Print 

Author Topic: Did I camp 1Manstand on Death Island?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline BFM_Donut

• BFM Admin
    • Carp Without Cars
Did I camp 1Manstand on Death Island?
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
I know 1Manstand is an experienced player, so when he accused me of camping today on Death Island it made me wonder. I thought what I did was legit, but I've been wrong before. Please let me know what you think.

I was driving a hog solo on Death Island. An enemy chaingun hog with a gunner came toward me driving the wrong way; I assume they were picking up a missed nav after a respawn. The gunner was looking the other way, and didn't notice me until after I'd passed them, and they continued wrong-way long enough to disappear from my radar, so I thought maybe I'd be lucky enough to escape them.

No such luck. I started taking fire from the rear. I did my best to drive fast, but they had apparently turned around and were following me now, because they continued to score hits, and my shield was dropping. I turned through the tunnel just before the small jump (the one just before the big jump) with my shield gone, and my health going. I was taking more fire as I went up the ramp for the small jump, so they were close enough that they must already have been through the tunnel at that point, though I don't remember if they were showing on my radar.

By the time I cleared the small jump I was down to two or three bars of health, with no shield. I was pretty sure that if I continued up the slope to the big jump I was going to be killed. So I jumped out as soon as I hit the ground (that is, as I landed from the small jump), waited for them to appear, and stuck a plasma on the hog as it made the small jump.

One interesting twist that may or may not be relevant: At more or less the exact moment I was throwing the nade, I saw that the gunner was already dead; his body was flying out of the hog. I'm guessing that must have meant that a hog on my team that I hadn't known about was trailing them, and had shot him? Or maybe he'd quit just at that moment? I'm not sure about that, but I want to emphasize that I didn't nade them knowing the gunner was no longer a threat; if I'd realized that, I would not have naded.

The nade went off and killed 1Manstand (which is how I learned that he had been the driver), and he promptly accused me of camping. I replied, "No, it was self-defense." He responded in turn that no, I'd waited for them, which made it camping. I didn't want to argue, so I dropped it, but now I'm curious who was right.

Playing it back in my head, I think the time that I stood there hidden by the jump, waiting for them, was at least 1 second, but probably no more than 2 seconds, and certainly not as much as 3 seconds.

So, was it camping? If so, my apologies.

Thanks.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Did I camp 1Manstand on Death Island?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »

That's kind of a tricky one. It does seem like self-defense, but it would be camping because you were hiding and attacked while hiding.

If you had jumped out of your hog while you were in the open, you could have waited the one second, or thrown some long nades. This is different from your hiding and nading once they appeared because they could have tried to defend themselves against you (by driving evasively and shooting at you) if you were in the open.

1Manstand must have known you were behind the ramp, but he couldn't do anything to defend himself or his (soon to be dead) gunner because that would mean going around the ramp (and missing the nav, not racing) to chase you.

In that situation, you would have been free to jump out of your hog to defend if they were on your radar. If they aren't on your radar, they're really too far away to defend yourself against and, if you wanted to live, you should have tried to hide somewhere off the track and out of their sights until they passed, then continued racing.

You handled it well in the server, good job dropping it and bringing it here. But yes, you were an unwitting camper. ;D

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:54:06 PM by BFM_JANE »

Offline BFM_Donut

• BFM Admin
    • Carp Without Cars
Re: Did I camp 1Manstand on Death Island?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
But yes, you were an unwitting camper. ;D

Well, shoot. I'll have to apologize next time I see him.

Thanks for the explanation.

Pvt Donut

Print