Print 

Author Topic: New game - need help  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
New game - need help
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
So I'm making an RPG game using a program called RPG2003.

My plan is to do something like Kingdom Hearts, where each episode takes place on a different world.  But in my game, the player will be moving across different games, such as Halo, Mario, Zelda, etc.

I need some ideas for both games to use and possible sub-plots for each game.  I already have a few, but they all seem to be Nintendo games (I only have Nintendo systems, so that's why I'm asking all you Playstation and XBox users).  I would like the games to be famous enough that the player would probably know the game, but also classic.  Games like BioShock and No More Heroes will probably not work because they are too recent, but anything's possible (plus the 1st person shooter games seem to dominate the gaming world now, there's too many to choose from).  Games like Need 4 Speed or Boom Blox will probably not work because they don't have much of a plot or character development (They're just a series of challenges, nothing else).

I really don't want to restrict myself, but I know for a fact that certain games won't work.  I don't know much about all the games out there in the world, so that's why I'm having trouble.  (I'm limited to Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Megaman, and Duck Hunt)

Once I finish the game, I can send it to some of you to Beta test, but that won't be for a while (plus you have to be nice to me for me to even consider you for beta testing :P). 
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
Re: New game - need help
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »
you forgot metriod  ;D

Offline Fuse

• Junior Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:57:23 PM »
Oooh Beta test :3 Ill be nice to you. What kind of games we looking for? I mean there is Prince of persia, Batman, Pokemon,Ninja Gaiden, quite a few to choose from actually. Would you just like me to post every game I can think of with an in depth storyline? (also Myst was a good one)

Thanx Benjy for the awesome Siggy!

Thanks TH-7 Erik! Love it!

"E.T. for the Atari, if you place this game in the console, puppies die. That's how bad it is."

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »
@ Tails: I was definitely thinking about Metroid.  The plot could be that the Metroids are going berserk, and Samus enlists the help of the player to calm them down.  I don't know much about Metroid, other than Samus is a female. :XD:

Or maybe some other bounty hunters are trying to kill Samus.  That may be too many miniboss fights, so if I go this route, it should be one of the last worlds.

If you have any ideas for a plot for Metroid or any other game, feel free to shout them here.

@Fused:  I am open for any suggestions on the games.  I don't need to know about the game's actual storyline, but something that I could use for the RPG itself.  Anything will help at this stage, I'm still at the "storyboard" stage in the making.

Not sure Myst would work.  I played that game when our Windows 95 was working.  Very abstract, requires you to think a lot, plus there's no enemies at all (I could find some suitable enemies, but then it wouldn't fit the barreness of the island).  If you can come up with a good plot for it, go right ahead and say it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:04:58 PM by BFM_Goalie »
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:00:51 AM »
I've been a PC gamer for ever, so I can suggest a few of my fave fantasy genre RPGs and FPS games...

RPG's : Might and Magic
            Heroes of Might and Magic
            Divine Divinity
            Discworld
            Baldur's Gate
            Theme Hospital (er... but yeah, I lOVED that game)
            Command and Conquer (more of a strategy, but worth a mention)

FPS: Doom! Definitely Doom! moon base invaded by monsters, Awesome! More to the point, there's not just monsters in Doom, There's HORDES! you get assaulted by several monsters at once instead of 1 or 2 large monsters. *runs off to find a DOS emulator so he can play Doom again*
Quake,
Splinter Cell,
Rainbow 6
Ghost Recon

I hope this throws a few ideas your way. If you need any details of any of the games, lemme know. :)
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:22:58 PM »
Command and Conquer is the only one out of that first list that I recognize.  Doom I have heard of as well, and splinter cell and ghost recon.

I don't know anything about most of those games.  If you can come up with a good subplot for those games, go right ahead.  I can always look on Wikipedia for character bios and game info if I'm gonna use that game.

Thinking about it now, Splinter Cell may work.  I like the idea of having a covert operation.

Offline OBOLeader

• Regular Poster
  • Established thread killer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »
Hmm im going to agree with some of Fraggles games

Doom is a awesome game, with awesome gameplay and storyline

C&C is good too, but storyline jumps from game to game

Halo of course, good storyline, and would make a great new game based around it. Might wanna also read the books too!

Gears of War 1 and 2 are good choices if your looking for a shooter style.

Neverwinter Knights has a VERY in-depth storyline, with lots of lore in the game plus item making, spells, and swordfighting.

Starcraft of course! Storyline kinda starts in the middle, but if you read the books, you understand it well

If you want a turn based game, take a look at Civilzation and Galactic Civs. Very good turn based games.

If you want a good medevil/fantasy game look at the Elder Scrolls series. Good games, and good graphics.

If you want a RTS space game, look at Sins of a Solar Empire, good game, graphics, and controls are very easy to learn

If you want more of a older game feel, look at Warcraft III, custom games are makeable, and mapping is easy and fast if you like that stuff.

Lastly, for a Tycoon style game, look at Rolercoaster tycoon, or Zoo Tycoon 1 and 2.

That should cover most game types, hope this helps!
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/NewTooru/
Discord: Tooru#1375
Battle Net: Tooru#11787

Print