Print 

Author Topic: I.T Engineer Course.  (Read 1072 times)

Offline BFM_Đragons

• BFM Admin
I.T Engineer Course.
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm going to be start and engineer course in college in september,
and im skipping a year straight to level 2.

so like if anyone could post some tutorial links or anything to do with
taking apart a computer, repairs ect. will be a great help,

Cheers Guys :)

Đragons

Thanks to  bfm_Dusaro For The Sig!

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
Re: I.T Engineer Course.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »
Youtube is the best place to learn how a computer works and how to troubleshoot one.

However Computer Engineering will not focus on how to fix a computer. First year you will focus on just Physics, Math plus some simple Electrical and Computer engineering topics which will probably include fundamental logic designs (logic gates, boolean, flip-flops etc) and intro to electrical circuits (circuit topologies, DC intro stuff like, voltage, current, power, resistance, conductance, Ohm's Law, Kirchoff voltage and current laws and basic circuit analysis). But since your skipping a year you should already know it all.

So as you can see there is no fixing/building computers just yet.

Unless I am mistaken and you doing an IT course instead, but that isnt exactly Engineering.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:55:17 PM by Taipan™ »

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:16:43 AM »
Engineering mainly focuses on creating or improving processes or products.

Information Technology deals more with the networking and software aspect of computers.  i.e. The movement of information using modern technology, hence the name. (At least from what I gather from observing the IT department here at uni)  Wikipedia entry

If you wanted to repair computers, you would want to get a degree in Techie-ness.  Or a degree in computer science.  Whichever you prefer. ;)

Your title and your first post together confuses me as to what you are doing in college. 
If you are in engineering, then yes, your first year (as year 2) will mostly be comprised of higher level math and physics courses, and low level engineering, such as statics and dynamics, circuit analysis, and others.  Your final two years will be mostly in your area of expertise.  (me being an industrial engineering major)

If you're going into IT, then you'll still mostly deal with the higher level math and physics courses your first year.  But then I would assume you'd learn more about different types of software, data management, and the capabilities of networking more than fixing a computer.  (Not saying that it couldn't be a side job)

But like Taipan said, YouTube is probably the best way to learn how to fix computers, or to at least give you an overview of what you may be doing.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »
I have nearly completed my IT System support course at level 3, and obtained a MCSA qualification.

If you give me more specifics on the course, i might be able to help, is it City and Guilds?

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
I have nearly completed my IT System support course at level 3, and obtained a MCSA qualification.

If you give me more specifics on the course, i might be able to help, is it City and Guilds?

Yet you constantly pester me on how to build a computer and what components to use -_-

Yeah Computer Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering and Electrical Engineering have pretty much the same subjects for the first 2 years (I am doing Electrical). So I can tell you that there is no fixing of personal computers involved. It is a little deeper then that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:26:09 PM by Taipan™ »

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
Yeah Computer Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering and Electrical Engineering have pretty much the same subjects for the first 2 years (I am doing Electrical). So I can tell you that there is no fixing of personal computers involved. It is a little deeper then that.

I would imagine all three of those to be in the same department, if not interlinked.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »

I would imagine all three of those to be in the same department, if not interlinked.

Yeah the University I go to they are. The Engineering Department :P

Print