Print 

Author Topic: Backing up your COD4 Profile *GUIDE*  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
Backing up your COD4 Profile *GUIDE*
« on: June 25, 2010, 11:24:12 PM »
This is a short tutorial on how to backup your COD4 profile (rank, unlocks, config etc)

Please read the tutorial based on your OS (Operating System)

Windows XP

Navigate to this folder location, via manually, or by pasting it into a run command. :
C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players

The folders inside will contain your different profiles, with each folder, named according to what you ORIGINALLY called the Profile.

So, this means, should you of started playing cod4 as PR_Ben but are now BFM_Ben, the folder will still be called PR_Ben, even though you have done a "/name BFM_Ben" in the ingame console.

Backup the entire folders for the profiles you wish to keep.  paste back to the same location for a restore of all previous settings.

Windows Vista / Windows 7

Navigate to this folder location, via manually, or by pasting it into a run command. :
C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\

Look for a players folder, if one is not present, at the top of your window try clicking "Compatibility Files" For example:

If a players folder was already present, but there is nothing inside it, try the above compatibility files button.

If this does not work. we will need to locate your profiles manually, which means, in a windows explorer window, go to.

Tools > Folder Options > View then check the box saying to show hidden files and folders.

then, navigate to the following

C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles

*NOTE* Copying / Pasting the above will NOT work, unless your name is Ben! you either have to exactly match your username, and replace Ben in the above, or manually go through the folders in the sequence above, clicking the user-name which you log on with when you play COD4.

The folders inside will contain your different profiles, with each folder, named according to what you ORIGINALLY called the Profile.

So, this means, should you of started playing cod4 as PR_Ben but are now BFM_Ben, the folder will still be called PR_Ben, even though you have done a "/name BFM_Ben" in the ingame console.

Backup the entire folders for the profiles you wish to keep.  paste back to the same location for a restore of all previous settings.

WHY DOES IT DO THIS TO ME? DOES MY VISTA/WIN7 HATE ME?

In the newer OS's, when COD4 is installed, depending on how it is installed, and then run, it seems to have permission issues writing to the profiles folder in your "normal" location of the game, which means it writes your profile information to your profile instead. it seems to be completely random at times, but just try the methods listed above, you should find it. do NOT download ANY "profile backup cod4" tools, or any "100 fps boost" tools while your at it. they are almost always "key stealer's" riddled with viruses.

Any problems, PM myself, or anyone else savvy with the ways of COD4  :zoot:

Print