eevee

EDIT~ Great  :P Another Choice  :-X I was just given a lvl. 20 Eevee....Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:09:43 PM by bfm_Liam »

May 13, 09-Got Halo
Later May, 09- Stumbled onto BFM server, loved it
June 24. 09-Joined Forums
August 9th, 09-Applied to be PR
Sept. 22, 09-Earned Vent Access
Nov. 12, 09-Earned Lil Tags!
Mar. 26, 10-Earned Big Tags!
Jan. 3, 11-Stepped Down from BFM
© LiamFilm™

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
Re: Pokemon Platinum; is Togepi worth training?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
Go with the Togepi. Why you ask? Togekiss

To summarize what that article will tell you, it goes something like this: To get Togekiss you need to use a Shiny Stone on a Togetic (which you get from a large level of happiness (still think that sounds weird...)). By using your experience share you'll raise Togepi's happiness due to it not dying. Once it gets to about level 15, you should be able to battle it on its own, and switch it out just before it dies to prevent from happiness going down. Once it evolves into Togetic you don't need to do anymore training to get to Togekiss. This is because Togekiss can already learn it's best moves (Extremespeed, Aura Sphere, Air Slash, and Sky Attack) through a Move Tutor reteaching it (which you can access fairly early in the game if I remember correctly). It has a good Special attack (Aura Sphere and Air Slash are special based), a respectable HP level and defenses, is one of the better newer evolutions in my opinion

Hope that helped :)

*Side Note* Another slight suggestion, switch out your Geodude for the Eevee and evolve it into a Jolteon. In your teams current state you'd get annihilated by a Water-Ice, based team (and there is a gym leader like that I believe). You need some protection for your Ponyta and Staravia (soon to be Rapidash and Starapter) if they go down in that fight.

I'm putting the Pokemon nerd back in it's closet now, don't worry :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:51:12 PM by ·WídgêT· »

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline Jmaster

• Senior Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
Im s big pokemon player

... if it were me, i wouldnt train the togepi, even though it can be a strong pokemon as a togekiss, u should wait to trian it till i was done with the ellite 4, so wat would i do between gastly and eevee, i would keep the eevee and trian it till i got a thunderstone, because looking at ur party u dont really have anything strong against water or flying types

so i woud keep the eevee and train it, there r 2 ppl in the elite 4 who have an evolved form of eevee, so if u train it right, u can have a powerful pokemon at ur side

PS the 2 in the ellite 4 with an evolved eevee is....

Flint(fire master)- Flareon
Lucian(Psycic master)- Espeon

Very Awsome DarkFyr, thanks

Thanks for the awesome medals slayton

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:21:58 PM »
I always make sure i have a gyarados, the starter one you get, and some other ones you get along the way. getting magikarp up to lv. 20 is definitly worth it. you can get them in any body of water once you get the old rod.

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
I'm kind of curious, what did you end up doing?

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
Well I haven't played it for like a month now, I actually forgot about the game, thanks for reminding me. Let's see what I chose...

*boots up DS*

lvl. 31 Ponyta

lvl. 32 Togetic

lvl. 35 Staraptor

lvl. 36 Beautifly

lvl. 37 Jolteon

lvl. 40 Empoleon

I've just beat the water boss sorry, Gym Leader. As you predicted I had a tough time and only won by buying a sunstone and the Thunder TM and using them on Eevee.

Right now I think I'm supposed to be chasing this dood into this lake place.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:37:02 PM by bfm_Liam »

May 13, 09-Got Halo
© LiamFilm™

Offline Jmaster

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »
i suggest finding a pokemon that can kearn a dragon type move, the pokemon doesnt have to be a dragon type, for example, a big suggestion is to try and find a gyrados instead of using ur empoleon

i know in the game empoleon was ur first pokemon as a piplup... but when it comes to the elite 4 an empoleon can be a very bad pokemon to have in ur party, mainly because of it second type... steel, because of this it has made empoleon super effective against ground and fire type moves... also, since it is a pretty big pokemon, it is also very slow which means they will get to attack first, before u will have a chance to use a water type move, thus u will faint in one hit

with a gyrados, if u train it instead of an empoleon, u dont have those weaknesses against fire and ground, in fact, u will do alot more damage to them than they will u because both ground and fire r weak to water, Since gyrados is also a dragon type u will have a pokemon that can beat the very strong garchomp that the champion has because dragon type moves r very effective against dragon types

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:34:22 AM »
Jmaster it's a good suggestion but unfortunately there's something you overlooked: Gyrados isn't Water-Dragon, it's Water-Flying, making it doubly effective against Electric types, and since the final gym leader is Electric and I believe has a Jolteon or a Raichu which can easy out-speed a Gyrados it would not be in your favor to find one.

Another thing you overlooked is the fact that, yes, fire types now do more damage to Empoleon because of the steel-type, but it will be just a normal attack. If I remember correctly, Empoleon's steel type helps more than hurts because now electric attacks do less damage, and even though ground type attacks are now super effective, most ground types (besides Dugtrio) aren't necessarily fast, and Empoleon has a high defense, so you can survive one hit and then knock it out with a move like Surf or Hydro Pump.

Having a Dragon-type move for the final isn't entirely necessary, but you do have a few options (listed in order of what I suggest you do)

1. Teach one of your Pokemon Ice Beam (can be found as a TM, will be doubly effective against Garchomp because he is Dragon-Ground, Empoleon should be able to learn it)

2. Teach one of your Pokemon Dragon Claw or Dragon Pulse (they are both TMs, and I'm almost positive Empoleon can learn Dragon Claw, and Togekiss may be able to learn Dragon Pulse)

3. Raise your own Garchomp (you can find Gible in the Cave under Route 209 I believe, but you'll need Flash).

If I were you I'd think of a strategy for the final gym before worrying about the Champion :P

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »
Hey, is GIRATINA worth using a Master Ball on? So far the best I've done without using it is 3 wiggles with an Ultra Ball, and that seemed a fluke. It seems invincible against Normal and Fighting Moves.

1. How about Blizzard instead?

2. The problem is, Empoleon is my only Pokemon that can learn Cut and Rock Climb, so those take up 2 of his moves.

3. Which Pokemon would I switch out for?

And, I found the Move Tutor in that city by the sea, the one where you can go to Iron Island, and He won't teach Togetic any of the moves you talked about. And, where do I get a Shiney Stone?

May 13, 09-Got Halo
© LiamFilm™

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 05:10:09 PM »
You can only get those moves once it evolves into Togekiss, and Shiny Stones can usually be found like normal items on the ground, you just have to do a little searching. I'll pull out my guide to the game in a bit and look up exactly where to find them.

Since Giratina is Ghost-Dragon (if I remember correctly), then it makes sense Normal and Fighting type moves have no effect on it. Your best bet is countering it with Dragon or Ice type moves, so Blizzard is a good option for you in this fight. As for your HMs, take them off your Empoleon, find a Pokemon in the wild that can learn both and catch one and put them on it. Then go to the Move Tutor on Iron Island to teach Empoleon the moves you got rid of to put the HMs on (make sure you find the right kind of Tutor, because I don't remember if the one on Iron Island is the right one).

Find some Dusk Balls to use on Giratina, they work well in dark areas (where Giratina is) and should help you catch him. They usually sell them in most PokeMarts so look around and see where you can buy some.

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Offline powergamer

• Junior Poster
  • I'm always here for you
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 06:05:21 PM »
Timer balls, dusk balls, ultra balls.

Try to get it down to a sliver of health, and put it to sleep/paralyze.

Offline Jmaster

• Senior Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
As widget says u gotta try and find a pokemon that can do those moves, the best bet to do is go into the safari zone and catch urself a Bibaral (not sure how u spell it) remember this is a pokemon only for HM's so no need to have it as a battle pokemon, take the HM moves off empoleon and put the HM moves rock climb, cut, rock smash, and stengh onto ur bibaral

Remmber, doing this u will only have 5 regular pokemon in ur party because u dont want bibaral as a fighting pokemon so every once in a while u gotta take ur 6th regular out of the PC and level him up

At for giratina he is part goast so normal and fighting types do not effect him at all

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
Found where they Shiny Stone is, only one that can be found like a normal item is on the B3F level of the Iron Island cave (the Basement level 3 floors down). Hope that helps.

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Print